Player Discussion Kevin Fiala: Ceiling Poll

What Is Kevin Fiala’s Ceiling?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I’m interested to see where everyone is on him. Skill-set is just incredible. Comment what you think the goals/assist split will be. Personally, I think he’s probably a 13-17% shooter any given year. I mean, Staal shot like 20% when he scored 42. Over his most recent scortched earth streak, he’s been averaging 4 shots per game. I think he could keep that up, but I’m just going to say he regresses a bit to shooting 3 times a game. So, over 82 games, that’s a spectrum of 32 to 42 goals. Obviously, I think a fair-but of disdain needs to be excercised at the top of that range. If we give him the opportunities we’ve been giving him, and he continues to shoot, he should have no issues staying in that range. So, since it’s a ceiling, I’ll say he has a 40 goal ceiling. This year he’s on pace for 40 assists over 82 games. I think that’s a safe bet going forward, and I think he could actually improve on that if we give him better linemates. He is producing at that rate while playing 2/3rd line minutes the first 55 games of the year. If he’s playing with Kaprizov and/or a capable C, I‘d put his assists at 50, just picking up a few more with better linemates. That makes the bottom end of my range 32+40 for 72 points. The higher end is 40+50 for 90 points. Because it’s a Ceiling, I’m going with the higher end of the spectrum, saying he can be an 80-90 point player.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I see him as a 30-40 goal scorer, so the range is anywhere between 60-80 points. I don't think a lot of teams have a ton of tape on Fiala yet (he has never been the primary focus for offense, so teams aren't keying in on him yet), and I think his shooting percentage might settle down in the upper 9% to lower 11%.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
It all depends on who he is surrounded by. I've noticed that he and Spurgeon have chemistry, but I can't think of a forward he really clicks with. You need that to be really productive. Right now he is doing it almost all on his own. He isn't getting fed beautiful passes that he just has to pop in, for the most part.

Reactions: cris10

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
Look.

If Fiala plays with McJesus, Drai, Mack, etc he's an 90-100 point player if he plays like this.

He's on a hot streak right now without playing with elite players. So, that's promising, but it isn't 82 games either. I think even if he starts hot next year, he cools off at some point. Playing with Staal or someone like that he's a 70 point guy.

If we trade for a Domi or someone, and Fiala meshes with Kaprizov on a line or on the PP, his point will increase.

He is so crazy skilled. I wish we had an elite center to watch the destruction.

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
Look.

If Fiala plays with McJesus, Drai, Mack, etc he's an 90-100 point player if he plays like this.

He's on a hot streak right now without playing with elite players. So, that's promising, but it isn't 82 games either. I think even if he starts hot next year, he cools off at some point. Playing with Staal or someone like that he's a 70 point guy.

If we trade for a Domi or someone, and Fiala meshes with Kaprizov on a line or on the PP, his point will increase.

He is so crazy skilled. I wish we had an elite center to watch the destruction.

I voted 70-80 points, but this is the post that makes me rethink my own position a little bit. I do think it's important to realize that if he was playing with a elite/border-line elite center that his ceiling is raised so to speak.

I do think he's a 70-80 point caliber player, but he could score more points than that with elite linemates.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Dependent on who his future centers are, but with a true #1C, I think his ceiling is 45 goals-55 assists. The guy's a dynamic skater and his shot is absolutely lethal. Can't wait to see him and Kaprizov on the #1PP next season.

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
Realistically, with this current core of the team, with a good feeder/center, I'd put him at a high 60's to low/mid 70's. If they get a few more threats on the team where he's not 'the guy' all the time, probably high 70's, maybe crack 80 a few times. It won't be long before opposing teams key in on him and start actively trying to shut him down. There always seems to be a lull or grace period between the time a player starts to explode and when teams figure out that that player needs to get extra attention. So, unless he gets help next year, I kind of expect a dip in production unfortunately. I believe he's got the skills to be higher, but also the underlying (unintentional) theme of this team since it's inception, seems to be to sponge off the top end ceiling of players.

So, ceiling: high 70's to 80.

Realistically, high 60's to low 70's

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Shoresy

May 1, 2014
Florida
30-40 goals, 40-50 assists.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see him break a point per game by a little or to fall just below.

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
We're talking about ceiling here, so the realistically best possible peak year of his NHL career.

So how can anyone vote for 70-80? I mean there is a good chance he will hit that range in his first full MIN year at 23 yo... where he was scratched or playing 3th line minutes for a big part of the season.
He has 53 points in his last 56 games, I disagree that we have seen his ceiling already.

P10p

May 15, 2012
Think his absolute ceiling is around 90 who knows though. Few months ago we woulda been praying that one day he hits 60-70

Reactions: Soldier13Fox

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
We're talking about ceiling here, so the realistically best possible peak year of his NHL career.

So how can anyone vote for 70-80? I mean there is a good chance he will hit that range in his first full MIN year at 23 yo... where he was scratched or playing 3th line minutes for a big part of the season.
He has 53 points in his last 56 games, I disagree that we have seen his ceiling already.

I anticipate around 80 next year if he gets the same usage he’s getting now but with Kaprizov. If those two had a legit center, I wouldn’t be surprised to see upwards of 90 from him.

Realistically we may never see his actual ceiling, which might be counterintuitive, but in a better situation he could be a 100 point player and we may never know it because we don’t have linemates for him.

Reactions: Soldier13Fox

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
I guess I'm cautiously optimistic at, 80-90. This 70 talk is bananas....

Edit. Poor choice of words, if I'm cautiously optimistic I go 90-100 ceiling. Cautiously realistic is 80-90

Also, this is a great poll. He has been nothing short of electric and it's fun to think about... Especially with Kap coming over.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad