Kessel for Captain

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Idk if he has social anxiety or whatever, but I remember he use to get picked on as a kid for his acne and stuff..

But still, definitely not captain material

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Idk if he has social anxiety or whatever, but I remember he use to get picked on as a kid for his acne and stuff..

But still, definitely not captain material

Bullying can screw people up. It depends on how bad it was, though.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
its funny how one of the dumbest arguments against Kessel is "pressure from the media".. LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what you think the first 5 years have been for the guy? sunshine and lollipops?

Ya and he almost never adressed the media post game (once in a blue moon).
Now imagine him having to answer tough questions day in day out, in front of groups of mics/camera's. The management team have shielded him very well from having to do pre/post game stuff and making him captain would be totally overwhelming for someone with his speaking/talking in large groups issues.

leafstilldeath*

If Kessel is named captain we will be even a bigger laughing stock in the hockey universe (league + fans) than we already are.

Bad idea

realgoodleafs

Oct 29, 2006
SW Ontario
The captaincy doesn't even matter. Rangers made it to the final without one. Its just a guy to talk to the media and phaneuf can barely put a sentence together.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
The captaincy doesn't even matter. Rangers made it to the final without one. Its just a guy to talk to the media and phaneuf can barely put a sentence together.

Interestingly, Brian Burke said he considered talking to the media to be the least important part of the captain's job.

green lantern

Jun 4, 2012
sector 2814
Check out Phaneufs interview on the Strombo show, he's reasonably well spoken.

You want to talk about a guy who can barely string a sentence together? Both Derian Hatcher and Dustin Brown had serious speech impediments yet both have been the first to touch the cup.

Not that I condone being mean to the media but it's not like that sort of thing decides hockey games.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Check out Phaneufs interview on the Strombo show, he's reasonably well spoken.

You want to talk about a guy who can barely string a sentence together? Both Derian Hatcher and Dustin Brown had serious speech impediments yet both have been the first to touch the cup.

Not that I condone being mean to the media but it's not like that sort of thing decides hockey games.

Are U serious? Watching that interview is like listening to Strombo interviewing a stroke patient who is reading from card boards.

But I have to agree with Burke that how the captain is in front of the cameras is secondary as long as he leads the team on the ice (games and training) and in the dressing room.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Funny how people like to propagate rumors like that...I think he just doesn't like being in the limelight, I doubt some childhood bullying had anything to do with that.

Or perhaps the reason he was bullied in the first place. A shy guy who is a bit awkward would be picked a part by other boys, even more so I guess in a competitive environment.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Funny how people like to propagate rumors like that...I think he just doesn't like being in the limelight, I doubt some childhood bullying had anything to do with that.

I'm just speculating and applying what I know about personal development within overly aggressive social hierarchies, it's not like I've ever met the guy.

Timid males are typically targeted in schoolyards, but yes in the end this is all just hypothetical musings.

Tyler Biggs*

Kessel has 13 goals and 21pts in 22 playoff games. How is that 'disappearing when the going gets tough'?

CalgaryLeaf*

Shanny has already shot down the idea of Dion losing the C.

FTR Kessel is not a leader...He's not the captain type...He's more of an introvert.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad