GDT: Kent Hughes Press Conference 1pm Eastern (Link Added)

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
I would assume this means we don't have any additions coming in. Not necessarily a bad thing.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I would assume this means we don't have any additions coming in. Not necessarily a bad thing.

The Athletic had a good article on this last night.

"And it is appropriate that Hughes is hamstrung with a salary-cap situation he inherited that paralyzed the Canadiens on the opening day of the market.

All of it is appropriate because this is how the Canadiens should be operating right now. They are not at a stage where signing high-priced free agents makes sense. They are at a stage where they should be focusing on player development, like they were all week with director of hockey development Adam Nicholas running the show for the first time and doing a job so impressive that Vincent Lecavalier and Marie-Philip Poulin were left shaking their heads at how much they learned from him."

"But rather than a burden, Hughes should see this paralysis as a blessing. Championship teams are rarely built through free agency, if ever. They are built through what happened earlier in the day in Brossard, Quebec, through the activities Nicholas was overseeing."

"
The Canadiens might still make improvements, and even if they don’t, they could improve internally with the natural progression of Suzuki, Caufield and others. But considering how much better division rivals like Ottawa and Detroit got Wednesday, making the Atlantic Division an even tougher slog, what was once a possibility of the Canadiens perhaps having a top-10 pick in next year’s draft might now be a very real possibility of having a pick in the top five. And there are difference-making players available in the top five of next year’s draft.

This forced state of treading water might be frustrating for Hughes, these handcuffs left by his predecessor. But they allow the Canadiens to undergo more of a proper rebuild without having to admit that is what they are doing. And that is more of a gift than a burden."

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
This forced state of treading water might be frustrating for Hughes, these handcuffs left by his predecessor. But they allow the Canadiens to undergo more of a proper rebuild without having to admit that is what they are doing. And that is more of a gift than a burden."

I agree with this a lot.

At this point, Montreal is the weakest team in the East, and outside of Arizona and Chicago, I can't see anyone finishing lower in the standings than us (unless Cole becomes a 50g guy and Price returns to full immaculate health lol) ... it's a shame we won the lottery this year (lightning can strike twice!) because we have a real shot at a top 3 pick next year - I think we will end up with Fantilli ... or Dvorsky (we will be the Slovakian team at this rate)

HomeAndHome

All aboard the Lane train! WooWoo
Mar 10, 2017
London, ON
You would think there is something up..............why bother if there is nothing to announce.......this is not the Bergevin Montreal Canadiens.....
When I was watching TSN yesterday all of the Canadian team GMs did a media availability except MTL. Could just be standard post FA q & a? :huh:

Unless I missed it lol

Reactions: Wats

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I agree with this a lot.

At this point, Montreal is the weakest team in the East, and outside of Arizona and Chicago, I can't see anyone finishing lower in the standings than us (unless Cole becomes a 50g guy and Price returns to full immaculate health lol) ... it's a shame we won the lottery this year (lightning can strike twice!) because we have a real shot at a top 3 pick next year - I think we will end up with Fantilli.

A top 8 pick next year is all I'm hoping for and its a completely realistic outcome.

The only way its not is if Suzuki, Caufield, Slafkovsky and Dach make monumental leaps and we get vintage Price goaltending.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
"So yeah eh... we did nothing, bye"

Why even hold a presser.
To lower expectations. They postponed last night's presser. Which had to mean...something is in the works. They now have one today to say.....we are still working but nothing is imminent. We are not in a easy situation right now as you could see with the Patch trade etc...

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
Will he comment on other teams signings, with this deadline being his first on the ‘other side of the fence’?

Would be interested in hearing him roast other teams bad signings 😁

Aug 25, 2009
éal
I'll agree with you guys on this one. Bergevin was a genius for capstrapping us with all those bad contracts. Makes us instant contender for Bedard.

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
Also, wonder if Lavoie (or someone) will ask about the infamous draft trade put on hold till ufa day.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
You would think there is something up..............why bother if there is nothing to announce.......this is not the Bergevin Montreal Canadiens.....
Because every team apparently has a press conference within a day or 2 after free agency starts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad