GDT: Kent Hughes Press Conference. February 16th 10:30 AM ET (RDS Online)

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Depends on multiple factors. Looks at the Inginla for Nieuwendyk trade. Dallas did what you said and have a cup to show for it. Of course Nieuwendyk was no David Savard though lol
. Yep, but this is a different era. There was no salary cap. Right now, a cost controlled guy until his 24/25 years old is litteraly a mine of gold. Right now, with a tight salary cap it become way harder for competitive team

Reactions: Rockomax

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
So you think Heineman will bust because... he's European?
The feeling comes from, starting with Heino-Lindberg:

2003 Entry1776Christopher Heino-LindbergGHammarby Jr. [Swe-Jr]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
2007 Entry1636Nichlas TorpDHV71 Jr. [Swe-Jr]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
2010 Entry2077John WestinLMoDo Jr. [Swe-Jr]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
2011 Entry1134Magnus NygrenDFarjestads BK Karlstad [SEL]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
2012 Entry332Sebastian CollbergRFrolunda HC [SEL]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
2012 Entry1546Erik NystromLMODO Hockey Ornskoldsvik [SEL]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
2013 Entry342Jacob De La RoseCLeksands IF [Swe-1]24213253884
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
2015 Entry873Lukas VejdemoCDjurgardens Jrs. (Sweden)132020
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
2016 Entry1877Arvid HenriksonDAIK Jrs (Sweden)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
2017 Entry582Joni IkonenCFrolunda [Sweden-Jr]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
2018 Entry562Jacob OlofssonCTimra IK [Swe-1]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Next on the list will be Norlinder and now Heinemann ? Sweden's leagues have not given us any player that accomplished much for our club. Not quite the same picture with the rest of the Euro leagues, (Lehkonen, Plekanec, but close)

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
so there’s no middle ground between franchise 1c and a 2c , cool, you got it figured out
For $8M/yr that denotes a middle ground... generally. 1C on a bad team. 2C on a contender.

Besides.. youre splitting hairs with 6'0" minimum, as hughes and suzuki are 5'11".. but not and ideal size for a 1C contending for a Cup.

Think of all the Cs in the league you would choose to be Your 1C on Your team.. then you will have your answer.

CaptainKirk

Sep 27, 2004
Moncton
It's not a bad deal. I feel like most are questioning the necessity and timing to trade him now as he was under contract for 2 more seasons after this one. He could have been a big help keep young players grounded next season and mentor the likes of Caufield, Suzuki and Evans, to whom his was very close.
I take it as smart asset management. His value would not be higher (with this team) in the next two years. Might as well get the best multiple assets you can for him, while replacing him with an older, maybe less skilled veteran in free agency this summer, that's open to mentoring the kids.

Reactions: themilosh

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
It's not a bad deal. I feel like most are questioning the necessity and timing to trade him now as he was under contract for 2 more seasons after this one. He could have been a big help keep young players grounded next season and mentor the likes of Caufield, Suzuki and Evans, to whom his was very close.
He's one of the only players of value we have , seems like a good haul to me, better than whatever we will get for chiarot, gallagher or any of the other guys we want shot out of a cannon..

Reactions: Rapala

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Next on the list will be Norlinder and now Heinemann ? Sweden's leagues have not given us any player that accomplished much for our club. Not quite the same picture with the rest of the Euro leagues, (Lehkonen, Plekanec, but close)

So the problem is that he is playing in Sweden?

What if I told you Lehkonen played two years in the SHL before coming to NA?

Reactions: Gravity

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
He would know definitely a loser attitude since he has one. The problem is that idiots like these get a mic to spew their garbage far and wide.
Like benoit Brunet, norman flynn, guy boucher, michel bergeron…. They are all looking nhl hockey with their glass of trainer and old hockey player with win now attitude instead of management guys. When those guys are talking i’m just get more tired so I turn off the tv.

Reactions: MasterD and Gravity

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
I take it as smart asset management. His value would not be higher (with this team) in the next two years. Might as well get the best multiple assets you can for him, while replacing him with an older, maybe less skilled veteran in free agency this summer, that's open to mentoring the kids.
I see it as the contrary.

You will trade other players within the next month that will likely bring more '22 picks. Why not spread the assets over 2 years? Especially since you have to build the scouting department back up.

I'm not questioning the value of the return here. I'm just saying that you have an interim head scout that will be making enormous decision for the future of this team. I would have preferred to mitigate risks while trading some players this year and others next year. Plus, with Toffoli's numbers last year and this one too, I think it's safe to say that the value would have been similar next season. BUT, if the team is really sold on Heineman's potential, maybe waiting another year would have made him unavailable.

Reactions: Archijerej

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
So the problem is that he is playing in Sweden?

What if I told you Lehkonen played two years in the SHL before coming to NA?
He came at age 21. If Heinemann does the same we're good. We have a lot of forwards though..

Maybe they ship a bunch and make room sure.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
He would know definitely a loser attitude since he has one. The problem is that idiots like these get a mic to spew their garbage far and wide.
Again, because TVA Sports will be losing more money because of Habs sucking for 2-3 seasons. TV media is bringing the heat. Par to the course.
Expect even MORE vitriol over the next month.

SpeedyPotato

Mar 29, 2012
Not sure if it's been mentioned but Pierre Lebrun said he talked to a bunch of GMs and they didn't even know that Toffoli was in play, the trade was initiated by Calgary.

Basically he didn't get shopped and so the return was dependent on the few teams who actively approached us for him.

That's nuts if true and explains the underwhelming return.
This makes no sense, we've heard that teams were after him for weeks. If that came out in the media, any team slightly interested would've contacted Hughes to inquire if he was indeed available.

SpeedyPotato

Mar 29, 2012

[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Lehkonen actually played with Frolunda in the SHL before coming here...

FlatIron

Sep 27, 2017
Montreal
This guy is hella sharp

That's typically what a highly educated person sounds like. Sure, there are dimwits who are very educated and there are sharp guys with minimal post sec education but those are usually the exceptions. What a difference compared to muscle man.

As everyone else has said, I love what I'm hearing so far.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Lehkonen actually played with Frolunda in the SHL before coming here...
Yep, he's the exception, but he quit at 21 and was successful. The list isn't even complete because we acquired SHL players form other clubs who played longer in the SHL and they didn't do shit either.

It's my fear, that if Heinemann gets stuck in the SHL longer than Lehks, he'll have roughly the same kind of impact as the others preceding him and that makes the trade not that great imho.

Forsead

Apr 7, 2009
Québec City

Yeah that's funny from the guy who coached the Nordiques to a 12 W season and that traded away veterans Peter Statsny and Michel Goulet.

Maybe it's bringing back too many bad memories.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad