Kessel

Status
Not open for further replies.

knight44

Jul 31, 2005
Toronto
This guy is amazing, but its sad that alot of canadian people are down playing this guy. Saying he is a girl and that he wont be that good, which doesnt make any sense because of the way he dominated the Under 18 tourney, and the WJC tourney for the americans.

Dont get me wrong guys, people think he is good but, Are all the people bashing this guy just doing it because they would rather see this guy as a canadian. If he was canadian he would get more respect, What do you guys think?

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
knight44 said:
This guy is amazing, but its sad that alot of canadian people are down playing this guy. Saying he is a girl and that he wont be that good, which doesnt make any sense because of the way he dominated the Under 18 tourney, and the WJC tourney for the americans.

Dont get me wrong guys, people think he is good but, Are all the people bashing this guy just doing it because they would rather see this guy as a canadian. If he was canadian he would get more respect, What do you guys think?

Sounds about right. ;)

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
knight44 said:

I can see it both ways. IMO, Kessel's ability gets downplayed a bit because he isn't Canadian, but on the other hand, he's not the prospect Sidney Crosby is either. I'm content to view him as the best American forward prospect drafted since Mike Modano, and will more than likely be the number one overall pick in 2006. A great sign for USA Hockey.

Vinceee

Go Foreurs Go!
Apr 27, 2004
Amos, QC
Rabid Ranger said:
I can see it both ways. IMO, Kessel's ability gets downplayed a bit because he isn't Canadian, but on the other hand, he's not the prospect Sidney Crosby is either. I'm content to view him as the best American forward prospect drafted since Mike Modano, and will more than likely be the number one overall pick in 2006. A great sign for USA Hockey.

USA Hockey is improving a lot... Next year US20 junior team is equal or better on paper than Canada's team.

The only bad thing about your team is your goalies...

knight44 said:

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=156082

Are you referring to this thread? Because you should probably read the article that's linked to in the first post.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Rabid Ranger said:

Agreed on all accounts.

U.S. hockey is definitely getting stronger every year.

egger66

Catcher.In.The.RyE said:
USA Hockey is improving a lot... Next year US20 junior team is equal or better on paper than Canada's team.

The only bad thing about your team is your goalies...

That opinion is not universal. Woodlief recent said that if you asked 30 GM whether they would rather have Crosby or Kessel, he predicted the split would be almost even, 17-13 for Crosby. There isn't that much difference. Crosby got double overhyped. First, he is Canadian. Second, the media needed a news story during the lockout.

Mystic

Feb 24, 2005
For me he's simply great! He's maybe more talented than Sidney Crosby but hasn't got the same advertisement! We'll see what will happen next year... We have to wait a little bit.

espo*

knight44 said:

I'm Canadian and i think he's great.I really can't decide yet if i prefer his or Crosby's game more.But you're right about one thing..................i'd sure as hell like him more if he was Canadian,that's natural....................he could help us and not somebody else.I'd take it as a compliment.The States would like Steve Nash a lot more if he was American too,Pretty natural.Kessel isn't our's and this is hockey so..................we are never going to adore him.

JayRice66

Jul 31, 2005
Wheeling, WV
I refuse to hype the guy. I hope he turns out, but I followed David Legwand for years. He was great. Now he is in the NHL and is a pretty average player.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
JayRice66 said:
I refuse to hype the guy. I hope he turns out, but I followed David Legwand for years. He was great. Now he is in the NHL and is a pretty average player.

A lot of that is due to the lock that Trotz has on his offensive game.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
I think this post originated from the link provided earlier. Referring to a story about Kessel's little sister. Which makes it pretty stupid.

Kessel is a great prospect and I regard him very highly no matter where he comes from. It's human nature to be more fond of prospects you have something in common with, like nationality. Read Rabid Ranger or nomorekids's posts - they always talk glowingly about American prospects. Just like Canadian fans talk glowingly about Canadian prospects. There's nothing wrong or abnormal about it. Nobody with two brain cells thinks Phil Kessel is a little girl, but his sister certainly is.

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
I think there are a couple of differences between Legwand and Kessel. First, Kessel has shown this potential for a couple of years now. While part of this has to do with the increasing exposure of the draft, i think it also shows that Kessel is probably a better prospect then Legwand was. Legwand on the other hand, who I think is an good hockey player and is probably limited by being in a defensive system, got his hype from a VERY good rookie year in the OHL, somewhat similar to that of Benoit Pouliot, or at least thats when I began hearing about Legwand.

Vincent_TheGreat

Feb 27, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
I just don't think he is as good as Sidney. Kessel is good, but when people start mentioning him in the same sentence as Crsoby, it's just ridiculous! Kessel will be a very good player.

JayRice66

Jul 31, 2005
Wheeling, WV
I agree, Kessel should be a good player. But there aren't many players that have what Crosby has. I hope Kessel turns out to be a hell of a player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad