Ken Dryden - 40 years later

yathehabsrule

Forty years ago today, Ken Dryden made his NHL debut with the Montreal Canadiens.

Over 30 years after his retirement, he is still one of the most prominent voices in the game of hockey. This afternoon he had an online chat to follow up to his recent column in the Globe and Mail.

Links to that and details of his first NHL game can be found here.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
You know I used to read and listen to Dryden like he speaks the gospel for ages but now I respect his viewpoint but also understand that it's just one of many ways of looking at the game.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Excellent goalie and an excellent spokesperson for hockey. If Bettman hadn't recently signed that 5-year deal I would guess Dryden's name would be on the shortlist for next NHL Commissioner.

blogofmike

Dec 16, 2010
If he played for a real team he could have been something.

Sadly for him, his supporting cast seemed to let him down every time.

There's just no depth in that Liberal Party...

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
on the list of most under-rated players in terms of how HF views him.

In my view he is a top 3 goalie of my lifetime and would be hard pressed not to take him if I were starting a team. To me he was just as much a key to the 70's success as any one player on those teams.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
on the list of most under-rated players in terms of how HF views him.

In my view he is a top 3 goalie of my lifetime and would be hard pressed not to take him if I were starting a team. To me he was just as much a key to the 70's success as any one player on those teams.

How did he do against the Russians?

I'd argue that he played behind one of the greatest defences of all time. He is a beloved figure and always the smartest guy in the room, but he isn't one of the greatest goalies.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
How did he do against the Russians?

I'd argue that he played behind one of the greatest defences of all time. He is a beloved figure and always the smartest guy in the room, but he isn't one of the greatest goalies.

How did the Habs do without him when he sat out?

yes, he is one of the greatest goalies I have ever seen

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Wish I could've seen more of this guy. Too young to really remember him. Incredible what he accomplished in an 8 year career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad