Trade: Kelechi Osemele to the Jets

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

He's coming off of a down season but still a smart move for the Jets, especially at that price. Makes sense for the Raiders too since there's really no point in spending that much on good OL when you have Tom Cable there to screw it up regardless.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Osemele is trying to lose so much weight that he effectively wouldn't be able to play football. Just so you guys know.

Raiders Kelechi Osemele posts weight loss video

I haven't been this light since high school. Junior year," Osemele said before walking around his house and flexing for the camera.

He was a borderline Hall of Fame guard I thought. I don't know if someone can play great football at that weight though.

Reactions: m9

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
He was terrible last year and average the year before. I wanted them to cut him so I'm happy with this trade.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Not surprised. He went in for surgery on his labrum on Friday which the team did not approve. Felt he could play through it.

but from his POV, he fully expected the Jets to cut him after this season so putting on more wear and tear on an injured labrum didn’t make any long term sense for him. So he went to get it fixed now.

His contract was fully guaranteed when he made the opening day roster.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
He absolutely did. Team doctors aren't there to make sure you're healthy. They're there to make sure you can play.

I hope the Jets have to answer for this. Their coach is already a nutjob so who knows how deep it goes.

Last edited:

Pestilence

Jan 17, 2016
Köklax, Finland
Just don't see why it's worth it doing this from Jets standpoint, Osemele wasn't starting anymore anyway, and this doesn't really help to lure in more free agents in the spring.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Just don't see why it's worth it doing this from Jets standpoint, Osemele wasn't starting anymore anyway, and this doesn't really help to lure in more free agents in the spring.
It saves them no money. His salary for this season became guaranteed when he made the opening day roster. Paying him whether he’s cut or on IR. Can replace him on the 53 man roster either way.

they simply didn’t like that he opted for surgery versus playing through the pain.

but there’s no benefit to him since the Jets would very likely cut him after the season and he’d be delaying his rehab from surgery into the off season. Hurting his chances of getting signed. I’d do the same in his position.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad