Ken Dryden for Commissioner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HckyFght*

I say we start a groundswell for the league to fire Gary Bettman and hire Ken Dryden for Commissioner! If Ken is unable to serve I nominate David Poille. Who's with me?
-HckyFght!

Go Flames Go*

WHy him he is a bigger peice of **** then Gary Bettman.

HckyFght*

In his book, The Game, Dryden seems like a sensible and intelligent guy, and being a player who has moved over to the ranks of management, I thought he might be a voice of reason, but what the hell do I know? Or are people simply mad at him cuz the Leafs haven't won the Cup yet under his stewardship? Just wondering.

I also like David Poille. He was GM of the Caps in the 80's/early 90's and put together some solid old style hard hitting teams with a very limited budget. If the league wanted to return to what made it so popular back then, he would be a good choice.

Who would you reccommend?
-HckyFght!

HckyFght*

If people object to Dryden simply cuz they hate the Leafs that's simply petty, stupid and wrong. He might be the smartest guy on either side of the divide.
-HckyFght!

copperandblue

Sep 15, 2003
Visit site
HckyFght said:
I also like David Poille. He was GM of the Caps in the 80's/early 90's and put together some solid old style hard hitting teams with a very limited budget. If the league wanted to return to what made it so popular back then, he would be a good choice.

As silly as this may sound, I think it would be a mistake to put a hockey man in charge of the NHL.

Irregardless of any personal opinions people may hold of Bettman, he is simply implimenting the mandate set by the leagues owners. The owners have their own hockey people in the form of their GM's to address the needs of the game.

What the NHL needs is someone who is effective at implimenting the owners mandate. Bettman may not be the man but it seems to me that whoever it is, it needs to be someone with a business and legal background before it needs to be someone with a hockey background.

copperandblue

Sep 15, 2003
Visit site
HckyFght said:
If people object to Dryden simply cuz they hate the Leafs that's simply petty, stupid and wrong. He might be the smartest guy on either side of the divide.
-HckyFght!

Since I objected to him first in this thread....

Dryden, from his time with the Leafs, has been on record as having a screw the little team mentality.

Like it or not, this league has 30 teams and whoever is put in charge first and formost must do everything possible to give all 30 teams the best possible chance to survive. I don't believe that Dryden would be willing to or even want to do that.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
copperandblue said:
Since I objected to him first in this thread....

Dryden, from his time with the Leafs, has been on record as having a screw the little team mentality.

Like it or not, this league has 30 teams and whoever is put in charge first and formost must do everything possible to give all 30 teams the best possible chance to survive. I don't believe that Dryden would be willing to or even want to do that.

Been on record where? saying what?

HckyFght*

copperandblue said:
As silly as this may sound, I think it would be a mistake to put a hockey man in charge of the NHL.

Irregardless of any personal opinions people may hold of Bettman, he is simply implimenting the mandate set by the leagues owners. The owners have their own hockey people in the form of their GM's to address the needs of the game.

What the NHL needs is someone who is effective at implimenting the owners mandate. Bettman may not be the man but it seems to me that whoever it is, it needs to be someone with a business and legal background before it needs to be someone with a hockey background.

I disagree. I think in the post lockout era it will be time for the league to retrench, put the wagons in a circle, get back to basics, and reel in the fans who dropped out during Bettman's Folly, changing the game to attract US network $. Poille is a company man and had to please the cheapest grumpiest owner in the league, Abe Polin. If he can please old Abe he should be able to get a quarum of contemporary owners on his side with regularity.
-HckyFght!

Human Megaphone

Nov 24, 2003
Ottawa
copperandblue said:

I am not a fan of Bettman, but I do agree with what your saying here. How about Brian Burke then? He's Harvard educated, worked at the league, is American (which has seemed to be a factor), but yet still understands hockey in Canada. Personally I would love to see this happen.

Go Flames Go*

Paul Taglibue should be the new commish. He will set thoose ******* players straight.

GOODENOW FEARS TAGLIBUE

Papadice

Apr 29, 2003
Moncton, NB, Canada
www.myfhl.net
HckyFght said:
In his book, The Game, Dryden seems like a sensible and intelligent guy, and being a player who has moved over to the ranks of management
I agree that Dryden is an incredibly intelligent man... But I also agree with others that he would suck as a commish... Last season they interviewed him several times about the state of the game and some of his ideas for fixing it were horrible...

Papadice

Apr 29, 2003
Moncton, NB, Canada
www.myfhl.net
Human Megaphone said:
I am not a fan of Bettman, but I do agree with what your saying here. How about Brian Burke then? He's Harvard educated, worked at the league, is American (which has seemed to be a factor), but yet still understands hockey in Canada. Personally I would love to see this happen.
As much as I respect Burke for his honestness and his hard nosed attitude as a GM, the one thing that would worry me about him being commissioner is that he is just as stubborn as Bettman, if not more... I'm not saying it wouldn't work... It's a rather interesting idea... But I'm not sure that he'd be the best choice (and no, i don't have anyone off of the top of my head that would be better... )

HckyFght*

tgallant said:
I agree that Dryden is an incredibly intelligent man... But I also agree with others that he would suck as a commish... Last season they interviewed him several times about the state of the game and some of his ideas for fixing it were horrible...

Well, if he's for shootouts, no fighting and points for teams that lose, I take back the entire thread!
-HckyFght!

Kickabrat

WHAT - ME WORRY?
Jul 4, 2004
Ottawa
I don't know about Dryden being commissioner BUT I think he is definitely the right guy to get both sides talking again and maybe act as mediator for the following reasons:

1. he is minister and the government should have a vested interest in getting the game on the ice (economic, jobs, keeps the electorate in a better mood)
2. he was a player and worked in management
3. he is a lawyer (don't know if this is actually good or bad)
4. he definitely loves the game

He needs to take it upon himself on behalf of the government to get both sides talking again.

Go Flames Go*

chara said:
Bettman is not the problem. If anyone has to go, its Goodenow.

You seem like very educated person I agree with this 100% but if Bettman had to go Brain Burke is the answer.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
I've followed Dryden's career since he played with the Voyageurs in 71 before his callup. I've seen him described as a-thoughtful,b-intelligent, c-caring,d-aloof,e-cheap,f-honest to a fault,g-stubborn,h-loyal and i-competitive, and definitely an j-independant thinker. I think that most of these traits would disqualify him.

MacDaddy TLC*

Ken Dryden would be a great choice if you never want to see the NHL return. The joke in 1998 was that he decided to fire Mike Murphy as coach of the Leafs in November, but finally finished writing his speech to fire him in July.

BTW, he didn't hire Murphy's replacement until late in the summer, very close to the beginning of training camp.

Point is Dryden does nothing in a hurry.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Before we decide on a new commisioner, shouldnt we decide what we want a commisioner to be? We want to appoint Dryden to be the Owners Commisioner as Goodenow would say? Rightly i think, Bettman is their mouthpiece.

Shouldnt a real Commisioner be singularly regarded as looking out for the best interests of the game? Not the best interests of the owners or players over each other, but what is equally fair to both in looking out for the best interests of the game? Can such a position be created.

No, the best interests of the owners is not the same as the best interests of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad