GDT: Kent Hughes Press Conference, Thursday March 17th 10 AM ET

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Hughes stated very clearly after Toffoli trade “we are not looking to be in a position to pick 1OA next year…it would be very disappointing if we were”. Never heard mixed signals IMO

This is a multi-billion $ business venture for the owners, not a game in the sandbox to please hockey fans. As Dino has repeatedly stated, Bell/RDS/TVA are none to pleased to hear anything regarding a “rebuild” and the Habs TV contract is up for renewal.

In today pro sports, maximization of profits is not obtained by the team winning championships and selling tickets / beer & merchandise - it about leveraging TV contracts to use as cash flow towards alternative business ventures with lower capital expenditures / higher profit margins

One area of value is what the TV ratings look like this year and then again next year. If they are stable while we move towards youth, that should help reduce any burden on TV revenue or lack their off. But you are right, this is a business. Advertising a complete fire sale and tank is not going to happen in Montreal.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Hughes stated very clearly after Toffoli trade “we are not looking to be in a position to pick 1OA next year…it would be very disappointing if we were”. Never heard mixed signals IMO

This is a multi-billion $ business venture for the owners, not a game in the sandbox to please hockey fans. As Dino has repeatedly stated, Bell/RDS/TVA are none to pleased to hear anything regarding a “rebuild” and the Habs TV contract is up for renewal.

In today pro sports, maximization of profits is not obtained by the team winning championships and selling tickets / beer & merchandise - it about leveraging TV contracts to use as cash flow towards alternative business ventures with lower capital expenditures / higher profit margins
And that would mean continuing on a path that has provided no success since 1993.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Is it just me or is Hughes giving mixed signals as far as a rebuild or retool or whatever the plan is?

The guy has spent decades as a negotiator, I wouldn't put a lot into what he says in press conferences or interviews.

For guys like Chiarot where everyone knows he was going to be traded, or someone like Petry who's made it clear he wants out due to his family situation, he'll be honest and upfront with the media that they're on the block. For basically everyone else it seems he's making it sound like he has no intention to trade them to try and get other GMs to pay up to get them.

If he came out and said it is a full-out rebuild and he's blowing things up, teams would probably just send low-ball offers thinking he'll take anything to clear out players.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
The guy has spent decades as a negotiator, I wouldn't put a lot into what he says in press conferences or interviews.

For guys like Chiarot where everyone knows he was going to be traded, or someone like Petry who's made it clear he wants out due to his family situation, he'll be honest and upfront with the media that they're on the block. For basically everyone else it seems he's making it sound like he has no intention to trade them to try and get other GMs to pay up to get them.

If he came out and said it is a full-out rebuild and he's blowing things up, teams would probably just send low-ball offers thinking he'll take anything to clear out players.
I think the tweet by Dreger about Lehkonen seems to indicate that Hughes was playing with other GMs nerves yesterday. Dreger could only have received this intel (true or not) from the Habs office.

Reactions: Leon Lucius Black

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
I think the tweet by Dreger about Lehkonen seems to indicate that Hughes was playing with other GMs nerves yesterday. Dreger could only have received this intel (true or not) from the Habs office.

Agreed. Same goes for Kulak, he's probably been getting offers from playoff teams trying to add D depth, what better way to boost his value a bit more than mention you might just keep him.

Hughes is using the media to his advantage, as opposed to using it to complain that this isn't Playstation and trades are hard to make.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
And that would mean continuing on a path that has provided no success since 1993.
Open Pandora’s box: no one asked Habs to not choose Iginla instead of Ryan, Gagne vs line mate Chouinard, Hossa, Havlat, Giroux, Theodore, Aho, Tkachuk, let alone 2003 draft etc.

Habs have had plenty of opportunities to draft elite forward talent over last 49-years, they’ve simply never valued offensive talent enough because of their 200-ft myopic focus

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Agreed. Same goes for Kulak, he's probably been getting offers from playoff teams trying to add D depth, what better way to boost his value a bit more than mention you might just keep him.

Hughes is using the media to his advantage, as opposed to using it to complain that this isn't Playstation and trades are hard to make.
I would like for Kulak to be traded because from what I understand Harris should join the NHL and I'd like to keep Schueneman in MTL. They guy is not a great Dman but he gives his all, and he is one of the good stories of this year. I like the fact that guys like Evans and him can have a spot after years of fighting for it...

Reactions: Leon Lucius Black

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

I'm sure teams are already asking about Kulak. But I also feel like teams that struck out on Chiarot and Manson and will strike out on Giordano and Lindholm, will turn to Habs. Kulak would be in that 3rd tier of UFA D that teams will turn to. I think he'd be a deal that will be made on Monday (if he's dealt).

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I would like for Kulak to be traded because from what I understand Harris should join the NHL and I'd like to keep Schueneman in MTL. They guy is not a great Dman but he gives his all, and he is one of the good stories of this year. I like the fact that guys like Evans and him can have a spot after years of fighting for it...
Schuneman has better puck skills and IQ than Kulak.

But we saw his lack of size become a factor in last night's Dallas game.

Kulak's strengths are his size and Skating. I think his limited puck skills get a bit overblown because he'll make a mistake on a puck retrieval or an exit and that sticks in peoples' minds, overshadowing all the good he does positionally.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Is it just me or is Hughes giving mixed signals as far as a rebuild or retool or whatever the plan is?
I wouldn't say mixed signals, they've been pretty clear that they want to rebuild the organization as a whole to bring development, scouting, coaching, and other elements of the team up to modern standards befitting of the third richest franchise in the sport instead of our previous development team that consisted of the AHL coaching staff and two other guys. They've talked about moving out a lot of guys who don't fit their vision, trying to put together a team that can play faster and emphasizes offence while still being a responsible defensive group. I think Carolina is a basically the model here in terms of blending this tactical way of play with team-building strategy, and that's a team that's been successful despite a shoestring off-ice budget so the potential of taking that vision and adding unlimited hockey ops money is pretty attractive to me.

They've been upfront that the plan is not to turbo tank for Bedard next year and that the team will not be going through a "rebuild" in the sense of the HF Boards consensus of deliberately trying to be bad for multiple years. That doesn't mean mixed signals, it just means their plan is more nuanced than the false dichotomy of either mega tanking or desperately trading picks and prospects to be as good as possible in the short term. They're going to add some vets to replace the guys moved out at the deadline/draft/summer, and they'll probably target a Toffoli replacement like eg. Burakovsky who's a good fit in terms of age and term with the young group. The reason they're being vague about whether it's a 5 year rebuild plan or not is there's no reason to publicly outline a plan in that level of detail, because it realistically can't exist in hockey. Their plan is to essentially hand the keys from Weber/Price/Danault/Petry/Gallagher over to Suzuki/Caufield/Romanov/Guhle/2022 1st and let those young players force their hand to decide when it's time to go for it.

I don't agree with this at all. If the new front office does not believe it's in the team's best interest to go into next year targeting a top 3 pick and gut the roster to accomplish that goal, that does not mean they're just Bergevin 2.0, nor does it mean the team is setting itself up to be a low-scoring mediocre group of skaters that relies on rigid defensive play and elite goaltending to compete. It took Marc Bergevin 3413 days to acquire an additional 1st round pick which he traded away immediately. It took Kent Hughes 28 days to get an extra 1st round pick, and 31 days after that to acquire another. The last time we straight up traded a vet for a 1st was 2007. I think it's extremely and unreasonably pessimistic to portray the new front office's direction as merely an extension of what the team's been doing since the 90s given they've just demonstrated they're willing to be extremely aggressive in making moves and implementing their vision of the team, and they've been accumulating assets in a way we've really never seen the Habs do.

A rebuild is more than just moving picks and assets around on the draft table too. Deciding they've had enough of Ducharme and moving him for a coach that would re-establish some passion within the team and put players in situations to succeed is a wholesale change from what the Habs have been doing since 1993. The style of play St. Louis is talking about and what we've seen since the change is something we really have only seen in the lockout-shortened 12-13 season where we played an extremely aggressive 4 line attack under Therrien before he had the chance to implement his defence-first system the following year.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Still thinking the habs will have a pretty busy weekend........................and Deadline day.............thinking prospects, more than picks...
Hughes is a master at this poker thing...........

Scotianhab

Aug 2, 2005
Nova Scotia
Still thinking the habs will have a pretty busy weekend........................and Deadline day.............thinking prospects, more than picks...
Hughes is a master at this poker thing...........
That would be great but not sure what we have left outside of Lehkonen & Kulak. I can’t see Petry getting traded until the summer. Same with Drouin or Hoffman.

Paddy17

Apr 10, 2021
This post is not directed at you specifically, but why do people (fans and media) attach so much importance to a word? Does it change anything in what you do (the word you use)? Why limit your actions in the framework of a word? You do what you need to improve the team to be competitive for years, whether that involves selling a lot or buying a lot.

Reactions: BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
This post is not directed at you specifically, but why do people (fans and media) attach so much importance to a word? Does it change anything in what you do (the word you use)? Why limit your actions in the framework of a word? You do what you need to improve the team to be competitive for years, whether that involves selling a lot or buying a lot.
Agreed..............his plan is to make the team better....no semantics necessary as far as I am concerned.
We put up with a guy who had zero plan or vision for 10 years, so right now, it seems as we move forward we are in much better hands.
He has already acquired TWO first rounders via trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad