Injury Report: Keller out 4-6 Months with Leg Fracture

LittlePipes

Vortech V7
Feb 22, 2020
This an awful development for mostly Keller, but also for his teammates and the fans. If there is an inkling of a silver lining… a little one…. it looked to me Keller was going full out to score. Sorta a picture of his great season. Thanks for the wonderful hockey moments this season Clayton. May there be many more.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
This happened right in front of me. Awful collision, he was not showing signs of pain when still, but man when they put him on the board it was a different story and the pain looked intense.
Good Lord, I hope he can come back and that it's somehow not as bad as it appeared to be.
When you have a broken bone and you have to move the pain is intense. I know from first hand experience. I just hate when players get hurt. This one looks real bad. Fingers crossed.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I hope the kid is mentally strong. I've known many pro athletes who suffer a serious injury, and afterwards are more hesitant when faced with a similar context upon their return. Keller was getting back in touch with his aggressive side this year after playing perimeter under Tocchet... hopefully this doesn't set him back in his development.

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
Keller is out 4-6 months, according to Coyotes official Twitter. Surgery for leg fracture.
keller.JPG

Reactions: Baby Doaner

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
It could have been a lot worse. After watching that high speed crash, I'm thankful that it wasn't a dislocated hip and fracture, or dislocated knee and fracture.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
First thing in my head when he got put on the cart: okay, next season is 6 months away. Fingers crossed. Hang in there, Kells.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Femur is the best possible outcome. Hip or knee is horrible. But as long as he didnt suffer any arterial damage or nerve damage, you insert titanium rods, take steroids and it'll be 50% stronger than it was before.
If a Schlub like me can be 90% better 6mo later, this kid is gonna be just fine. I got a rod and screws and I’m mostly only bothered in the wee hours of the morning after being motionless too long.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
I do worry whether or not he'll skate with the same level of elusiveness and freedom from a physical and mental standpoint when he returns. That's a big part of his game and been on full display this season.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
If a Schlub like me can be 90% better 6mo later, this kid is gonna be just fine. I got a rod and screws and I’m mostly only bothered in the wee hours of the morning after being motionless too long.

The rod and screws will come out.

They can't leave them there because as you get older the femur shrinks slightly and the rod can literally pop right through the end of the bone.

Also speaking from first hand experience.

And long term he'll be fine. Of all the bones I broke in my accident my femur doesn't bother me at all.

Reactions: Nowotny

Fyreman

Ret FD Batt Chief
Jul 19, 2013
rt, did they use a Hare Traction splint on you? On the FD we used this a lot. Saw many fractures like this, when I saw the replay, I told the wife he broke his femur. The quad muscles contract and pull the femur bone ends grating against each- OUCH!! If the femur didn't splinter, I really think he'll be fine.🤞😬🤞

Last edited:

Fyreman

Ret FD Batt Chief
Jul 19, 2013
The rod and screws will come out.

They can't leave them there because as you get older the femur shrinks slightly and the rod can literally pop right through the end of the bone.

Also speaking from first hand experience.

And long term he'll be fine. Of all the bones I broke in my accident my femur doesn't bother me at all.
Blew my knee out playing HS football, major knee repair, stapled in three places the muscles to take place of the shredded ligaments. Staples started working their way out in a little over 3 years, looked like I had something growing on the inside of my knee. Went back in to surgically remove them. LOL...

Baby Doaner

Mar 14, 2021
I’m thankful it wasn’t worse. I was sick to my stomach after watching that. Great kid and has had an incredible year. He will be ready for the playoff run next year!

On a side note, we will have to sign someone with his cap space going on LTIR, right?

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Blew my knee out playing HS football, major knee repair, stapled in three places the muscles to take place of the shredded ligaments. Staples started working their way out in a little over 3 years, looked like I had something growing on the inside of my knee. Went back in to surgically remove them. LOL...

I had nails in my foot back out on their own a few weeks after leaving the hospital. Same look. Hurt like hell.

rt

May 13, 2004
rt, did they use a Hare Traction splint on you? On the FD we used this a lot. Saw many fractures like this, when I saw the replay, I told the wife he broke his femur. The quad muscles contract and pull the femur bone ends grating against each- OUCH!! If the femur didn't splinter, I really think he'll be fine.🤞😬🤞
They used the arms of one beefy man. Lol. :)

rt

May 13, 2004
Just googled the splint. It would not have worked. I had to have my leg up and bent slightly or it was unbearable even with the fentanyl. The break was way up high, inside my hip. They couldn’t straighten it until after they knocked me out with ketamine.

I still say the worst part of the entire process was the hallucinations I had from the ketamine. The $6500 it set me back hurt too. And then the part where I was stuck in isolation on the COVID floor because I also had COVID (for the 2nd time, despite being vaccinated) - lol.

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
I’m thankful it wasn’t worse. I was sick to my stomach after watching that. Great kid and has had an incredible year. He will be ready for the playoff run next year!

On a side note, we will have to sign someone with his cap space going on LTIR, right?
maybe I don't know the rules, but do they even need to put him on LTIR?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad