Kessel has the 'flu' , or could it be....

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
They're keeping this quiet evidently, so lets call it the flu.
Whether he actually had/has the flu is possible i suppose.

Remember some of those passes to him he couldnt connect on?

Phil Kessel of the Toronto Maple Leafs may be dealing with an injury, according to multiple reports. Ever since Kessel missed practice with the "flu" a couple of days ago, some people have suspected that he's injured.

Kessel has not been playing as much 5-on-5 minutes that he's used to & has a taped right wrist. When asked about it, he said "I don't really want to talk about it"

Head coach, Randy Carlyle, was asked about the taped wrist & low ice-time & said "Bumps are bruises are pilling up for all of the Leafs".

nov 22 1hr
@DavidAlter590 Kessel's wrist has become bothersome it would appear.

nov 22
SN 590 The FAN ‏@FAN590 2h
Leafs lose 4-2 to the Preds last night, is Kessel's wrist more of a factor than he's letting off?

nov 20:
-Kessel is back along the bench. A member of the Leafs staff is looking at the wrist. Still not clear what the issue is, if anything.
-Phil Kessel takes a break from practice, and appears to be favouring his right wrist. The same one he had taped last night. Rejoins drill.

James Mìrtle ‏@mirtle 19 Nov
Kessel was asked about his wrist being banged up but declined to talk about it.

Last edited:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
poor guy :( I hope he gets well soon.

if it's the flu + the wrist - truthfully - i'd rather him sit out two-three games, and let the wrist heal up properly as well as it can, rather than stressing the problem out more.

Hotlanta

Dec 1, 2009
Just like the Colborne wrist injury in the AHL playoffs two years ago, the team is trying to keep it under wrap so that players on other teams won't target it in games.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Just like the Colborne wrist injury in the AHL playoffs two years ago, the team is trying to keep it under wrap so that players on other teams won't target it in games.

They should make Iron Shirt training mandatory in the NHL. :nod:

I'll happily volunteer to administer it to any and all Habs and Bruins players. :naughty::sarcasm:

MrLegend28*

leave it to the idiots in toronto media to tell other team about our player's injuries. so stupid and annoying. No one cept the Leafs should care about the injuries. I understand its for gambling but its so stupid. Leafs are keeping this under wrap so someone just exposes it.

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
Gotta try to keep it hush - hence the title

kessel%20is%20hurt%20omg.png

Igy

Mar 3, 2011
He injured his wrist in an all you can eat cookie contest.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
http://blogs.canoe.ca/leafsnow/tag/phil-kessel/

"You aren’t going to hear much in the way of injury updates during the playoffs, but it certainly looked like the Leafs training staff was a busy crew during Wednesday’s Game 1 of the best-of-seven series with the Bruins.

At various points in the game, both Tyler Bozak and Joffrey Lupul left the bench for some sort of maintenance – whether it be injury or equipment, it was difficult to tell. And forward Phil Kessel could be seen getting his wrist taped at one point and showing considerable pain."

Think this is something he's been dealing with for quite a while.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
But.....Kessel is soft as butter. He is like a soccer player who will sit out if he gets a stubbed toe. Man, I wonder if any of the stereotypes he was labelled with when he came here will remain by the time he's completed his 5th year in Toronto.

Maybe by the end of the season we will learn that he doesn't eat a dozen doughnuts in the morning before games.

number72

Oct 9, 2011
This is what happens when the leafs don't play both mclaren and orr to keep the other teams in check

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
from the G&M today...
"Kessel is also dealing with an injury issue, apparently with his right wrist. He has not played more than 16 minutes in his past three games, although he did manage to score two goals in Tuesday’s win over the Islanders. But those were his only goals in his past six games and it seems he’s been pining to be reunited with his good friend and roommate Bozak.

“He’s asking me quite a bit, but he also doesn’t want me to rush it,†Bozak said. “Most of the guys don’t want me to rush it. They want me to come back when I’m ready.â€

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...ready-to-return-this-weekend/article15566017/

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
leave it to the idiots in toronto media to tell other team about our player's injuries. so stupid and annoying. No one cept the Leafs should care about the injuries. I understand its for gambling but its so stupid. Leafs are keeping this under wrap so someone just exposes it.

Because it's entirely impossible that players and coaches can see the tape on his wrist with...you know, their eyes?

:laugh:

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Oh, he's got a wrist injury alright. You don't wrap a wrist for ***** and giggles.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad