Signing(s): Kenta Maeda signs with the Tigers (2 years, $24 million)

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Twins are going to be down bad in pitching unless Paddack returns to 2019 form and can stay healthy the whole season.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
If this is a larger move to establish Detroit as a Japanese pitching market (Yamamoto), then I get it.

In a vacuum though, Maeda will be 36-years-old in April, one of the oldest starting pitchers in the MLB. He's had a lot of durability issues in his career, which unfortunately means he'll fit right in with the rest of Detroit's rotation.

Detroit clearly will not be aggressive enough to compete in the next two years, so I ask: why bring in Canha (35) and now Maeda (36)?

I am aware the Tigers won 78 games last season. However, their xWins were 73, likely fueled by their abysmal offense that finished 27th in BA and 28th in both Runs and OPS. Their pitching was substantially better, finishing 17th in ERA and 9th in both FIP and WHIP, but their rotation has lost 152.2 innings of 3.30 ERA ball with he departure of Eduardo Rodriguez.

A lot of fans seem to really like this move, but it seems partially based on the premise that Detroit isn't done adding. To be fair, there's a lot of off-season left, and I could see the Tigers adding a lower end starter (Alex Wood?), or upside relievers, or more AAAA gambles to replace depth like Baddoo and Maton.

However, I think the Tigers roster is close to set. Frustrating, because with a more aggressive approach, they could run away with the division. I suspect they'll have another mid-70's Win finish.

CRogers/KellySPSkubalCLLange
1BTorkelsonSPManningRPFoley
2BIbanez (Jung)SPMaedaRPHolton
SSBaezSPOlsonRPVest
3BMcKinstry/Maton (Keith)SPMizeRPBrieske
LFGreene/BaddooSPGipson-Long/UFA (Madden)RPDiaz
CFMeadows/VierlingRPEnglert/UFA
RFCarpenter
DHCanha (Malloy)

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
If this is a larger move to establish Detroit as a Japanese pitching market (Yamamoto), then I get it.

In a vacuum though, Maeda will be 36-years-old in April, one of the oldest starting pitchers in the MLB. He's had a lot of durability issues in his career, which unfortunately means he'll fit right in with the rest of Detroit's rotation.

Detroit clearly will not be aggressive enough to compete in the next two years, so I ask: why bring in Canha (35) and now Maeda (36)?

I am aware the Tigers won 78 games last season. However, their xWins were 73, likely fueled by their abysmal offense that finished 27th in BA and 28th in both Runs and OPS. Their pitching was substantially better, finishing 17th in ERA and 9th in both FIP and WHIP, but their rotation has lost 152.2 innings of 3.30 ERA ball with he departure of Eduardo Rodriguez.

A lot of fans seem to really like this move, but it seems partially based on the premise that Detroit isn't done adding. To be fair, there's a lot of off-season left, and I could see the Tigers adding a lower end starter (Alex Wood?), or upside relievers, or more AAAA gambles to replace depth like Baddoo and Maton.

However, I think the Tigers roster is close to set. Frustrating, because with a more aggressive approach, they could run away with the division. I suspect they'll have another mid-70's Win finish.

CRogers/KellySPSkubalCLLange
1BTorkelsonSPManningRPFoley
2BIbanez (Jung)SPMaedaRPHolton
SSBaezSPOlsonRPVest
3BMcKinstry/Maton (Keith)SPMizeRPBrieske
LFGreene/BaddooSPGipson-Long/UFA (Madden)RPDiaz
CFMeadows/VierlingRPEnglert/UFA
RFCarpenter
DHCanha (Malloy)

The Tigers trying to establish themselves in a bigger market and going hard after Yamamoto (and Ohtani...) is a fever dream. I think the goal of signing Maeda is to replace what I bolded, though, and it's a very fair contract considering his history and age. I think the big hope is that he can come in and be that consistent vet in the upper/middlle of the rotation that helps keep the ship steady while the young guys (hopefully) take a step forward this year.

Same with Canha in the middle of the order.

But it would be really nice if the kid would take a page out of his old man's book and go hard after some guys like Mike did with Pudge, Magglio, and Miggy.

Reactions: shadow1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad