Kevin Hayes vs Charlie Coyle

• Kevin Hayes

• Charlie Coyle

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Hayes has typically been better offensively....and is better defensively. He has been fantastic on the PK helping the Flyers to be the 3rd best PK in the league at 85.7%. Being able to roll him on one unit, and Couturier on another is fantastic.

Last year, they were 26th best on the PK.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
No contracts, it's not even close for me. Kevin Hayes is the better and more versatile player. He's a natural center who plays both ends and can add value all around. At the high-end...i think Hayes probably takes it with comparable linemates to what Coyle sets his career highs with.

In similar roles where they're essentially middle-6 ~40-50pt guys with size they don't always use, i'd take the 2-way Center every time. It's Hayes imo. I like his top end better, and probably more importantly to a good team...i like his low end better. I think he's better suited to anchor a dynamite 3rd line, with more than enough ability to move up into a #2C comfortably...or even a wing roll if needed.

Coyle isn't impressive as a center, and his best results in really favourable roles with plenty of PP time, etc...reflect lesser ability and upside.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
No contracts, it's not even close for me. Kevin Hayes is the better and more versatile player. He's a natural center who plays both ends and can add value all around. At the high-end...i think Hayes probably takes it with comparable linemates to what Coyle sets his career highs with.

In similar roles where they're essentially middle-6 ~40-50pt guys with size they don't always use, i'd take the 2-way Center every time. It's Hayes imo. I like his top end better, and probably more importantly to a good team...i like his low end better. I think he's better suited to anchor a dynamite 3rd line, with more than enough ability to move up into a #2C comfortably...or even a wing roll if needed.

Coyle isn't impressive as a center, and his best results in really favourable roles with plenty of PP time, etc...reflect lesser ability and upside.

That's basically what Charlie Coyle is right now..... On a pretty good team.... He was also that elite #3C on a team that was in the Stanley Cup finals not 6 months ago. Now with Bergeron injured of and on for the past few weeks he's playing the role of a #2C. He will occasionally shift to RW in a pinch or when the bench in shortened late in games. Plays both PP and PK.... That's what a versatile 2-way C does..... Both the individual results and team results back that up.

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
I think that they are remarkably close. A slight nod to Hayes for what I expect him to do but if I had to choose between them considering all factors, Coyle is who I would take considering that there has been no production difference between them this year.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
close but hayes. equal defensively, coyle the more talented offensive guy but hayes the significantly superior offensive play driver

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Coyle is one of those players where the eye test and stats diverge considerably. He's nothing special defensively but he's absolutely insane for puck protection, drawing the opposition in, and finding the open man. He looks like a man against boys quite a bit with the way he can shield the puck. I think if he were to play with a legit sniper, he'd start piling up the points like crazy, which is why it surprises me that the Bruins don't go with Coyle in between Marchand/Pastrnak when Bergeron is out of the lineup.

ORRMAN

Dec 3, 2008
Coyle over Hayes because Kevin is Jimmy's brother, and Jimmy might have been the worst player in the NHL. He's got some of that DNA.

Coyle has a great tool box and is probably the best possession player (as in holding/protecting the puck) on the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad