Keith Jones doesn't understand how goaltending works

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
Actual quote from NHL Overtime, when comparing Andersen to Crawford:

"Crawford stopped more pucks that he didn't see because he was just more determined."

Anyone know what he was trying to say there, or how that makes any sense?

Mike The Franchise

Sep 22, 2008
Los Angeles
Loll, Jones just embarrassing himself. Playing goalie myself, you just hope your guys clear the crease as often as you can. Being determined and moving your head around to look for the puck on the screen is what shooters look for and attempt to release their shoot when your head is tilted.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Actual quote from NHL Overtime, when comparing Andersen to Crawford:

"Crawford stopped more pucks that he didn't see because he was just more determined."

Anyone know what he was trying to say there, or how that makes any sense?

I probably give Jones more credit than he deserves, but I can at least imagine what he could be meaning. I think he means determination somewhat like confidence. And goalies playing with confidence play shots differently, whether they see them or not. They are more aggressive, don't collapse into themselves as much in the butterfly, and thus take away more of the net. That's especially important with the shots you don't see. So if he meant that, yeah, that was a factor. Although I don't feel it really was a really remarkable thing about the goaltending battle.

And quite likely, he was just combining a couple empty phrases, and that sentence of his isn't deserving of mine or anyone's rationalization.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Now imagine that he's the #1 color commentator for your team.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It's more of that fluff about having "hawht" and "wanting it more" which is fun to say but really has nothing to do with anything.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
It's more of that fluff about having "hawht" and "wanting it more" which is fun to say but really has nothing to do with anything.

I can handle the typical "____ is a better player because they have a cup ring" or "the Hawks just wanted it more", but stopping more shots that you don't see because you're more determined crosses a line for me.

Greasy Sliders

Jun 29, 2012
After Keslers goal the dude on sportsnet said "that's a shot that crawford should have had"

Keslers shot was literally the perfect shot. Nothing crawford could have done.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
After Keslers goal the dude on sportsnet said "that's a shot that crawford should have had"

Keslers shot was literally the perfect shot. Nothing crawford could have done.

To be fair, he made himself small on that play. Even with one leg down, if he stayed straight up, he probably would have stopped it, but no denying that Kesler hit a nearly impossible window there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad