GDT: Ketchup @ Mustard, 23/12/16 8PMEST

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
My Shitty Game Radar went off after the 1st so I watched the football game until the last minute or two.

Reactions: marcel snapshot

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
1702783827817.gif

My game puck goes to Martin Fehervary for a team-leading 71% xGF share. Honorable mentions to Tom Wilson, Dylan Strome, and John Carlson.

Reactions: SecretaryofDefense5

WanderingCapsFan

Mar 31, 2008
Marana, Arizona, USA
Better team won.

Looks to me that Carbery is getting better results than the sum of the parts.

No real sustained offensive pressure. Because.......

Outside of Strome, McMichael, Protas, Wilson and the third line, not much.

(yes, I specifically left out Mantha because, unlike popular opinion, he is still bringing soft nothingness)

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Seems like every opponent is playing like prime Hasek. Oh well, not worried about it. They want to win, they'll win. I was mad the other night when they virtually quit in Philly in the third.

TheSmokingMan

Nov 20, 2006
Maryland
I don't think they played a bad game. I thought the effort was pretty good and they dominated stretches of the game. The difference, as it has been all season, they aren't getting enough high danger chances, and when they do, the puck isn't going in.

Reactions: tycoonheart

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
Ovi had one 93 mph shot and one 98 mph shot which is great for in game situations so the velocity is still there. But is he just a little bit slower in his release? Felt that way tonight but im not sure.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I think Jensen needs a scratch. On the Preds PPG, he had control of the puck and failed to clear it out of the zone or give it to teammate to clear it. Then he didn't mark the Preds player who redirected the puck past Lindgren! Jensen killed his own team twice with one stone!

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Better team won.

Looks to me that Carbery is getting better results than the sum of the parts.

No real sustained offensive pressure. Because.......

Outside of Strome, McMichael, Protas, Wilson and the third line, not much.

(yes, I specifically left out Mantha because, unlike popular opinion, he is still bringing soft nothingness)
The better team won? Did you watch the game? Honest question, not trying to be an ass or anything.

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
It’s going to be really difficult to win games without Ovechkin scoring.

I thought he played better last night.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
They were very good in the 2nd period. 3rd period they were okay, the effort was there but they played without much of a purpose. Preds really didn't have to do much in the 3rd. The issue with this team is that right now we don't have a top line.

Last edited:

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
NSH has been hot and Caps just don't have that much leeway for mistakes esp with a top goalie in Saros

Taking bad penalties and giving up the 1st goal is gonna cost a team that has trouble getting 3GF

Great 2nd pd at least but just not enough all around

Been getting away with giving up 1st goal a ton but that luck is gonna go bad and good teams will not blow many games

At least we are in just about every game, look at PIT getting blown out of the water 7-0 last night

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
The better team won? Did you watch the game? Honest question, not trying to be an ass or anything.
Preds are the better team scoring goals, they play better at home, but they were just more clutch scoring goals to win the game. PPG on Jansen's double blunder(lost possession of the puck failing to clear it out of the zone, not marking his man that redirected the puck past Lindgren), nifty breakaway moves for a breakaway goal when the Caps had good sustained offensive pressure and weak protection in front of Lindgren to put in a loose puck in the crease. Caps scored a PPG for 2nd game in a row, but had a nothing burger at even strength.

Jensen/Edmundson were a -2...

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
I think I have figured out the Caps big issues scoring goals. 27 games into the season with 8 d-men having been used and they only have 2 goals(1 Carlson, 1 Alexeyev) among them. Caps D are not shooting the puck enough, so opponents can collapse easier in front of their goalie or mark the Caps forwards a lot easier. Yes, the Caps are a slower skating team, but if your D-group are no offensive threat then it's easier for the opposition to defend their net.

Reactions: TheSmokingMan

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
It’s going to be really difficult to win games without Ovechkin scoring.

I thought he played better last night.
OV is part of the scoring issue, but there are other areas that are a problem regarding goal scoring. Lavi's system had the d-men play very aggressive to generate offense. Carbery's system is the complete opposite. But I'm hoping Carbery, a rookie head coach, learns that the D need to be aggressive offensively, but not so aggressive like Lavi's system had them doing.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
I think I have figured out the Caps big issues scoring goals. 27 games into the season with 8 d-men having been used and they only have 2 goals(1 Carlson, 1 Alexeyev) among them. Caps D are not shooting the puck enough, so opponents can collapse easier in front of their goalie or mark the Caps forwards a lot easier. Yes, the Caps are a slower skating team, but if your D-group are no offensive threat then it's easier for the opposition to defend their net.
and that's systemic since Lavi had D pinching all the time (which I did like -- if only Lavi had a better Team D for the fwds to cover for them better) , Carbs is more conservative with the Dmen

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
and that's systemic since Lavi had D pinching all the time (which I did like -- if only Lavi had a better Team D for the fwds to cover for them better) , Carbs is more conservative with the Dmen
This is an offense first league now. You can't sit on leads anymore. Look how many times so far this season teams tying the score up in the last min of the game or winning it in the last 5 mins of the game. It's become ridiculous. Even the stubborn Islanders under Trotz(who's now GM for the Preds) are now scoring goals, and better so than the Caps. I like the teams overall defense in their own zone, the goaltending of Lindgren(Kuemper needs to snap out of this funk on his own bcuz Scott Murray aint gonna help him!), but the team is sacrificing too much offense for defense. I'm worried Carbery is reaching too much back in time to Dale Hunter Coin Flip Hockey!

Reactions: zappa4ever

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
This is an offense first league now. You can't sit on leads anymore. Look how many times so far this season teams tying the score up in the last min of the game or winning it in the last 5 mins of the game. It's become ridiculous. Even the stubborn Islanders under Trotz(who's now GM for the Preds) are now scoring goals, and better so than the Caps. I like the teams overall defense in their own zone, the goaltending of Lindgren(Kuemper needs to snap out of this funk on his own bcuz Scott Murray aint gonna help him!), but the team is sacrificing too much offense for defense. I'm worried Carbery is reaching too much back in time to Dale Hunter Coin Flip Hockey!
Part of that may be the talent though. Carbery is more focused on defense given his roster. I too would like to see more offense from the blue line. Not sure if Bear helps with that a bit but maybe. TVR and Jensen are both more defensive even though they move the puck well enough. We need more shots from the point.

Reactions: zappa4ever

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Part of that may be the talent though. Carbery is more focused on defense given his roster. I too would like to see more offense from the blue line. Not sure if Bear helps with that a bit but maybe. TVR and Jensen are both more defensive even though they move the puck well enough. We need more shots from the point.
I think Bear will help in that regard and that is why I feel the Caps went aggressive to sign him. Bear might be the 2nd best offensive option on the back end to Carlson. Jensen/TVR/Edmundson/Alexeyev/LuJo provide very little offense. Sandin has some offensive ability but he hesitates shooting the puck. Carlson is the only pure shooting d-man in the lineup and even he doesn't shoot the puck enough. If there is one aspect of coaching that Carbery is missing in his rookie season, playing defense by using offense. If the Caps d-men are more involved in the offensive attack as shooting options(either from the point or closer, inside the circles) and working in unison with the forwards in puck possession(they haven't done it enough) then the opponent will have the puck less to attack with. Less puck possession results in less shots on goal(for and against).

Reactions: DWGie26

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I think Bear will help in that regard and that is why I feel the Caps went aggressive to sign him. Bear might be the 2nd best offensive option on the back end to Carlson. Jensen/TVR/Edmundson/Alexeyev/LuJo provide very little offense. Sandin has some offensive ability but he hesitates shooting the puck. Carlson is the only pure shooting d-man in the lineup and even he doesn't shoot the puck enough. If there is one aspect of coaching that Carbery is missing in his rookie season, playing defense by using offense. If the Caps d-men are more involved in the offensive attack as shooting options(either from the point or closer, inside the circles) and working in unison with the forwards in puck possession(they haven't done it enough) then the opponent will have the puck less to attack with. Less puck possession results in less shots on goal(for and against).
Haha. One of my favorite sayings. My son played all the way through youth hockey and now is 2nd year ACHA. He is a defensive defensemen. Always told him the best defensive is a good offense.

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
think Bear will help in that regard and that is why I feel the Caps went aggressive to sign him.
It's been a week since the Bear "signing" started doing the rounds and unless I'm mistaken he still isn't signed.

I find it interesting that a player who had zero interest from 32 teams in the offseason is suddenly worth the $$$ and attention of "several teams", as has been suggested by media.

It sounds like he is holding out for more money or some kind of term. The whole thing is a bit weird really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad