Ken Holland To Columbus?

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
He has done some nice things

1. Hyman deal
2. RNH deal
3. Kane trade + deal
4. Bouchard bridge
5. Ekholm deal + extension (think that they extended him)

Bad

1. Campbell
2. Nurse
3. Not getting value for Yamamoto
4. Drafting + Development of Holloway, Borberg, Lavoie, Bourgueult etc

Not as bad as ppl pretend he is, but at his age he should just retire. f*** working

Keeping every first round picked instead of trading to get help was his biggest failure.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Ken Holland will slowly build up a team that's good, but will never have the balls to put his name on the line making moves to put his team over the top. He makes good teams, he doesn't make great teams in the cap era and his drafting now is awful.

Vivaldi

May 18, 2024
I find it funny that they're rumored to be looking at this retread but they all of teams let Bill Zito go, who is probably the only GM actually worthy of the reputation Ken Holland undeservingly had through the first half of his career. Its insane how much Zito was able to materialize out of thin air for the Panthers

Reactions: Dr Quincy

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Was bad in Detroit, was bad in Edmonton now they want him in Columbus?

Also why’s a GM negotiating for a new job while his team is in the playoffs? Not a good look

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I find it funny that they're rumored to be looking at this retread but they all of teams let Bill Zito go, who is probably the only GM actually worthy of the reputation Ken Holland undeservingly had through the first half of his career. Its insane how much Zito was able to materialize out of thin air for the Panthers
They also had Jared Bednar (Colorado Head Coach) as the head coach of the Erie Monsters and Chris McFarland (Colorado GM) as AGM.

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan

1. Hyman deal
2. RNH deal
3. Kane trade + deal
4. Bouchard bridge

Bad

1. Campbell
2. Nurse

Not as bad as ppl pretend he is, but at his age he should just retire. f*** working
He refuses to upgrade in net.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I guess I just assumed that he would pack it in after Edmonton.

I thought he was calling it a career in Edmonton.

This is what I thought as well. At least, he implied it in a press conference some time ago, right?

Reactions: BHD

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
I have Holland as a net positive since he took over. Oilers were going in a very bad direction and fast under the former regime.
Trading gagner for zoomzoomuselessseeyou was frustrating. That hyman and nuge signing was godlike though.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Columbus absolutely should NOT do this.

Holland did some good. The negatives I feel vastly outweigh the positives. The Nurse extension alone should have been a fireable offense

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018

1. Hyman deal
2. RNH deal
3. Kane trade + deal
4. Bouchard bridge

Bad

1. Campbell
2. Nurse

I'd say Oiler fans are quite satisfied with how Holloway's development is going.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Columbus (few years into a rebuild) is in a different competitive situation than Detroit (declining naturally) and Edmonton (trying to fix a flawed core on the fly).

Don Waddell had a horrid reputation 6 years ago for failing to build a winner in Atlanta. No one says anything about him nowadays after managing a team in a different position.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Columbus (few years into a rebuild) is in a different competitive situation than Detroit (declining naturally) and Edmonton (trying to fix a flawed core on the fly).

Don Waddell had a horrid reputation 6 years ago for failing to build a winner in Atlanta. No one says anything about him nowadays after managing a team in a different position.
It's pretty generous to describe the Detroit situation merely as "declining naturally".

The bridge over the canyon was out. Everyone knew it was out. Claxons and air raid sirens announcing the bridge was out. Numerous opportunities to switch tracks or hit the brakes, but Kenny went over the edge full steam ahead chasing the dragon of the "just get in and hope for the best" playoffs.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
It's pretty generous to describe the Detroit situation merely as "declining naturally".

The bridge over the canyon was out. Everyone knew it was out. Claxons and air raid sirens announcing the bridge was out. Numerous opportunities to switch tracks or hit the brakes, but Kenny went over the edge full steam ahead chasing the dragon of the "just get in and hope for the best" playoffs.

I’ve become more understanding of the predicament he was in over time, probably because I live in a market going through the same thing right now.

Clubs can either get ahead of it, fight it unsuccessfully or let it run its natural course.

Getting ahead of it is not easy. Pulling the rug out from cup winning legacy players is tough. Waiving the white flag to the fanbase is also painful financially, in the short-term. Ownership has a say.

It doesn’t look like he fought it to a meaningful degree. Save for the Datsyuk trade down of a few spots, he stopped trading 1sts after 2012. Is there something I’m missing?

He pivoted reasonably fast. Smith was dealt in non-playoff year 1. Mrazek and Tatar went in 2, Nyquist and Jensen in 3.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
As an Oil fan - YES
As a Jiricek, Svozil, Rysavy and Cajan fan - f*** NO

An absolute clown GM.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I’ve become more understanding of the predicament he was in over time, probably because I live in a market going through the same thing right now.

Clubs can either get ahead of it, fight it unsuccessfully or let it run its natural course.

Getting ahead of it is not easy. Pulling the rug out from cup winning legacy players is tough. Waiving the white flag to the fanbase is also painful financially, in the short-term. Ownership has a say.

It doesn’t look like he fought it to a meaningful degree. Save for the Datsyuk trade down of a few spots, he stopped trading 1sts after 2012. Is there something I’m missing?

He pivoted reasonably fast. Smith was dealt in non-playoff year 1. Mrazek and Tatar went in 2, Nyquist and Jensen in 3.
That 1st was exceptionally egregious to trade for a player he waived only a few years prior.

Sure, after that it was just young players and 2nds (several of which that played in this spring's playoffs) for a collection of broken down players. Trading off some pieces after he sailed off the edge is a whole lot of too little too late. It's like giving someone credit for quitting smoking... after the cancer diagnosis.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Keeping every first round picked instead of trading to get help was his biggest failure.
No. That strategy was sound. Holland picked the right time to start unloading 1sts to supplement the roster. He’s traded the last 3 first round picks to that end. Before that, the plan was to keep the 1sts to draft supplemental support cause the team wasn’t quite there yet to compete. The plan would have worked wonderfully, if he didn’t have the worst scouting director in Tyler Wright which the Oiler fired last year.

Half Clapper

Dec 1, 2017
Holland also got hosed by Arizona. Gave up a promising young big D-man away in Kesselring. He is better than Desharnais and Kulak.

Reactions: Czechboy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad