Speculation: Kessel's Future?

JSBach

May 1, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
What makes anyone think Kessel is resigning in Toronto? IMO he is as good as gone, 1st chance he gets. BTW that 1st chance is right around the corner.

Toronto brass and fans can want to keep Kessel all they want, but that's doesn't change the fact that Kessel most likely wants to win and get outta TO.

And what gives you authority to speak for Kessel?

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/article/1312635--maple-leafs-fire-gm-brian-burke-reports

Questions surfaced almost immediately in the wake of the Burke firing, especially with Kessel, the player he gave up two first round picks for in a move that haunted his tenure in Toronto.

Many insiders are now wondering with Burke gone, then Kessel may be next to depart. Kessel has two more seasons at $5.4 million (cap hit) each before becoming eligible to be a free agent in 2014-15.

yettyskill

May 26, 2010
Halifax
And what gives you authority to speak for Kessel?

What makes you think Kessel is going to stay?
Im asking a question and stating an opinion, are you so upset that it was asked... that all you can come up with is some misguided posting about me speaking for him?

So again, what makes you think Kessel wants to re-sign a long term contract in Toronto?

Most players want to win, most want a change of scenery after not making the playoffs for an extended period of time. And the fact that he's an American born player who I will assume would rather play in his home country if he can.

Those are my reasons for questioning if the Leafs are in Kessel's long term plans.
Why don't you offer up why you think the Leafs are in Kessel's long term plans?

I'm going to guess it begins at money. FYI other teams have money too, so I hope there is more than that other than "hope".

Apr 11, 2010
Toronto
With the firing of Burke, there's nothing to keep Kessel from leaving. At least with Burke, there's the potential to play for the American national team again. I think he's going to walk. We may have just lost Seguin and Hamilton for nothing.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
At least we have a piece like Kessel in place, either as a key piece of our offense or as a trading chip. You're going to get value out of him either way.

JSBach

May 1, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Im asking a question and stating an opinion, are you so upset that it was asked... that all you can come up with is some misguided posting about me speaking for him?

So again, what makes you think Kessel wants to re-sign a long term contract in Toronto?

Most players want to win, most want a change of scenery after not making the playoffs for an extended period of time. And the fact that he's an American born player who I will assume would rather play in his home country if he can.

Those are my reasons for questioning if the Leafs are in Kessel's long term plans.

I'm going to guess it begins at money. FYI other teams have money too, so I hope there is more than that other than "hope".

That question was more for the sake of rhetoric and effect than it was a literal accusation. However, I think it's rash and even fallacious to assume that the possibility that it could happen means that it will happen, and therefore we should trade him. Burke did say a while back that Kessel wants to stay. We can debate as to the honesty of that statement, but it's more evidence than the opposing side has, as far as I know. I'll try to find the video in which he says it.

I don't know what's in Kessel's head (none of us does), but I I'll go with the little evidence I have, which, again, to my knowledge, is more than the other side has.

Last edited:

RogerRoeper*

What makes anyone think Kessel is resigning in Toronto? IMO he is as good as gone, 1st chance he gets. BTW that 1st chance is right around the corner.

Toronto brass and fans can want to keep Kessel all they want, but that's doesn't change the fact that Kessel most likely wants to win and get outta TO.

So what you're saying is money is not important to Kessel?

RogerRoeper*

Silly point given he left his American team to go to the Leafs.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Shape up? He just finished 6th in league scoring with Bozak as his centre,

I'm sure he was saying that in jest.

Don't you remember all the idiotic threads of: "Is this _____'s shape up or ship out year?" in early October.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Cybalski and Makowitz were discussing Kessel being traded for someone who fits into
Carlyle's system better. Posibly going to ANA

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Dave Nonis might not have been the Leafs GM when the Kessel trade was made. However I'm sure Brian Burke asked for his opinon about it and etc, so he was at least involved with the talks prior to it happening.

It's still a long time before Kessel is set to become a UFA and I hope some how he can re-sign with Toronto. If he doesn't want to or they can't agree on how much $ to pay him because the most he can re-sign for is 8 years, I think only then will Nonis try and trade him.

Apr 11, 2010
Toronto
Cybalski and Makowitz were discussing Kessel being traded for someone who fits into
Carlyle's system better. Posibly going to ANA

For who though? Getzlaf and Perry are the only 2 pieces I can think of. I'd love to have Ryan though. Perry hates attention and Getzlaf's still a major question mark.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Can't believe what i'm reading. Amazing how some people want to trade the top 6th scorer in the NHL last year, and one of the best young goal scorer;s in the entire NHL. I'm convinced some posters only want to see this team fail.

Apr 11, 2010
Toronto
Can't believe what i'm reading. Amazing how some people want to trade the top 6th scorer in the NHL last year, and one of the best young goal scorer;s in the entire NHL. I'm convinced some posters only want to see this team fail.

We're not trading him because we want him gone. We don't want to lose him for nothing. With Burke fired, the chances of him staying get smaller and smaller.

RogerRoeper*

Kessel is criminally underrated.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Unless we are trading Kessel for 2 1sts and then some.. We aren't trading him.

RogerRoeper*

We're not trading him because we want him gone. We don't want to lose him for nothing. With Burke fired, the chances of him staying get smaller and smaller.

Then you know what? Offer him a huge 8 year deal. It's going to be VERY difficult to turn it down.

Did Rick Nash re-upping in Columbus make that much sense? Nope. They just offered him a massive deal that he and his agent couldn't turn down.

Apr 11, 2010
Toronto
Then you know what? Offer him a huge 8 year deal. It's going to be VERY difficult to turn it down.

Well I sure hope they're working at it now. Give him a 10 year deal worth 78-80m. I'd do anything to keep him here. It's just at the worst possible scenario, I'd rather get something of worth instead of literally losing Seguin and Hamilton for zilch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad