GDT: Kent Hughes / Jeff Gorton / Geoff Molson Press Conference Jan 19, 4:00 PM ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
So I just finished watching Kent’s interviews on twitch and Sportsnet with Erik Engels.
My key takeaway is that he seems very open to a retool and not necessarily a full rebuild.
The reason I think that is because In the Engels interview He kept referring and listing to the importance of leadership and chemistry in the room being vital and then goes on to tell anecdotes about some retired veterans in the league and how they helped the rest of the team play better including Recchi’s impact in Bostonz
He also mentioned that when thinking about the Stanley cup being an objective for them, that it could be something they go for in year 1, 4 or 5 and that it all depends. The fact that he included year 1 in there I thought was notable.
He says that he’s going to focus on advanced stats to help judge players and that it’s not enough to say that a player is doing poorly but to find out why he’s doing poorly which suggests that he’s not ready to trade the everyone right away and that he wants to see if they’ll fit in the new modern and offensive identity he wants to build.
He also said that he’s big on player development and for him as a scout it starts when the kids are like 14 but that it shouldn’t stop just when you get to the NHL which again means he’s going to want more than just Ducharme working with these and future players moving forward.
I am sorry but there is just no way this team is 1 year away from the sustainable contention he referred to.

Leafs1991

Nov 17, 2015
Aren't you able to meet someone or listen to their communication and learn about their experiences and acknowledge that they they are intelligent? It was a 45 minute interview.
You can, but I wanted to hear why he thought so, especially so given Kent has no experience as a GM.

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
I am sorry but there is just no way this team is 1 year away from the sustainable contention he referred to.
I don’t think so either but then again we were in the Stanley cup final last year so it’s not out of the realm of possibilities to think that there’s a good core here that could compete again sooner rather than later

Reactions: Habssince89

BozoTheClown

Jul 10, 2021
So I just finished watching Kent’s interviews on twitch and Sportsnet with Erik Engels.
My key takeaway is that he seems very open to a retool and not necessarily a full rebuild.
The reason I think that is because In the Engels interview He kept referring and listing to the importance of leadership and chemistry in the room being vital and then goes on to tell anecdotes about some retired veterans in the league and how they helped the rest of the team play better including Recchi’s impact in Bostonz
He also mentioned that when thinking about the Stanley cup being an objective for them, that it could be something they go for in year 1, 4 or 5 and that it all depends. The fact that he included year 1 in there I thought was notable.
He says that he’s going to focus on advanced stats to help judge players and that it’s not enough to say that a player is doing poorly but to find out why he’s doing poorly which suggests that he’s not ready to trade the everyone right away and that he wants to see if they’ll fit in the new modern and offensive identity he wants to build.
He also said that he’s big on player development and for him as a scout it starts when the kids are like 14 but that it shouldn’t stop just when you get to the NHL which again means he’s going to want more than just Ducharme working with these and future players moving forward.
I think Price is done in Montreal. It’s been 15 years.
I also think that Gallagher is out at some point.
We don’t have a 1st line, not much of a second line either and Suzuki is out only top center. Most of our wingers are 2nd line quality. We are without a #1 dmen and this point, with Petry performance so far this seasons, we are without a top pairing defensive duo.
I think they are expecting to be there in 5 years and we should start seeing results after the 3rd seasons.

We need top end talent and this is the hardest part to get. It takes time.

Last edited:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I don’t think so either but then again we were in the Stanley cup final last year so it’s not out of the realm of possibilities to think that there’s a good core here that could compete again sooner rather than later

A lot of that core is gone or damaged goods...
Danault - Gone
Tatar - Gone (not good in POs but his during the season is a big reason we even made it in)
Price - Damaged goods
Weber - Damaged goods
Petry - Shadow of himself
Perry - Gone

Not to mention, this only happens because we played in a Canadian division with 6 opponents.
If we faced a team in our usual division like...Tampa...in Round 1 or 2 as we were meant to, we never make the Finals too.
Last year should not be some measuring standard. The season prior, we were 24th.
We were meant to miss the POs 4/5 last years, in a normal season we probably miss the POs last season as well going 5/6. That's what you need to look at...not some odd run during a special covid year.

There is a lot of work to do.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Thought I was watching a PC but all of sudden, heard some sweet music coming in.

dramactic-rain.gif

Perfect depiction of our initial reaction to that quote :vhappy:

Reactions: Runner77

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Kent Hugues isnt talking about reset/retool, name it like you want. Now, This guys will just never sign guys like armia,byron, hoffman, alzner, gallagher on a long term or/ high aav. Like previous management. Then, the team is gonna be build by itself . Bad contracts his killing a team.. He just wants assets in his hands. He told it. Teams buy high and sells low. Exemple : team gonna buy high if toffoli (aav) or chiarot (1 yr left) are on the market. He will probably use it. Instead of selling low gallagher.

Last edited:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Just find it refreshing we have guys in place who don't act like they're the smartest in the room...
Bergey always sounded arrogant and pompous, getting away with him because of his charm.

Feels good to have intelligent people leading the team, or so it seems...hopefully they'll live up to it!

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
Well I didn't see it but I trust people on here to give a good sense if it was a + or -
Seems like a +

Get to it boys.... sell sell sell!

Reactions: Runner77

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Trade deadline is the 1st big hurdle

I'm expecting Chiarot and Kulak (the ufas) to go for whatever the market will pay for them.

not really expecting more than that at this point. Would be nice to trade vets for something. But none of our vets are having particularly good seasons. So why trade them now when their value is low?

Reactions: Hins77

Mandalorian

Screw the tank, just WIN BABY!
Jan 3, 2022
In your head, rent free
An interesting target on the UFA market this summer could be Andre Burakovsky.

Will be 27 this summer. 6'3 200 pounds.

31 points in 34 games. Among the best in the league for One-Ice expected goals%, monster corsi and fenwick.

Find a way to trade Drouin and Toffoli and you get yourselves 10M$ in cap space. Enough to sign this guy.

Habricot

Oct 22, 2017
An interesting target on the UFA market this summer could be Andre Burakovsky.

Will be 27 this summer. 6'3 200 pounds.

31 points in 34 games. Among the best in the league for One-Ice expected goals%, monster corsi and fenwick.

Find a way to trade Drouin and Toffoli and you get yourselves 10M$ in cap space. Enough to sign this guy.
There is no reason to trade Toffoli

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
His approach seems analytical. Bergevin approach was emotional. He sounds a lot more calculated than Bergevin ever did and that's a great thing

Roy would have had an emotional approach as well. Just an angrier version of Bergevin imho

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad