Player Discussion Keith Yandle Part IV (Now with new Poll!)

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I have Yandle worth roughly $6.5m per 6 years. Wade Redden deal. NMC first two years, then limited NTC for four. Pay him more early and less later on.

I think he can get more on the open market, but also wouldn't be surprised if he didn't. He is by far and away the premiere UFA d-man this season. Much of the Rangers scoring flowed through him this season.

24 primary assists in all situations. 5th in the league behind Karlsson, Josi, Krug, and Burns.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
It's just such an open ended question. I'm not voting yet but if it's 6 years I wouldn't go much above $6. 5 years I might go a little more. I just need to see the direction the team is going in. If they plan on having both Staal and Girardi back then consider 1 year of his prime a waste. Do they think they can retool and compete for the next 3 years? Then sure, do it. Are we going to see a team where they're gonna be on the fringe of playoff contention or maybe missing altogether with the roster they put together? Then I pass no matter the price.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Under 5.5? No NMC or maybe a limited NTC? Sure. We could trade him or put him away easily.

Above 5.5 with 6 years and the inevitable movement clause? Yea that's a HUUUUGE pass. Terrible roster management trading for him. Even worse not trading him when we had the chance

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
If the goal is not to contend this year, or possibly even next, it makes no sense to bring back a very good player for 6 years whose best years will be the 2 your team is sucking, and should be trying to maximize the suck.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
If the goal is not to contend this year, or possibly even next, it makes no sense to bring back a very good player for 6 years whose best years will be the 2 your team is sucking, and should be trying to maximize the suck.

Agreed there.

We need a domino to fall this spring and it'll tell a lot about where the team is headed.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Heres my thought process...

1)Yandle makes this team better.

2)I think this team needs to completely tear it down and rebuild.

3)Signing Yandle will likely win us extra games and get us worse draft picks.

4)By the time we are ready to "need" Yandle, he will unlikely be the same player to help us.

5)No to Yandle at any price...the real move woulda been to trade him at the deadline like many of us wanted.

Oh well.

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island

4)By the time we are ready to "need" Yandle, he will unlikely be the same player to help us.

5)No to Yandle at any price...the real move woulda been to trade him at the deadline like many of us wanted.

Oh well.

I agree with all of this

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
Would rather have Skjei take his place next year on an ELC. Very similar style players, I think Skjei's offensive game will develop very nicely

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
Skjei will NEVER come close to Yandle's offense...:laugh:

Trade Staal, re-sign Yandle, and have Skjei replace Staal.

That'd be the best and most ideal way to go.

We don't need Yandle. He's a train wreck in his own end.

Skjei @ $800K > Yandle @ $6.5M for 6 years.. it's not even close

If we didn't already have McD I'd agree with you. Yandle needs massive PP and ES minutes to play at his full potential which he's not going to get here as evidenced by our head coach.

The difference between Skjei and Yandle is not going to win us a cup. We need to replace Yandle with a solid stay-at-home guy that can keep pucks out of our net. Trading his rights at the deadline for anything and freeing up that cap space would be the best way to go

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY

Oh well.

Well put.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY

If we didn't already have McD I'd agree with you. Yandle needs massive PP and ES minutes to play at his full potential which he's not going to get here as evidenced by our head coach.

The difference between Skjei and Yandle is not going to win us a cup. We need to replace Yandle with a solid stay-at-home guy that can keep pucks out of our net. Trading his rights at the deadline for anything and freeing up that cap space would be the best way to go

Let me guess? You're going off one bad series to claim Yandle is a train wreck in his own zone :laugh:

Yandle may be an average defender, but far from a train wreck.

Yandle and Skjei>>>>Staal

As for AV, I think he'll be on a very tight lease this season.

Anyways, I trust Gorton will do the right thing and re-sign Yandle if he absolutely can. He knows the Rangers have no one to replace what Yandle brings to the table.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013

You need a mix. You need guys who, (1) in your zone, can pass or skate the puck out of trouble. You also need guys who, (2) in your zone, can win board battles and clear the crease.

We have a lot of guys who should be in the 2nd category but aren't due to the defensive system we play, and so they look terrible. Yandle, and, to a much lesser extent, McDonagh are the only guys we have capable of being those pass or skate out of trouble guys. Skjei, maybe, but we'll see how he develops. The Rangers have been severely lacking in category one, and it's only magnified when Staals and Girardis are utterly unable to win battles or clear the zone.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Yandle is very much an elite defenseman....i just dont think he helps us one iota in what our bigger plan should be. get young, get better, and build to compete in 2-3..maybe 4 years.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Yandle is very much an elite defenseman....i just dont think he helps us one iota in what our bigger plan should be. get young, get better, and build to compete in 2-3..maybe 4 years.

I agree--entirely. My post was more in response to users who are expecting Skjei to replace everything Yandle brings.

I wouldn't bring back Yandle in this case, especially if we're aiming to rebuild and get younger. But if management's plan is to stay competitive, Yandle is an elite offensive d-man, and we do not have one of those.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I don't think there is a bigger long term plan.

If there was I'd think we would have been able to spot it by now. There was no particular strategic moves that I can really figure out and even when there may have been the player brought in, it was based on their long ago performance.

I think we overestimate what actually goes on. I pretty much believe it's Sather, Gorton, just accepting that a well known player wants to play for the Rangers and them making it happen.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013

You can't ice a team of unsheltered rookies. You become the Oilers.

Even if you're going for a serious re-tool you need to keep good players around

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
You can't ice a team of unsheltered rookies. You become the Oilers.

Even if you're going for a serious re-tool you need to keep good players around

Agreed. Ideally, the Rangers can retool in a couple of years and 32-33 year old Yandle is still a top 4 d-man.

Get Girardi and Staal out of town. Trade Nash for some futures. Resign Yandle.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I asked this before, and didn't get an answer: who's replacing Boyle and Yandle's lost offensive production? If we're keeping AV, he's reliant on offense from the backend. I don't see any of Skjei, McIlrath, Girardi, Staal, and Klein exceeding 30 points. The only defenseman I can rely on for 30+ would be McDonagh.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
I asked this before, and didn't get an answer: who's replacing Boyle and Yandle's lost offensive production? If we're keeping AV, he's reliant on offense from the backend. I don't see any of Skjei, McIlrath, Girardi, Staal, and Klein exceeding 30 points. The only defenseman I can rely on for 30+ would be McDonagh.

Unless they are trying to win the 'Cup next year again, which is naive and downright stupid, why does it matter?

If next year is going to be a year management basically accepts as a loss to re-tool, I hope they lose 50+.

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
If we're keeping G and Staal on the team, there's no point in Yandle being here. We should have gotten assets for him at the deadline instead of spending assets on Eric Staal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad