Confirmed with Link: Kelly Buchberger named assistant for Laval

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I could be wrong, but I think he coached pittsburgh briefly, or maybe I'm thinking of him wrapping up his playing career there.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
That was probably a direct ask from Houle, going with a guy he knows and is comfortable with. Buchberger will be the ''good cop former player'' on the staff , which he's well qualified for since he had quite a long playing career. He didn't leave the Oilers organisation with the best reputation ever but he's going to be in a very different context in Laval, so I'm willing to give him a chance.

Sam of Montreal

May 5, 2007
Oh God, another nepotism hire? Used to be VP of Oilers player development and ex-teammate of Berge, Richardson, Mellanby and Burke. His WHL team also had garbage stats.

Hope I'm wrong.

I don't see it. I think it was a Houle hire. Mellanby is working with him on that file and he probably had good words also. The fact that the others also played with him is just a testament to a long NHL career and how all of them moved around quite a bit, being established, non-star, NHL players.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Oh God, another nepotism hire? Used to be VP of Oilers player development and ex-teammate of Berge, Richardson, Mellanby and Burke. His WHL team also had garbage stats.

Hope I'm wrong.

Houle most likely asked for him instead of the others suggesting him, they were assistants in the Oilers farm team at the same time for a few years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad