Ken Holland on 97.1FM right now

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
He said he's most bothered by the inconsistency, particularly with a poor home record.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Says that everybody is in a waiting game, with all the teams bunched up.

Says that even if you decide to sell, you have to wait until a team decides to buy, and find a good deal.

Says, "You always want to have hope. It doesn't look like we'll make it for now, but you never know."

Says they're not going to be a buyer. He'll work the phones, and if there's a fit for selling, they will, but that standing Pat is fine if there's not a fit.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Defended Blashill's resume of past success. Claimed that every year teams are moving up and down in transition.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Said that both he and Blash are disappointed, particularly with the power play, but that he's done a good job with the circumstances he's in.

Datsyukian Deke

The Captain is Home!!
Apr 5, 2012
Middle Tennessee
Somebody should point to him how his awful contract signings are hurting the team long term.

Nothing but incompetence, arrogance, & excuses spew from his mouth, beyond tired of him.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Said that the Wings are in a spot where nobody is untouchable, but that it would be tough to find a deal that would justify moving certain (good young) players.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Says that nowadays, the draft is the only way to get an impact defenseman.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Admits that even if they hit on a defenseman in the draft, that it will take 5 years to see him improve the roster.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Said that while he's waiting on prospects, if the right trade chimes along, he'd be willing to pull the trigger. Mentioned that he could trade future assets.

(End of interview)

Sigh...Or actually trade a roster player.

Just too set in his ways.

Datsyukian Deke

The Captain is Home!!
Apr 5, 2012
Middle Tennessee
Said that while he's waiting on prospects, if the right trade chimes along, he'd be willing to pull the trigger. Mentioned that he could trade future assets.

(End of interview)

Thank you for the updates!

Ain't that the truth, he's in Joe Dumars territory for being overly stubborn & arrogant, and behind in the times, but refuses to admit it to himself.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

(End of interview)

Says that even if you decide to sell, you have to wait until a team decides to buy, and find a good deal.

Says, "You always want to have hope. It doesn't look like we'll make it for now, but you never know."

Says they're not going to be a buyer. He'll work the phones, and if there's a fit for selling, they will, but that standing Pat is fine if there's not a fit.

Said that the Wings are in a spot where nobody is untouchable, but that it would be tough to find a deal that would justify moving certain (good young) players.
What do you want him to say?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Most of that is what he should be saying, IMO.

As long as when he says he could trade future assets it would be for someone like Shattenkirk, not another crusty old rental, then I'm fine with it. I'm assuming he just means he is keeping his options open.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I'm not super in favor of firing Blashill. If we do I won't be upset, i kind of agree with Holland in the sense that he's been a dealt a bad hand (due to Holland's **** poor roster management,) but that doesn't exonerate Blashill from his poor utilization and roster decisions. My main thing with Blashill is I was hoping he'd be a coach for the kids, and while Larkin and Mantha have had good rookie seasons, I'm not thrilled by Larkin's sophomore year or his usage of AA, or Tatar's regression under him.

I kind of want to give him more time, but at the same time, not thrilled with what I've seen. He's made a lot of boneheaded choices, but that might be due to being a sophomore coach trying to throw **** at the wall to see what sticks.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
i actually like what i'm hearing.

except it if they hit on defenseman, it should take sooner than 5 years to see him improve the roster.

I took that as an indication that he is not planning on drafting top 10 if he can manage.

If we draft top 10 what you are saying should be true.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
What do you want him to say?
With regards to trades, I didn't mean to imply that he was saying all the wrong things.

It's that, year in and year out, the words talk of finding the right fit, but the actions never materialize.

A decade worth of not being willing to trade a decent roster player is too long.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

Is this just moving prospects/kids or anyone? If we're not making the playoffs then getting almost anything for guys who either aren't living up to their deals or who are UFA at the end of the season should be a fit. The difference between wanting a 1st and being offer a 2nd & 3rd shouldn't dissuade us from dealing Vanek, for example.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I'll believe it when I see it. Holland doesn't make trades. Never has, so I doubt he's going to start unloading players now.

His comments on Blashill really worry/anger me. If Blashill is behind the bench next year, I'm gonna be outraged. I won't be able to make it through another year with an imbecile in charge of ice time. I can't take 17 minutes per game from Sheahan anymore while AA gets 9.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Admits that even if they hit on a defenseman in the draft, that it will take 5 years to see him improve the roster.

This is such garbage being spewed by Holland. It doesn't take 5 years for other organizations. We see time and time again other NHL organizations giving young players a chance. Just because the Wings organization you need to earn your way to the team, through 2,3,4+ years in the minors does not mean that this is the formula to success. While at times being patient is key, it's complete garbage from Holland..:shakehead

I guess the definition of "impact" can alter from person to person, but here are some "impact" defencemen in the league that have taken less than 5 years to improve an NHL roster:

-Jakob Chychrun. Made the NHL immediately after his draft. While not necessarily an impact D yet, he is still playing a regular NHL shift straight from the draft. Kinda ironic how we could have had Chychrun, but Holland passed...

-Zach Werenski. Made the NHL 1 year after being drafted. He is definetely an "impact" defenceman there Mr. GM. Werenski is unreal.

-Ivan Provorov. Made the NHL 1 year after being drafted. Also a great D already, not quite Werenski level, but pretty darn close.

-Brandon Carlo. Made the NHL 1 year after being drafted.

-Noah Hanifin. Made the NHL immediately after his draft. Was perhaps rushed in by Carolina, but he is still a solid top 4 NHL defenceman already.

-Aaron Ekblad. Made the NHL immediately after his draft. Has regressed a bit this year, but he is still going to be an impact D for many years to come.

-Rasmus Ristolainen. Made it straight outta the draft and struggled a bit his rookie year. He started to become a good player 1 year out of the draft, and now is entering elite level status. Was drafted less than 5 years ago.

-Seth Jones. Made it to the NHL right after his draft. Has continually progressed into a great D. Made it as an NHL All-Star before Holland's aforementioned "5 years".

-Jaccob Slavin. One of the most underrated players in the NHL. Made it before Holland's nonsensical claim.

Holland is wrong, and is stubborn, and needs to go.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I think the idea is we're tired of him "saying" it and what him to DO it.
Yeah I do get that, but it's also the first time the team is anywhere near this far out of the playoffs at this point in the season. I think he deserves some benefit of the doubt here given that being sellers have never really even been on the table before. He explicitly states we won't be buyers, which was expected but confirmation is nice so people don't need to be afraid of a Legwand trade. The way he talks about selling sounds good to me, I don't think it's necessary to just throw a bunch of players away for anything, especially not in this draft. Vanek and Jurco are the ones I expect to go, and I certainly hope Smith does too.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Says that nowadays, the draft is the only way to get an impact defenseman.

Definitely true if you turtle at any trade that would allow you to acquire an impact defenseman. At least he's finally accepting reality. All I ask of him is that he trade whatever assets he can that will help us get impact players during these next two drafts. Hopefully by that point he'll be ready to retire and we can get a youngish GM who is motivated to build around that core we are finally going to acquire through the worst tank job in NHL history. :popcorn:

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Everything he said is everything he should have said. Sorry but assuming you know exactly what he's going to do because of his history is ********. Holland has never been behind the wheel of a non playoff team before. This is completely new.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad