Kessel #2 Pick in 2005 Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
Without question Kessel would have gone 2nd overall behind Crosby in last years draft, some scouts/gm's went as far as to say he may have gone first...not sure I believe that but that is fine.

Now Kessel is falling and may not even be first in the 2006 draft. could be as low as 3rd from what gm's scouts and others are saying.

Is it that people finally figured out Kessel's move and they are now consistently shutting it down? Is it that they dont think he can pass? Is it that he is just coming back to the pack in general?

Does this remind anyone of the Gilbert Brule Draft???? Sure reminds me of it, Brule going into last season was a sure fire 2nd pick and some thought really would challenge Crosby for first. there was many around these boards who consistently said Brule was better, then he falls to what 5th?

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
In this case, GM's will draft based on need and not the best man available. I think if its Pittsburgh they go and draft Johnson cuz their D is so depleted, but if its (for example) Chicago they draft Kessel because they'd need him a bit more

Amazing Oopah

Nov 5, 2005
Virginia
Keseel didn't do anything to slip from the #1 spot... but E. Johnson did enough to be considered at the #1.

Dunno, I think whoever gets the picks will have to decide what they want: a blue chip forward prospect or a blue chip blue line prospect.

AgentNaslund*

Jon Prescription said:
Any GM to take Toews first overall will easily be considered one of the worst GMs in the league.

I feel the same to the gm that takes Kessel over Crosby.

Vote for Rory

Nov 13, 2004
phaneuf_fan_3 said:
Does this remind anyone of the Gilbert Brule Draft???? Sure reminds me of it, Brule going into last season was a sure fire 2nd pick and some thought really would challenge Crosby for first. there was many around these boards who consistently said Brule was better, then he falls to what 5th?

This is how it works. Every year a player who was ranked high at the begining of the year will drop down. Every year a player who was ranked low with jump up. It happens ever year, and this year it looks like it could be the projected #1 pick that will drop.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
AgentNaslund said:

Kind of needless to even bring something like that up.

Kessel is either 1 or 2 in this draft. If a GM takes Toews over Kessel, he is an idiot. And that is my honest opinion.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Jon Prescription said:

Kessel is either 1 or 2 in this draft. If a GM takes Toews over Kessel, he is an idiot. And that is my honest opinion.

Agreed. Johnson is the only one who could go #1 other than Kessel, and that's only if a team really wants a #1 d-man.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
Jon Prescription said:

Id say its a little early to be saying someone would be an idiot for taking Toews.....clearly they are 2 very different players, Toes is a lot younger nearly a full year, he is a better 2 way player than kessel, Does he have the shot or speed...no....will he be a solid player and possibly catch up to Kessel yes.

for the others who have posted reply's clearly i feel Erik Johnson would go first if Kessel doesnt, personally i still take Kessel first, but I do think that Kessel has been exposed as someone who has 1 great move and not a lot other right now, do i think he wont develop more good moves in the future? no....of course he will develop more....I just think he has been relying on that drag inside out move way to much and dmen all over are seeing it and shutting him down.

Also i dont think it helped that Kessel disappeared in the 2 big games of the juniors, he was non existent vs Canada or Russia.

Did Toews show much vs russia or usa, not really.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
Jon Prescription said:
Any GM to take Toews first overall will easily be considered one of the worst GMs in the league.

little early for talk like that, I also believe that Anaheim taking Bobby Ryan over Jack Johnson was one of the stupidest GM moves in the last few years. But it happened.

Daily Special

Oct 4, 2005
San Francisco
phaneuf_fan_3 said:
Toes is a lot younger nearly a full year, he Does he have the shot or speed...no....will he be a solid player yes.

What you just described says 2nd liner at best.

No shot or speed = no top 3 consideration

That player description barely warrants first round even.

Phanuthier*

Rush5Collapse5 said:
rofls @ "toews" :biglaugh:
You said USA is guerenteed to win gold... they didn't.

You said USA is guerenteed to beat Canada... they didn't.

You said USA is guerenteed to beat Russia... they didn't.

You said Russia is guerenteed to curb stomp Canada... they didn't.

You said Pogge would get lite up like a Christmas tree against Russia... they didn't.

You said USA would curb stomp Finland... they didn't.

You said USA would light up Rask... they didn't.

So, I guess that almost guerentees that Towes will go No 1!

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
AgentNaslund said:

Nobody cares. They're in different drafts, so it's asinine to make comparisons like this.

The only people who think Towes is worthy of going #1 overall are biased Canadians who can't tolerate the fact that an American is the best draft-eligible player. The #1 overall pick will be either Kessel or Erik Johnson, depending on if a team needs a defenseman or not.

Sammy*

AgentNaslund said:
Actually, Toews over the golden child is possible & isnt ridiculous.
Kessel over Crosby is a joke.

Sammy*

fyug said:
Nobody cares. They're in different drafts, so it's asinine to make comparisons like this.

The only people who think Towes is worthy of going #1 overall are biased Canadians who can't tolerate the fact that an American is the best draft-eligible player. The #1 overall pick will be either Kessel or Erik Johnson, depending on if a team needs a defenseman or not.
No actually, actually there are scouts out there that think there is a reasonable possibilty that Toews will make a far better pro. They prefer to wait another half year before making their final assesment.
The only people who think there is no chance of Towes going #1 overall are biased Americans who can't tolerate the fact that a Canadian may be the best draft-eligible player, particularly in a year where the golden child is being drafted.

Checker*

My advice to whoever gets the 1st overall pick (hopefully the Blues)...Trade down

Kessel could burn you either way as if you select him, he does have a bust factor to him. If you select Toews and Kessel plays to his potential, you'll look like an idiot. I'd say hope that someone with a top 10 pick really likes Kessel or Johnson and will part with some assets to move up. Then select a Staal, Mueller, or Backstrom. All 3 of those guys could end up being every bit as good as Kessel or Toews.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
Rush5Collapse5 said:
What you just described says 2nd liner at best.

No shot or speed = no top 3 consideration

That player description barely warrants first round even.

i did not say he has no shot or no speed, he has an above average shot, above average speed, hes got good offensive ability, but is he like bure, i mean kessel? no. however he dwarfs kessel's defensive abilities as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad