Kessel on the pk?

Predaleafs

Oct 7, 2009
Toronto
After watching the 3 games,yea i know its a small sample size, he looks to have a greater hustle back. Could he be used as Kovalchuk in NJD or Ovie in Washington. as a guy who can threaten for the shorters as well as use his speed to hold the puck downlow?

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Difference between Kessel and Ovie/Chuk is that he's small and can't use the body. Those two guys can at least out muscle the opposition and gain the offensive zone, Kessel needs a quick pass out of the zone or gain top speed through the neutral area.

jiggy35

Jun 26, 2012
Kessel is not small, he's 6'0 205, fairly average/solid size, the issue is his mind-set.
I think Carlyle, if he wanted, could turn Kessel into a much more complete player and possibly effective PKer. I've already noticed more hustle on the backcheck, he caused a few turnovers tonight.

12345*

After watching the 3 games,yea i know its a small sample size, he looks to have a greater hustle back. Could he be used as Kovalchuk in NJD or Ovie in Washington. as a guy who can threaten for the shorters as well as use his speed to hold the puck downlow?

Honestly, I think the risk outweighs the benefit. First off, PKers need to be defensively sound. Secondly, they HAVE to block shots - which increases risk to our premier offensive player. I'd rather just put in specialized players in that know what they are doing. And PK responsibility is exhausting and VERY energy intensive. He will become depleted and be less effective 5 on 5 and on the PP. It's not worth it.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
We have decent PK pairings already, that seem to be doing well.

McClemment in particular is doing fantastic.

There's no reason to have anyone else in that mix.

Let alone your star winger who takes even more importance now that Lupul is out.

Kessel's game has been great, but no need to put him in front of bullet shots from the point.

mt99808

Oct 21, 2010
agreed, why put an offensive machine on the PK.

I dont want injuries to this guy.

It has nothing to do with injuries or being an "offensive machine". Penalty killers need to play tough on the boards, win one on one puck battles and block shots fearlessly. Does any of this sound like anything kessel is remotely good at?

stakesishigh

how swede it is
Jul 9, 2009
Toronto
Honestly, I think the risk outweighs the benefit. First off, PKers need to be defensively sound. Secondly, they HAVE to block shots - which increases risk to our premier offensive player. I'd rather just put in specialized players in that know what they are doing. And PK responsibility is exhausting and VERY energy intensive. He will become depleted and be less effective 5 on 5 and on the PP. It's not worth it.
This is pretty much the perfect post as to why Kessel on the penalty kill would not be effective.

The only thing I'd add is that PKers have to be physical, and gritty. They have to be able to loosen the puck in the corners, and knock people off the puck. Kessel avoids physical confrontation for the most part and he very rarely does anything along the boards. His time and energy is much better utilized for his offensive talents.

I do very much enjoy seeing him backcheck as much as he has this season and I think that is a direct result of Carlyle drilling it into his head that he's gotta come back on the ice with the same speed and intensity he goes up it, whether he has the puck or not.

number72

Oct 9, 2011
I think Kessel would be great on leaf PK so Kessel can contribute to the team and especially since he is struggling to put the puck in the net this year so far.

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
Kessel is not small, he's 6'0 205, fairly average/solid size, the issue is his mind-set.
I think Carlyle, if he wanted, could turn Kessel into a much more complete player and possibly effective PKer. I've already noticed more hustle on the backcheck, he caused a few turnovers tonight.

I've seen him in person and he was barely taller than me. I'm only 5'8. He is around 5'10 I'd say.

We have Bozak, Komarov, Kulemin and McClemment on the PK. All are great forwards for the job, so I don't see why we need Phil.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Were my eyes deceiving me, or did Kadri play some PK minutes last night? I could've sworn I saw a 43 jersey clear the zone during a Pens powerplay. Kadri's smaller than Kessel but it's not just about size, you have to have a grittiness to your game. Kadri has grit and edge...that's not Kessel's style of play.

TMLife*

Auston Matthews
Jun 16, 2010
Victoria, BC
Kessel is progressing great IMO. He is a lot harder on the forecheck and especially notice him back checking more. Baby steps with kessel. You don't have to play in all situations to be a superstar, that's just not the kind of player we have with kessel.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Were my eyes deceiving me, or did Kadri play some PK minutes last night? I could've sworn I saw a 43 jersey clear the zone during a Pens powerplay. Kadri's smaller than Kessel but it's not just about size, you have to have a grittiness to your game. Kadri has grit and edge...that's not Kessel's style of play.

Kadri saw the tail-end of one of the PK's. I've been preaching for a while that once Kadri gets his game together, he can be a Marchand-lite. Which means gritty play, drawing penalties, agitating, and playing on the PK.

mt99808

Oct 21, 2010
What is all this **** about "back checking"? Is that really why you people think he's considered weak defensively?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad