Ken Linseman

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
You want to see the Rat as a rookie? On NHL Network right now is game 6 of the 1980 Cup clincher between the Islanders-Flyers.

maybe my all time favorite game as a yute that didn't involve Boston

I'm taping and watching the Red Sox-Yanks but this game is loaded with some of the most amazing stars and characters not to mention maybe the best team in the history of hockey (1980-83 Islanders) and many of the bad ***** from the Broadstreet Bullies.

Bossy, Trottier, Potvin, Smith, Goring, Tonelli, Clarke Gillies and lots of Sutters....Gary Howett some think the best fighter ever pound for pound

the Flyers have some of the bad ***** of that ere led by Bobby Clarke- Mel Bridgeman, Behn Wilson, Bob 'Hound' Kelly, Andre 'Moose' Dupont, Paul Holmgren....and studs like Barber, Linesman, Brian Propp, Rick McLeish and Reggie Leach

the late 70's Flyers to me were the toughest team ever assembled- maybe only the Cherry Bruins of that era was tougher, the Flyers imo were more dirtier

Rat? Moose? Hound? Big Bird?.....really, how can you not love a team that sounds like wrestlers on skates

Its hockey nirvana- greatness meets bad ass.....alien vs predator

Flyers Kelly fighting Bob Nystrom that has more punches that the Merriweather fight....wow, unfreaking real

but check out Ken Linesman folks, he is probably 19 or so and then tell me he couldn't play for Boston this Fall and be the best forward we have.

He had speed before all the hockey players had skating coaches and excellent equipment

also, in one period he causes more crap than Marchand in a month

Last edited:

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
You want to see the Rat as a rookie? On NHL Network right now is game 6 of the 1980 Cup clincher between the Islanders-Flyers.

maybe my all time favorite game as a yute that didn't involve Boston

I'm taping and watching the Red Sox-Yanks but this game is loaded with some of the most amazing stars and characters not to mention maybe the best team in the history of hockey (1980-83 Islanders) and many of the bad ***** from the Broadstreet Bullies.

Bossy, Trottier, Potvin, Smith, Goring, Tonelli, Clarke Gillies and lots of Sutters....Gary Howett some think the best fighter ever pound for pound

the Flyers have some of the bad ***** of that ere led by Bobby Clarke- Mel Bridgeman, Behn Wilson, Bob 'Hound' Kelly, Andre 'Moose' Dupont, Paul Holmgren....and studs like Barber, Linesman, Brian Propp, Rick McLeish and Reggie Leach

the late 70's Flyers to me were the toughest team ever assembled- maybe only the Cherry Bruins of that era was tougher, the Flyers imo were more dirtier

Rat? Moose? Hound? Big Bird?.....really, how can you not love a team that sounds like wrestlers on skates

Its hockey nirvana- greatness meets bad ass.....alien vs predator

Flyers Kelly fighting Bob Nystrom that has more punches that the Merriweather fight....wow, unfreaking real

but check out Ken Linesman folks, he is probably 19 or so and then tell me he couldn't play for Boston this Fall and be the best forward we have.

He had speed before all the hockey players had skating coaches and excellent equipment

also, in one period he causes more crap than Marchand in a month

QFMFT. I only wish people here got to see him as we did back then. Guy was everything you say above. Pasta at times had a few flashes last year that reminded me of KL, but Kenny had it all. Just a wicked good playah.

hutch22

Jan 10, 2004
Waterville, Maine
Visit site
I saw a B's rookies vs Flyers rookies game at North Yarmouth Academy (now the Travis Roy Ice Arena). The game featured Ken Linesman and Al Secord. Secord scored on his first shift and B's rookie (and #1 draft pick) Clayton Pachal fought Ken Linesman 3 times in the game. Ah, the good old days.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
I'll never forget Kenny's attempt to remove Tomas Sandstroms testicles with a quick stick yank (think Lucic on Dekeyser except Sandstrom was a guy who deserved it. But he was a great player too, tremendous setup man on the top scoring line, really jelled with Charlie Simmer and Keith Crowder. Essential Part of the Cup final runs of the late 80's

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I recall watching him when I lived in Ottawa playing against the 67`s when he was on the Kingston Canadians (I couldn`t have been older than 8-9 years old) and man was he dirty, great player but dirty and my old man insisted if he ever made the NHL, the guy would last a week as he`d get killed

If not mistaken, he posted 200+ pims in the OHL one year? He could play, he was nasty, he was fun to watch

Game was different, filled with nasty and filth.....what a time

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
My funniest memory of Linesman was playing high school soccer against him in Kingston, he threatened to break my leg, needless to say I told him where to go. In hindsight I may have been fortunate because even though for hockey he was on the smallish side, on the soccer field with his big legs he was nothing to shrug at, plus he was kind of crazy.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
My funniest memory of Linesman was playing high school soccer against him in Kingston, he threatened to break my leg, needless to say I told him where to go. In hindsight I may have been fortunate because even though for hockey he was on the smallish side, on the soccer field with his big legs he was nothing to shrug at, plus he was kind of crazy.

I was off on Friday's when he was here and used to see him at the gym that day. We were same age and he had a nice Mercedes with his initials as the license plate. I was already a Bruins season ticket holder and told him my sister had babysat for Reggie Leach when he was here and I used to love playing with the kid and he was over. My father was good friends with Parent, and former Flyers winger Ross Lonsberry- who lived with Orr and crew (including Flyers Joe Watson) at apartments where the North Shore Mall is now in Peabody. Lot of Bruins ended up on the Flyers including Leach and MacLesih that killed Boston. Boston got them in the same draft top 4 picks in the first round and squandered them. Had they kept those two the Bruins probably have about 7 Cups from that era

He was great to me and I found out quick he was smart and had a lot of outside interests. He'd talk hockey but he would much rather talk about other things- and he was pretty engaging when the topic wasn't hockey at least it seemed that way. He also had the tattoo of the Rat on his leg which surprised me because I had heard he didn't like being called that. The guy worked out hard and was one focused SOB. He also had some funny stuff to say about the Flyers and loved the Rat Patrol Line stuff when he centered Brian Propp and Paul Holmgren. I hated the Flyers but they were amazing team- and that line was incredible. Anyone who didn't get to see that combo of talent and chaos missed something. Linesman had present day speed back then- and he was super skilled. We got him on the back nine but still good, the early Linesman you could not take your eyes off when out there he was capable of greatness and mischief at any time.

the Flyers really should have won 3-4 Cups from 1974 to 1987 they were that good

Last edited:

BobbyAwe

Nov 21, 2006
South Carolina
One of the most underrated players ever. Also one of the most falsely advertised in height/weight...he was listed at 5'11 180lbs. but he was more like 5'8 160lbs.

BobbyAwe

Nov 21, 2006
South Carolina
The knock against Linesman, of course, was that he took too many bad penalties, but how many penalties did he draw by making the other guy's lose their cool? That is an intangible as far as stats go, but I'm pretty sure it worked both ways? IOW, I don't think his penalty totals were as much a liability as it seems on paper when you estimate the retaliatory penalties he must have been drawing?

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I hate to piss on everybody's party but I loathed Linseman and for the same reasons I loathe Marchand.

Stupid penalties, cheap shots, yapping yapping yapping. Ugh. Bush league hockey at its worst.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I'll never forget Kenny's attempt to remove Tomas Sandstroms testicles with a quick stick yank (think Lucic on Dekeyser except Sandstrom was a guy who deserved it. But he was a great player too, tremendous setup man on the top scoring line, really jelled with Charlie Simmer and Keith Crowder. Essential Part of the Cup final runs of the late 80's

I recall that one also.

Honestly, I didn't even like him when he was a Bruin. Dirtiest player I've ever seen at the NHL level.

Interesting tidbit:

In 1981-82 Linseman had 275 penalty minutes, good for 7th in the league. The top 6 were all fighters. Dale Hunter was 8th with 272 PIMs. Wonder if they had a bet.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I was off on Friday's when he was here and used to see him at the gym that day. We were same age and he had a nice Mercedes with his initials as the license plate. I was already a Bruins season ticket holder and told him my sister had babysat for Reggie Leach when he was here and I used to love playing with the kid and he was over. My father was good friends with Parent, and former Flyers winger Ross Lonsberry- who lived with Orr and crew (including Flyers Joe Watson) at apartments where the North Shore Mall is now in Peabody. Lot of Bruins ended up on the Flyers including Leach and MacLesih that killed Boston. Boston got them in the same draft top 4 picks in the first round and squandered them. Had they kept those two the Bruins probably have about 7 Cups from that era

He was great to me and I found out quick he was smart and had a lot of outside interests. He'd talk hockey but he would much rather talk about other things- and he was pretty engaging when the topic wasn't hockey at least it seemed that way. He also had the tattoo of the Rat on his leg which surprised me because I had heard he didn't like being called that. The guy worked out hard and was one focused SOB. He also had some funny stuff to say about the Flyers and loved the Rat Patrol Line stuff when he centered Brian Propp and Paul Holmgren. I hated the Flyers but they were amazing team- and that line was incredible. Anyone who didn't get to see that combo of talent and chaos missed something. Linesman had present day speed back then- and he was super skilled. We got him on the back nine but still good, the early Linesman you could not take your eyes off when out there he was capable of greatness and mischief at any time.

the Flyers really should have won 3-4 Cups from 1974 to 1987 they were that good

In the same boat as the Bruins during that time. Montreal, Islanders & Edmonton dynasties took 12 cups. Linseman was a key member of the first Oilers Cup team.

captain stone

Jul 10, 2004
Hershey PA
I hate to piss on everybody's party but I loathed Linseman and for the same reasons I loathe Marchand.

Stupid penalties, cheap shots, yapping yapping yapping. Ugh. Bush league hockey at its worst.

I agree, though Marchand isn't quite as dirty as the Rat, perhaps my least favorite Bruin ever, right behind Chris Nilan.
If both Nilan & the Rat were on fire, I wouldn't even bother pissing on them.
Fortunately, Sinden wised-up to the Rat's garbage in time to trade him to Philly for a couple of seasons of a real class act in Dave Poulin.

And have I mentioned that I really, truly, deeply despise the Rat & Nilan?

thegodfather

Dec 6, 2005
Stratford, Ontario

Dan my memory is failing me here, but I only remember Larry Robinson being nicknamed Big Bird...

Who else was it ?

FROMSHORETOCHARA

Jul 2, 2009
13 was a great clutch player, swept out of town by moron mike milbury who said he only played hard in big games. Anyway to linesman, first glance comp is Marchand but style of really not similar, Marchand a scoring winger, linesman playmaker first center. I saw one comp of pasta but other than speed I don't see that comp at all.

For those who never saw here are two comps. For current bruins spooner size and skill set similar to linesman.....if spooner develops into top center and if spooner was dirtiest player in the league! 2nd comp to modern but not current bruin, Marc savard but exponentially better skater and although Savy was chippy, linesman much chippier still

Favorite 13 memories. Playoffs early 80's vs habs, I believe he had 6 points in boston to force a game 5 in Montreal. I will guess 1985. Bruins lost series and every fight, totally outclassed except for linesman who carried them.

Bench clearing brawl 1986 vs habs. Despite what many people wrongly believe the bruins were NOT always tough, had a horrific run in early 80's when habs beat them I believe 4 years in a row and often intimated a lot of bruins...although never 13. Well THAT led to the hiring of terry oreilly after the firing of the pathetic butch goring. Habs came to town in maybe November and bruins made it clear that the days of being pushed around were over. Habs frankly still had more and better fighters but bruins had loaded up a little too and started to push back. After a big line brawl Chris Nilan was going to dressing room. Linesman goes to that end of bench and chirps him and all he'll broke lose from there. Legit bench clearing brawl with nevin markwart beating the piss out of a much larger Claude Lemieux. Fights broke out in hallway behind bench. It was olde time hockey at its best. Oh and the days of mike McPhee and Claude Lemieux and Chris Nilan taking liberties with bruins skill players with impunity ended. For good.

Last edited:

FROMSHORETOCHARA

Jul 2, 2009
I remember that game, and I also remember Linseman yapping at Nilan and then having someone else do his fighting for him.

Well why do you think they called him the rat? He was nasty but no fighter. In modern era he'd b called a spot picker for sure but It was a different era, the stick was the equalizer and everyone used it, Howe , Orr, shore all used the stick as a weapon. Early 80s end of that long era. So when Nilan would attack linesman, linesman wouldn't drop his gloves and get smoked, he cross check him in the mouth. That's how it was. There was no ludicrous "code" or staged fights then , they hated each other and everything went. You know largely why nhl put 3rd man in penalty on books 40-45 years ago because our "clean and beloved" bruins made 2 and 3 on 1 fights an art form, that's why.

Plus Nilan going after linesman was a tactic, Nilan was a good 4 th liner but linesman was our #1 center and in most big games our best player. It was like Krejci or Bergeron fighting Colton Orr. What good does that do if winning the goal?

But I concede your point if that's what u looking for, linesman was a spot picker and basically a non fighter by that point of his career I don't think any if his fans dispute that. We just don't care and liked him anyway.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Well why do you think they called him the rat? He was nasty but no fighter. In modern era he'd b called a spot picker for sure but It was a different era, the stick was the equalizer and everyone used it, Howe , Orr, shore all used the stick as a weapon. Early 80s end of that long era. So when Nilan would attack linesman, linesman wouldn't drop his gloves and get smoked, he cross check him in the mouth. That's how it was. There was no ludicrous "code" or staged fights then , they hated each other and everything went. You know largely why nhl put 3rd man in penalty on books 40-45 years ago because our "clean and beloved" bruins made 2 and 3 on 1 fights an art form, that's why.

Plus Nilan going after linesman was a tactic, Nilan was a good 4 th liner but linesman was our #1 center and in most big games our best player. It was like Krejci or Bergeron fighting Colton Orr. What good does that do if winning the goal?

But I concede your point if that's what u looking for, linesman was a spot picker and basically a non fighter by that point of his career I don't think any if his fans dispute that. We just don't care and liked him anyway.

If you consider every second he didn't have the puck a spot.

FROMSHORETOCHARA

Jul 2, 2009
If you consider every second he didn't have the puck a spot.

Well done. Yes he was a constant menace and fun to watch although any honest person would admit he was the prototype love him when he was with you and hate him when against you. Although I loved him game in philly and edm and was thrilled when they got him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad