Kesler Trade: 10th overall instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Suede Shoes

hound dog
May 5, 2012
It seems that Benning didn't want a rebuild and believed that he could continue icing a competitive team. So he opted to trade Kesler for a package including "Now" players as opposed to purely futures.

However, if Benning HAD wanted to trade for purely futures, could he have gotten the 10th overall pick from Anaheim as opposed to the 24th overall pick, Bonino, and Sbisa?

The other question is would you prefer the 10th overall pick to the package we got?

Domecile

Opinion != Fact
Jul 9, 2014
Delta
Just getting rid of Kesler is a win.

Benning said it best. We don't want players who don't want to be here.

canucks10

Jan 15, 2014
Over the Rainbow
McCann probably could have gone top 10, and ive never been a fan of Ritchie don't know if Vrana, Fiala, Perlini are much of an upgrade on McCann and if they are the gap is closed by Bonino and Sbisa.

Now if it was 10th and a prospect like Etem or Rakell then i maybe would have jumped at it

member 202355

If I was Benning, I would have asked for the 10th and 24th overall picks. If Murray declined, then that's too bad. Sorry Kesler, but the reason you're still in Vancouver is because of your two-team ****ing list.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
My vote is based on 10th + something like Etem would have been a better package,

But McCann is a top15-20 pick and provides us with versatility in our top 2 picks:

Virtanen - power forward
McCann - 2 way forward

is better than going with 2 power forwards like Ritchie.

You win with centre depth and I like the McCann pick.

If it's the 10th alone, that would have been a horrible deal for us.

Who's going to play 2nd line centre? Re-sign Santorelli? No thanks.

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
It seems that Benning didn't want a rebuild and believed that he could continue icing a competitive team. So he opted to trade Kesler for a package including "Now" players as opposed to purely futures.

However, if Benning HAD wanted to trade for purely futures, could he have gotten the 10th overall pick from Anaheim as opposed to the 24th overall pick, Bonino, and Sbisa?

The other question is would you prefer the 10th overall pick to the package we got?

As mentioned in other threads, particularly the Kesler trade thread, Benning was handcuffed and the 10th was not on the table. He didn't 'opt' to trade Kesler for what he received, it was simply the best he seemingly was going to get.

Anaheim was going to keep the 10th, end of story.

Cupless

Aug 26, 2005
As mentioned in other threads, particularly the Kesler trade thread, Benning was handcuffed and the 10th was not on the table. He didn't 'opt' to trade Kesler for what he received, it was simply the best he seemingly was going to get.

Anaheim was going to keep the 10th, end of story.

Yep - 10th was not an option, imo. Bonino & Sbisa & McCann are better for the team this year. Having Bonino be able to slot into the 2nd line and provide reasonable expectation of offense is going to be important for this season. To me that has value - but I'm one of those people that actually believes this season is worth playing and that there's actually hope for a decent result.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
We're angry we got a 1st round pick and two serviceable players for an injury prone whiny player who's already peaked and who's averaged 45 points over the last three years?

I was surprised we got so much (including a player who out-performed Kesler last year) for a player who's been living on reputation since 2011.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I think we could have gotten the 10th but Benning, Aqualini and/or Linden had their heart set on competing.

I would take Ritchie + Santorelli over Bonino + McCann + Sbisa, personally. That's kind of how I saw it. But I'm pleasantly surprised/impressed that we got someone as good as McCann with the 24th. Although, if we picked Barbashev instead, I might go with that over the 10th.

Adding Ritchie and Virtanen would be very close to having an ideal prospect group

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
This topic has been beat to death.
Trades over, we didn't get the 10th for whatever reason well never find out.....

Zaddy91

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
Ritchie and virtanen would have been bedlam

I remember when people mentioning bonino in a kesler trade were laughed at.

Donno i think 10th and etem and 24th for kesler and giggins should have been a prio

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
Both packages are lame. 10th because valuewise Kesler's worth more. The one we got because there's way too much quantity over quality.

10th + any decent piece like say Vatanen would have been ideal.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
I had never heard of McCann until after we drafted him. For how weak the depth was supposed to be in this draft, I was really surprised that there was a player with his skillset at the 25th pick. He has some slick hands and an insane shot. I hope he can keep it together. His youtube vids impressed me more than a lot of the top 10 prospects in this year's draft.

If someone told me we had picked McCann with the 10th overall, I'd be happy.

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad