Kent Nilsson: The Calgary Flames Superstar Who Chose Not To Be

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Great article! I can hardly wait for part two!

This paragraph grabbed my attention though.

"Despite being the heart of the team’s offense, Nilsson was frequently accused of lacking passion and intensity. He often shied away from the corners of the rink and was hardly physical. Hockey columnist Al Strachan wrote in 1984, “Calgary Flames would be better off without their leading scorer, Kent Nilsson, who ‘invariably disappears in the playoffs anyway, especially when the going gets rough'” (James Allen, The Globe and Mail, 26 Apr 1984)."

Words like this have been said about one of our current players who I will miss when he invariably leaves.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Great article! I can hardly wait for part two!

This paragraph grabbed my attention though.

"Despite being the heart of the team’s offense, Nilsson was frequently accused of lacking passion and intensity. He often shied away from the corners of the rink and was hardly physical. Hockey columnist Al Strachan wrote in 1984, “Calgary Flames would be better off without their leading scorer, Kent Nilsson, who ‘invariably disappears in the playoffs anyway, especially when the going gets rough'” (James Allen, The Globe and Mail, 26 Apr 1984)."

Words like this have been said about one of our current players who I will miss when he invariably leaves.

I watched both Johnny and the magic man their entire career as a flames. There is no comparison in passion. Johnny has 10x more intensity. I also believe Nilsson had more talent.

Johnny's problem is size that prevents him from playing certain style. It also doesn't help when his center is a giant softie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad