Kessel for Captain

enixer

Mar 26, 2011
a true captain is a guy whose willing to go to war to win, a guy who will skate through a wall or do w/e it takes to win, take hits to make a play, never backs down physically, works hard on both ends of the ice because he knows Defense is just as important to winning if not more important then offense. that is nothing like Phil Kessel. he would be a terrible captain.

Captains who have raised the Cup in the last 9 years include Lidstrom, Niedermayer, and Crosby. And it's debatable how much Toews "never backs down physically," or how much the Kings actually value Brown's leadership (limited minutes this year and almost traded him before the Cup run in 2012).

Good to see the Gilmour / Clarke mentality is still alive and well in Toronto. I don't even have as much of a problem with Phaneuf as most people, but you do realize the Gilmour / Clarke mentality is the reason Phaneuf was chosen as captain, right? Thanks for that.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Captains who have raised the Cup in the last 9 years include Lidstrom, Niedermayer, and Crosby. And it's debatable how much Toews "never backs down physically," or how much the Kings actually value Brown's leadership (limited minutes this year and almost traded him before the Cup run in 2012).

Good to see the Gilmour / Clarke mentality is still alive and well in Toronto. I don't even have as much of a problem with Phaneuf as most people, but you do realize the Gilmour / Clarke mentality is the reason Phaneuf was chosen as captain, right? Thanks for that.

except all those players do pretty much exactly what I said, they don't back down physically, they aren't afraid to take a hit to make a play. they work hard at both ends of the ice, they will do w/e it takes to win, so not sure what your trying to say?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I have a hard time making a player who is renowned to not be in the best shape our Captain.

On second thought, on one of the worst conditioned teams in the NHL, maybe this works.

Follow the leader.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
as far as im concerned kessel shouldnt even be on the team starting next season and starting to go with a more puck possession down low type of team instead of a 1 and done type of offense... but what do i know?

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
as far as im concerned kessel shouldnt even be on the team starting next season and starting to go with a more puck possession down low type of team instead of a 1 and done type of offense... but what do i know?

Obviously nothing cause one player does not a team make. You could transition the roster into the type of team you're proposing by adding players on the bottom three lines and keep the first line (JVR, Bozak, Kessel) together. Why would you break up one of the most effective lines in the league?

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
They should give it to the most vocal guy in the room, imho. And whoever seems to work the hardest and plugs away every night. Someone that leads by example. Although, out of all those names, I would suggest JVR, too. Captains are usually scrappy guys that don't quit. Unlike, the current captain.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
I think Kessel cares a lot.

5idum.gif

:sarcasm: I'm sure he does care a lot but he isn't the type of player the Toronto Maple Leafs need as captain. I don't think the Leafs have that player right now.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
5idum.gif

:sarcasm: I'm sure he does care a lot but he isn't the type of player the Toronto Maple Leafs need as captain. I don't think the Leafs have that player right now.

lol, I love that gif. But in Kessels defense, the guys out on the left does not ride hard either. Kadri and some one else. We have no idea what stage of their "run" these players was on.

Hunter74

Sep 21, 2004
Never back down physically mentality.

If Phaneuf did that he would be in the box even more than he already is and who is supposed to kill the penalty? Franson? No surprise he doesn't drop the gloves and really mix it up like he used too. Get him some depth and take some of the reigns off. On the other hand it would be way to easy for other teams to send there Brandon Prusts at Phaneuf and take off our best defender night in night out by engaging him physically in today's penalty heavy NHL. I think Dion plays much better when he is emotionally and physically in the game.

If you let your players like Phaneuf, Gleason and such really get the games dirty the wallflowers don't play as well and guess what we don't have the offensive depth to compensate for Kessel's drop in production. Then again we don't have the cerebral brain power to play the other game as well.

Phaneuf is in a lose lose situation.

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
When you look at some of the better teams in the NHL you see that the Cand 2 A's are divided mostly like this:

Captain - goes to the Heart and Soul guy who will do anything to help his team win.

Assistant #1 - Most talented player on the team

Assistant #2 - Guy who keeps the locker room loose.

Someone brought the Kings up as a comparison...

Captain - Dustin Brown heart and soul guy

A #1 - Anze Kopitar most talented player on the team

A #2 - Matt Greene jokes around with all the players to keep them having fun.

Another interesting thing about the Kings set up is the C and 2 A's have not changed since the day they announced Brown as captain. The only time some else wears a letter is when on of those 3 is injured. While Greene was hurt this year they gave the A to Mike Richards.

There is a lot of leadership on that team and that is the biggest reason why Doughty does not have a letter. But, if Greene leaves as a free agent it will probably be given to Doughty.

For some reason I always felt that you need at least an A for both a forward and defenseman. Sort of a showing that this is your offensive leader and this is your defensive leader but then they have their overall team leader as the actual captain.

For the Leafs I see that as this:

Captain - ??? (Maybe a Mike Richards?)

A #1 - Kessel, the most talented player

A #2 - Phaneuf, the defensive leader and locker room vocal leader.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
When you look at some of the better teams in the NHL you see that the Cand 2 A's are divided mostly like this:

Captain - goes to the Heart and Soul guy who will do anything to help his team win.

Assistant #1 - Most talented player on the team

Assistant #2 - Guy who keeps the locker room loose.

Someone brought the Kings up as a comparison...

Captain - Dustin Brown heart and soul guy

A #1 - Anze Kopitar most talented player on the team

A #2 - Matt Greene jokes around with all the players to keep them having fun.

Another interesting thing about the Kings set up is the C and 2 A's have not changed since the day they announced Brown as captain. The only time some else wears a letter is when on of those 3 is injured. While Greene was hurt this year they gave the A to Mike Richards.

There is a lot of leadership on that team and that is the biggest reason why Doughty does not have a letter. But, if Greene leaves as a free agent it will probably be given to Doughty.

For some reason I always felt that you need at least an A for both a forward and defenseman. Sort of a showing that this is your offensive leader and this is your defensive leader but then they have their overall team leader as the actual captain.

For the Leafs I see that as this:

Captain - ??? (Maybe a Mike Richards?)

A #1 - Kessel, the most talented player

A #2 - Phaneuf, the defensive leader and locker room vocal leader.

Sounds good. Logic and well written post.

Chicago have Toews as their captain. Even do he could probably get a letter for his talents he is a heart and soul kind of guy. He was basically drafted to become a captain in the NHL, similar to Landeskog.
Their top pairing defenseman Keith (7 seasons) and Seabrook (5 seasons) both wear A´s. And then Sharp is also given an A, he have had it for 7 seasons.

So two forwards and two defenseman. a strong leadership group there as well.

Detroit also have a good leadership group.
Z as their C. Well known for being a good leader and have been a captain for 2 seasons, had an A for 6 seasons before that. Skilled but also a heart and soul guy, constantly plays through injuries.
Then Datsyuk (8 seasons with an A) have an A as the most talented guy on the team. And Kronwall leader of the defensive units have only had an A for 3 seasons. But then there have been a couple of more talented players leading the defense before him...

Minnesota also have an interesting leadership group. Koivu as the own produced heart and soul guy as the captain. He have been a captain for 5 seasons and had an A 2 season prior to becoming that. Then two guys who could be captains, Parise leads the forwards and Suter leads the defenseman.

Seems very well balanced.

Then you look at us...

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Predict our leadership group for the future.

Captain: Finn. Talented, strong leader and makes players around him better.
A: 1. Rielly, most talented defensive player.
A: 2. Our first line center who/when we will draft him. Leads the offensive group as the most talented forward.
A: 3. Carrick. Leader among the bottom six guys. Was an OHL captain and have had an A for the Marlies even do he is not a skilled guy so he got to have something going for him. Heart and soul.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
I like Kessel alot but he's not Captain material. Never will be with his shy schtick.

I could argue Fraser is a better leader than Phaneuf based on how the teams played the last 2 seasons under the same coach

DaveT83*

Are you ****ing kidding me. Who are you people? Do you even watch hockey? Are you at all interested in winning?

There is not a single player on this team that deserves to be captain. Until there is none should have the honour.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Are you ****ing kidding me. Who are you people? Do you even watch hockey? Are you at all interested in winning?

There is not a single player on this team that deserves to be captain. Until there is none should have the honour.

This. Just roll with 3 A's. I hate how a lot of teams immediately name captains either after trading their previous one away or even acquiring a guy and placing the C on him right away (like Messier in Vancouver, which was a complete and utter disaster for the Canucks). Just roll with 3 A's till the right guy comes along.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
This. Just roll with 3 A's. I hate how a lot of teams immediately name captains either after trading their previous one away or even acquiring a guy and placing the C on him right away (like Messier in Vancouver, which was a complete and utter disaster for the Canucks). Just roll with 3 A's till the right guy comes along.

Agree.
IMO, immediately naming Phanuef Captain was Burkes biggest mistake while here.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Agree.
IMO, immediately naming Phanuef Captain was Burkes biggest mistake while here.

Wasn't a big fan of Phaneuf when he got here, but I interpretted the captain's decision the other way - it actually endeared me towards Phaneuf that he was willing to step up, take on the C in this bloodbath of a market, and give this team a face.

In hindsight it probably couldn't have worked out any worse, but if you are in the camp that the Leafs biggest problem is leadership, then you are sorely mistaken.

The Leafs aren't a crap team because Phaneuf is a bad leader. They are a crap team because their roster is terrible.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Wasn't a big fan of Phaneuf when he got here, but I interpretted the captain's decision the other way - it actually endeared me towards Phaneuf that he was willing to step up, take on the C in this bloodbath of a market, and give this team a face.

In hindsight it probably couldn't have worked out any worse, but if you are in the camp that the Leafs biggest problem is leadership, then you are sorely mistaken.

The Leafs aren't a crap team because Phaneuf is a bad leader. They are a crap team because their roster is terrible.

I don't hold it against Phanuef nor do I pretend to think he's a bad leader.
My point was more it seemed kind of rushed, in hindsight I bet the Leafs wish they waited a while before naming a Captain.

I agree, he's far from this Teams biggest problem.

MrLegend28*

Kings just won with Dustin Brown as their captain :laugh: :laugh: ya, that 27 pts in 70 games Dustin Brown. True leader!!!

People overrate the **** out of "Captain" its incredible.

We need a doug gilmour or wendel clark type!!! What did they win again? oh... oh nothing? right.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad