Kevin Hayes recruitment

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
It would be interesting. Not sure that there's a lot of space guaranteed on the NHL club with so much forward depth at the moment. Not high end, but there are a legitimate number of bodies.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Honestly, there will be opportunity here, but he'd have to start the year in the AHL, which I think he's trying to avoid.

To sign a UFA prospect then gift him a NHL spot would go against everything Tim Murray has said so far about 'everyone has to earn their spot'. If Hayes is willing to go to the amerks and fight for a NHL spot, then sure, free asset.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Honestly, there will be opportunity here, but he'd have to start the year in the AHL, which I think he's trying to avoid.

To sign a UFA prospect then gift him a NHL spot would go against everything Tim Murray has said so far about 'everyone has to earn their spot'. If Hayes is willing to go to the amerks and fight for a NHL spot, then sure, free asset.

I agree.

This is what I would tell him: we can't guaranty you a roster spot and you don't want to be a part of an organization that does that. We have lots of competition at right wing but you will be given every opportunity to win a spot. If you do I will make the necessary roster moves to make room.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee

Great point. I wasn't trying to state that we shouldn't attempt to sign him.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Great point. I wasn't trying to state that we shouldn't attempt to sign him.

And I wasn't trying to state that we should sign him. But if TM thinks he is still a 1st round talent and legit future NHL player then I think you make the room.

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
Is it even worth it? There's no room in our top six and we're not gifting spots to anybody.

Which nhl team would Hayes be a top 6 player on at this point anyway?

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Is it even worth it?

It would be if TM feels he is going to be a legitimate NHL'er.

Look at our RW depth:
Stafford
Stewart
Gionta
Flynn
Kaleta
Armia
Fasching
Baptiste
Bailey
Cornel
Olofsson

Lots right? Just like we had a lot of depth on D when we offered Suter $100M.
Who knows if UFA's Stewart, Stafford and Kaleta are in the future plans past this season. So I'll list depth for 2015-2016, without additions, of players who will most likely be ready for the NHL:
Gionta
Flynn
Armia

We have great future RW prospects, but do we have a 22 years old 6-foot-3, 205-pound left-handed shooting right winger who may be NHL ready a year or two earlier than the rest?

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
I would take a go at him as soon as he hits UFA if I'm Murray. With this competition for power forwards in our organization heating up, I'd love another one in the mix here in Buffalo to add further competition to these guys, make them be the best they can be.

Dunkster19

May 3, 2013
I would take a go at him as soon as he hits UFA if I'm Murray. With this competition for power forwards in our organization heating up, I'd love another one in the mix here in Buffalo to add further competition to these guys, make them be the best they can be.

Interesting that in his interview today TM kinda glossed over the Kevin Hayes issue at the end. Not sure what that means. Are we in hot pursuit or does he feel we are not one of his option at this point?

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Interesting that in his interview today TM kinda glossed over the Kevin Hayes issue at the end. Not sure what that means. Are we in hot pursuit or does he feel we are not one of his option at this point?
If he's currently not an UFA, he could get into trouble, couldn't he?

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010

Didn't catch the interview, but TM strikes me as the kind of guy that isn't going to tip his hand.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Didn't catch the interview, but TM strikes me as the kind of guy that isn't going to tip his hand.

Good point. It was just odd because usually he is so direct. You are probably right, he just couldn't talk about it yet.

I watched the interview, and it is really ****ING hard to understand what they are asked half of the time. He started talking about one team with regard to what I thought was Hayes and said they had permission to talk with the player, then finished with something about Chicago and a conditional 7th rounder - so I have no idea who Murray was talking about, but he said quite a lot about 'big body' and the type of player they'd consider.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I don't think anybody should be "gifted" a spot. Does anybody think he would earn it out of camp? Hayes is big, offensively gifted, probably a touch slower than ideal, but would be a nice addition at a stage in his career where the Sabres have limited assets. Those assets being in their mid 20s. I think he might sign considering the open competition for spots, as well as the likelihood of some vets being traded this season. I don't like the idea of all of our in-house wingers being 19-20 or younger, for those who have top six potential. I could also be crazy, but beside Fasching, the Sabres don't have a player that is similar to Hayes anywhere in the pipeline. I really like the idea of him being on the top nine, considering the Sabres will probably not have the talent to have much separation between their top three lines. And that would give TM a lot of flexibility to trade Stafford/Stewart without forcing a young guy into the lineup or a scrub. Now does Hayes have the vision to take the deal and then play with McEichel or Reinhart for the rest of is career?

Bps21*

Isn't there a thing about discussing other teams players anyway? Signed or not Hayes is a property of the Blackhawks for a few more weeks and talking publicly about your intentions or thoughts on him could be seen as tampering or some crap. He seemed to blow right past the question, half way through realized people probably didn't realize he was talking about JST so he made it clear, then finished up.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore

He was asked a direct question about Hayes and JST. He glossed over Hayes because he's another organization's property, and noted that Chicago has no incentive to trade him because they'll compensated with a pick if they can't sign him.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Look at our RW depth:
Stafford-- likely gone next year
Stewart-- likely gone next year but I could see one of these two getting a short contract
Gionta-- around for 3 yrs unless he retires early. Inn year 3 of the cntract I see him as someone who is in the pressbx half the games
Flynn--- likely not back next year unless he improves
Kaleta-- gone after this year
Armia--- post deadline part of team in top 3 lines in 15/16.
Fasching--AHL in 15/16
Baptiste--AHL in 15/16
Bailey--in AHL 15/16
Cornel--- probably won't see any of him with the sabres till 18/29
Olofsson--- rights for 4 yrs. sabres likely not see him ntil 2018/2019 at the earliest

Lots right? Just like we had a lot of depth on D when we offered Suter $100M.
Who knows if UFA's Stewart, Stafford and Kaleta are in the future plans past this season. So I'll list depth for 2015-2016, without additions, of players who will most likely be ready for the NHL:
Gionta
Flynn
Armia

---/actually Hodgson sifts to RW to fill in one of the top 3. Larsson can also play RW. I don't see Flynn being back-----

Comments above.

The other issue is there is a 50 contract limit. Based on cap geek they have 47 contracts and Adam to sign. I think they need to be careful here and leave some room for trades.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
I watched the interview, and it is really ****ING hard to understand what they are asked half of the time. He started talking about one team with regard to what I thought was Hayes and said they had permission to talk with the player, then finished with something about Chicago and a conditional 7th rounder - so I have no idea who Murray was talking about, but he said quite a lot about 'big body' and the type of player they'd consider.

Wish I had heard the interview. And I agree, I very rarely hear the questions being posed, only the responses.
As for the finished with something about Chicago and a conditional 7th rounder, anyone know of what that was about?

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Wish I had heard the interview. And I agree, I very rarely hear the questions being posed, only the responses.
As for the finished with something about Chicago and a conditional 7th rounder, anyone know of what that was about?

He was discussing both Hayes (thus Chicago) and the Samuels-Thomas acquisition (which is where the conditional 7th came up).

Bearbait

Mar 4, 2011
The other issue is there is a 50 contract limit. Based on cap geek they have 47 contracts and Adam to sign. I think they need to be careful here and leave some room for trades.
This is a great point, Buffalo would have cap space and contracts to give, a very enviable position when it comes to the trade market.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Comments above.

This reasoning applies when debating adding another middling depth player, but it doesn't apply to adding a top college UFA. Hayes won't be a star player imo but he's a reasonably valuable prospect. If he wants to sign here, you sign him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad