Keith vs Hjalmarsson defensively

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
An interesting argument arose in a poll on the main board discussing who is the best defenseman in the league defensively, and I thought I would put a thread up on our board to discuss.

Who do you see as better defensively: Keith or Hjalmarsson?

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Based on reading this post I predicted what the main board topic would say and I am 100% not surprised

Unfortunately some people think that being a limited offensive d-man and a very good to elite defensive d-man means you are superior defensively to those are very good to elite at both.

Fortyfives

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2011
Even though Hammer gets the tougher minutes(not longer) I think Keith is. There are countless times in games he does amazing things with his speed and stick.

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
Keith is a better skater and can do a few more things Hammer cannot because of that. Keith uses his stick better along the boards. Hammer is a fearless shot blocker and good along the boards. Hammer is the more classic SAH Dman. Just such different styles.

WJSN

Cosmic
Dec 22, 2013
Hammer is very good but I think Keith is the best defensive defenseman in the league.

RedBaronIndian

Jul 9, 2010
As a Hawk fan, Keith is definitely better than Hjalmarsson defensively. The sheer number of rushes/zone entries that don't even materialize because of his speed/stick/positioning is amazing.

Someone said it before, if you are asking who is the best stay at home defenseman, the answer may very well be Hjalmarsson. If you are asking who the best defenseman is defensively, the answer may very well be Keith.
This post by you on the main board summed up my thoughts abt this perfectly. Love what Hammer brings to the team but the main reason he is used in a more shutdown role than Keith is because Keith has so much more to offer offensively while Hammer is offensively challenged.

WJSN

Cosmic
Dec 22, 2013
I've been watching Keith for 10 years and he continues to amaze me with kinda plays he makes in the defensive zone.

BhQzIVp.gif

helicon1

Jan 4, 2010
Keith is better IMO. I just don't see what Hjalmarsson does better than Keith, shot blocking aside. Keith plays a much less safe game and is more aggressive, so he's going to get burned more of course, but that's to do with style rather than ability. I think there is a case for them being equal in most respects, great sticks and such, but I think Keith's mobility, puck handling, and just general ability to get the puck out (and retain possession) of the d-zone under high pressure just far surpasses Hjalmarsson's ability. 07/08 Keith I'd say was the closest he's been role wise to Hjalmarsson, and he was phenomenal in that role.

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
Good to see that I am not alone in my assessment among those who watch the two the most.

It amazes me how many people on the main board look at Keith's point totals and assume he is an offensive defenseman.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
No matter what metric you look at: shots, goals, scoring chances, fenwick, or corsi; Hjalmarsson allows the fewest opportunities despite much more difficult ice time. Hjalmarsson is probably top 3 in the league defensively, so there's no shame coming in second to that.

EddieOs HairPluggs

Nov 11, 2015
I am one of the biggest Swedish viking fan you can find. But Keith is the best.

Speaks volumes of how far the viking has come just to even have this thread. The viking will always be underrated in my opinion.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Keith is better IMO. I just don't see what Hjalmarsson does better than Keith, shot blocking aside. Keith plays a much less safe game and is more aggressive, so he's going to get burned more of course, but that's to do with style rather than ability. I think there is a case for them being equal in most respects, great sticks and such, but I think Keith's mobility, puck handling, and just general ability to get the puck out (and retain possession) of the d-zone under high pressure just far surpasses Hjalmarsson's ability. 07/08 Keith I'd say was the closest he's been role wise to Hjalmarsson, and he was phenomenal in that role.
Missing the shins in front of him on a blueline shot.:sarcasm:

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I've only been watching hockey since 07-08 and didn't really start to understand the X's and O's of the game until 2010 but watching Keith play in the playoffs in any 3 of our cup runs (especially last year) was the most impressive play I've seen from a dman.

There are few defenseman in the league that can do what he does and no one in the league does it as well as he does.

Keith is the best

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Keith isn't just the better defenseman of the two, he's probably the best Hawks player of the last two decades and a sure fire hall of famer.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
The fact that Hammer is massively underrated on these boards re his defensive acumen doesn't mean he's better defensively than Keith.

I mean, good grief :help:

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
you can argue both are in the Top5.... that's something great.

1 Goal lead, 1:00 to go with a defensiv Zone faceoff, Stanley Cup game 7
1 rested, 1 not.

Who of them do you want on the ice and being the more fresh player?

zac

Apr 29, 2009

If a puck is near the net and needs to be corralled I'd much rather have Hammer going after it than Keith. IMO the two weaknesses in Keith's game are his shot/shot selection (possible the worst on the team) and his propensity for fumbling pucks/clears near his own net. The heavier the traffic, the worse he is at it. Hammer may be a touch better positionally (but he has to be) but Keith's speed/quickness more than makes up for that.

If one is considering all aspects of defense Keith is the superior defenseman. I don't think it's particularly close either. Especially when you factor in Keith's conditioning. Even if it were close, the extra 4-5 minutes a game you can roll with Keith adds tremendous value.

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
you can argue both are in the Top5.... that's something great.

1 Goal lead, 1:00 to go with a defensiv Zone faceoff, Stanley Cup game 7
1 rested, 1 not.

Who of them do you want on the ice and being the more fresh player?

I want them both on the ice as a pair ;)

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
I've loved Hjalmarsson since his first prospects camp and I still love him, but Keith is in his own universe.

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
Hammer was my first (non-goalie) favorite player.
They can't be rated on the same scale though.
DK isn't human. It isn't fair to compare humans to cyborgs.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I've loved Hjalmarsson since his first prospects camp and I still love him, but Keith is in his own universe.

Yep.

Keith (and all Hawk dmen) could take a page out of Hammer's playbook by sometimes making the safe play of clearing the defensive zone with that high flip over everyone's head.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad