News Article: Kendall Coyne Joins Sharks' broadcast for select games

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Sharks Add Gold Medalist Kendall Coyne Schofield to TV Broadcast Team

Here is the link to the article about the Sharks broadcast schedule this year. It looks like they are really trying to push the SAP Center App, with 3 games being aired exclusively on the App. Also, that's where the Preseason games will go.

Interesting they got Kendall as part of the Sharks broadcast team. That's going to be a pretty crowded team this year though. It did seem like Kendell was improving as time went on and I was surprised to see her as part of the Sharks playoff coverage. Is she from the Bay Area?

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
Pretty stoked on this! I love her accent, but too bad she missed out on getting to say "Tayco Torrie":laugh:

Last edited:

OffSydes

#tank2014/5
Aug 14, 2011
Sharks Add Gold Medalist Kendall Coyne Schofield to TV Broadcast Team

Here is the link to the article about the Sharks broadcast schedule this year. It looks like they are really trying to push the SAP Center App, with 3 games being aired exclusively on the App. Also, that's where the Preseason games will go.

Interesting they got Kendall as part of the Sharks broadcast team. That's going to be a pretty crowded team this year though. It did seem like Kendell was improving as time went on and I was surprised to see her as part of the Sharks playoff coverage. Is she from the Bay Area?

Her husband plays for the Chargers so its probably a quick flight up for her.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Sharks need female broadcaster. Setting her up to do full time when she retires from playing.

#NotJustATokenFemale

Last edited:

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
I’ll reserve judgment until I see how she performs, but she was not good in the playoffs.
Agree, I'm all for adding female broadcasters but I did not enjoy her in the playoffs. Hopefully with some more time she will get better...interested to see how it goes.

Semi off topic but I also think her between the glass thing with Pierre is what ultimately led to his demotion.

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
Was she the one doing games in the playoffs? For NBC? Whoever that was was really bad haha

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I'm all for sideline reporters in other sports (key word: reporters), but I'm not really a fan of color commentary from the sideline/rinkside/courtside/whatever. I am also not a fan of three announcers in the same game. The three person booth is usually awful (see Sunday Night Baseball on ESPN for example, which I never watch, but I constantly hear bad things about it).

Edit: I thought A.J. someone did color commentary for NBC. I don't remember Kendall doing it.

SacLandshark

Dec 27, 2010
I heard a great interview with AJ Melesco (Not even trying to spell correct) and she was horrified at her early performances behind the mic. She said it was much harder than she thought and she improved a lot over later games. Coyne speaks well - she'll get the hang of it soon. IMO, AJ is up there with the best in the biz.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I'm all for sideline reporters in other sports (key word: reporters), but I'm not really a fan of color commentary from the sideline/rinkside/courtside/whatever. I am also not a fan of three announcers in the same game. The three person booth is usually awful (see Sunday Night Baseball on ESPN for example, which I never watch, but I constantly hear bad things about it).

Edit: I thought A.J. someone did color commentary for NBC. I don't remember Kendall doing it.
I dunno. Braden, Fosse and Kuiper work really well together when doing A's games.

LeeIFBB

Crossing the Rubicon
Sep 30, 2011
Tanning Bed
When you're as bad as she was in those broadcasts, you can only get better.

But she should be fine as long as she remembers not to take the passion out of the game.

ScottyDont

Aug 30, 2010
Philly (<3 in SJ)
I know this sounds super sexist, not really my intent, but female broadcasters just don't sound good to me in general. They're usually really monotone and it make the broadcast dull. :oops:

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Doris Burke (NBA) is really good.

She's terrific. Everyone's looking for the hockey Doris Burke, and are rushing people like Coyne into a spot, that they don't deserve. I really hope Coyne spent the offseason really working on her craft if even just watching games on silent and talking over them, because she was very bad. There were some hilarious moments when Pierre McGuire would be like trying to coax words out of her. "What do you think about that powerplay Kendall?" ..... [10 second pause] "Right you are Pierre".

Everyone can improve though. I just feel like she shouldn't be coming onto the biggest stage in hockey to try and improve from where she is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad