In Memoriam Keith Garman - Bruins team chef

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Don Sweeney said something about it being a tragic accident at the end of his interview Saturday morning but did not elaborate.

Honestly, it really isn't anyone's business unless Keith's family decides to share it.

My heart goes out to his family and friends and to the organization.
terribly sad

Reactions: Ladyfan

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

Reading about Keith I learned a lot about him and what a fascinating individual- I like comedy shows I wish I got to see that side of him

So sad so young

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
From Matt Porter in the Globe:

Several players raved about his perfectly executed chocolate chip cookies. “Wooo,” Connor Clifton said. “You want to go back for seconds, but we’re recording this, so I never do.”

Bergeron, ever attentive to his regimen, referred to them as “recovery cookies, to make us feel better about eating them.” Chef and captain regularly met to check signals, update player preferences, and review menu items.

He made them cookies :heart:

Sounds like all the guys really liked him.

It's just so sad

xjoeyc23x

Apr 1, 2015
good lord, so young, so sad, was he ill?

Usually when the obituaries are worded like his it usually only leads to one conclusion.

None the less RIP, seemed loved by everyone on the team and around him.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
MATT PORTER
October 29 at 2:17 PM ET
Every morning, Jeremy Swayman would walk into the workplace kitchen and engage in a playful shouting match with the guy running it.
“Beauty!” the Bruins goalie would holler.
“Beauty!” Keith Garman would holler back, a bit louder and longer.
They would escalate, back and forth, until the bit sent them toward ridiculous laughter.
“Every morning, Chef would say, ‘How we livin’?’ ” Swayman said. “And I would find a new word. ‘Swimmingly.’ Something fun. That was our thing.”
The Bruins entered the weekend as the hottest team in the NHL (8-1-0), but their mornings have been a lot less fun without their beloved chef.
On Oct. 11, the day before the Bruins’ season opener, Garman was playing in a pickup hockey game when he felt discomfort, left the ice, and collapsed. He died at St. Elizabeth’s Hospital in Brighton. He was 33.

Garman’s father, Phil, of Johnstown, Pa., said his son was found to have an irregular heartbeat, which led to cardiac arrest. The family is waiting for a medical report. The Bruins and Garman’s loved ones attended an Oct. 16 service in Brighton.
Garman, a graduate of Johnson and Wales culinary school, was considered a rising star in the local restaurant scene while at Alden & Harlow in Cambridge. The Bruins offered him his dream job in August 2018, where Garman, a hockey player since age 5, could unite two of his passions.
“He loved cooking for those players, being in that atmosphere, being at the games, you name it,” Phil Garman said. “He was at a stage where professionally, personally, everything was falling into place for him. He was so happy and content, the last couple years in particular.”

In June, Garman purchased his first home, a condo in South Weymouth. He was fixing it up for himself and his girlfriend of two years, Jasmin Palacios of Brighton.
They met online, after the South Texas native came to Boston to earn a master’s in public health at Boston University. She described him as bright, kind, patient, humble, and hard-working; a surprisingly good dancer and singer with an innate sense of rhythm; and a devoted father of two tuxedo cats, Sherlock and Watson.
“I think he was exactly where he wanted to be in his career,” she said. “He was so happy with life in general. It makes it all that much harder.”
She pulled up a text from Aug. 18, at 8:48 p.m. That month, she and Garman’s family rented a vacation home in Rehoboth Beach, Del., and spent two weeks there. They were readying for another hockey season. At that moment, Garman texted her: “I love my life. It’s so good.”

Six days a week, nine months of the year, Garman cooked breakfast and lunch for Bruins players and staff. He prepared take-home meals for several players, including Charlie Coyle, all year long. Garman whipped up post-practice snacks, pregame meals, and late-night dinners. Guided by nutritionist Julie Nicoletti, Garman and assistant chef Mike Schauer fueled a team of high-powered athletes.
In a hockey season that constantly drains their physical and emotional reserves, Garman helped them recharge. His kitchen was a haven for them. The Bruins would connect with Chef Keith, then each other as they readied for the next game.

“If you didn’t know him, he was super quiet and did his thing,” Patrice Bergeron said. “But he opened up. He was funny and laid-back with some good stories. We love what we do, but it’s a stressful job. He had a way of taking that stress away every time we talked. He was a genuine person.”
In stark contrast to previous generations, today’s NHLers are notoriously clean eaters. They are also calorie-incinerating engines. Garman was always ready with a cheat meal.
“I don’t know if I should tell this,” one veteran Bruin said. “When the boys were going out the night before, and might be a little hungover, it was, ‘Just shoot me a text and I’ll have something good for you.’ We’d come in for video and he’d have grilled cheeses for the boys. Nine different cheeses in there, and some tomato soup.”
Several players raved about his perfectly executed chocolate chip cookies. “Wooo,” Connor Clifton said. “You want to go back for seconds, but we’re recording this, so I never do.”
Bergeron, ever attentive to his regimen, referred to them as “recovery cookies, to make us feel better about eating them.” Chef and captain regularly met to check signals, update player preferences, and review menu items.
Jake DeBrusk acknowledged his diet has improved in recent seasons, but he likes his treats. Bruins fans standing behind the glass toss packages of Oreos to him during warm-ups. Not only will he accept, “sometimes I have one before the game,” DeBrusk said. “I offer them to the boys. You’d be surprised — lots of guys dabble in there. It’s a little sugar rush, a little kick.”
Naturally, Garman hooked him up.
“He used to hide the Coca-Colas, so that only I knew where they were, because they were getting rinsed from the team,” DeBrusk said. “So he’d always have a secret stash in case I needed one. Then Pasta [David Pastrnak] found out about the stash, and it got around. It was a good attempt. It got cleaned up.”

Come breakfast time, Garman had DeBrusk’s order ready: “I’d walk in, say hi, same thing. Omelette, ham and cheese. When I wasn’t hot, he’d switch it up and throw different things in there.” Likewise, a flash of a thumbs-up from Matt Grzelcyk had Garman making his favorite omelette: ham, onions, tomato, and spinach, with avocado on the side. Clifton would object to their pickiness, but Garman didn’t mind.
“He’s cooking for 50 people, the whole organization, every day,” Clifton said. “A couple guys don’t want the beautiful buffet he’s just worked all day on. Grizz will get a customized omelette. Sway doesn’t like baked broccoli, so Chef steams some. I’m always on them. ‘Really guys?’ But he never took my side. ‘No, no. That’s why I’m here. I’ll make whatever you want.’ ”
Garman’s skill altered palates and broke hard-wired routines. Clifton needed his game-day chicken, until he tried Garman’s pan-fried salmon. Coyle wasn’t a soup guy, but “some of them tasted like dessert.”
“Top-notch,” Linus Ullmark said. “I do love soup. The variety and quality … phenomenal. Everything was tremendous. You’re so blessed to have food on the table after practice.”
Swayman would grab a bowl and stand behind the counter, often chatting about music (they shared a love for the Red Hot Chili Peppers) and fishing (the Alaskan goalie is an avid angler).
“I loved his butternut squash soup,” Swayman said. “And so he texted me a full-[on] recipe, like four pages long over text — Chef, are you kidding me? I tried [to make it]. It was not good.
“Yeah … I miss him.”
Garman was “the best,” Derek Forbort said. “There were such good vibes in that room. You’d come in after a tough loss, get breakfast, and say ‘what up’ to him. He always had good tunes going. He’ll be missed.”
“He had a smirk to him,” Grzelcyk said. “He got it. He had that sense of humor. He’d listen before he spoke. He always kept it so light.”
“I always enjoyed our mornings,” Ullmark said. “The small things. It’s very sad we won’t have any more fun moments. It reminds you that life is very precious.”
“It’s so tragic and surprising, how it happened,” DeBrusk said. “For him to leave that way was tough. It won’t be the same without him. Life’s life. It can get taken away from you for different reasons. You just try to remember the good times.
“His alfredo sauce was electric. I don’t know if alfredo will ever taste as good.”

Great job by Globe’s Matt Porter

Stunning and wow

Last edited:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
The whole thing is horrible and when I read he was the father of two tuxedo cats - Sherman & Watson I cracked

I have a tuxedo cat (and today is National Cat day) and everytime I walk in that cat comes flying - I think he is flying - to meet me

I know he would be crushed if I didn’t come home

I feel even worse after reading this but glad I did and I got plenty out of it

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
I'm glad the article was written. It shows a man who was very happy in his life. When a 33 year old man dies suddenly without explanation, I think most of us assume it is one of the "deaths of despair" that are unfortunately too common. I think given how much publicity this received from the team, and article like this was important for his memory.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
MATT PORTER
Every morning, Jeremy Swayman would walk into the workplace kitchen and engage in a playful shouting match with the guy running it.
They would escalate, back and forth, until the bit sent them toward ridiculous laughter.
“Every morning, Chef would say, ‘How we livin’?’ ” Swayman said. “And I would find a new word. ‘Swimmingly.’ Something fun. That was our thing.”
The Bruins entered the weekend as the hottest team in the NHL (8-1-0), but their mornings have been a lot less fun without their beloved chef.
On Oct. 11, the day before the Bruins’ season opener, Garman was playing in a pickup hockey game when he felt discomfort, left the ice, and collapsed. He died at St. Elizabeth’s Hospital in Brighton. He was 33.

Garman’s father, Phil, of Johnstown, Pa., said his son was found to have an irregular heartbeat, which led to cardiac arrest. The family is waiting for a medical report. The Bruins and Garman’s loved ones attended an Oct. 16 service in Brighton.
Garman, a graduate of Johnson and Wales culinary school, was considered a rising star in the local restaurant scene while at Alden & Harlow in Cambridge. The Bruins offered him his dream job in August 2018, where Garman, a hockey player since age 5, could unite two of his passions.
“He loved cooking for those players, being in that atmosphere, being at the games, you name it,” Phil Garman said. “He was at a stage where professionally, personally, everything was falling into place for him. He was so happy and content, the last couple years in particular.”

In June, Garman purchased his first home, a condo in South Weymouth. He was fixing it up for himself and his girlfriend of two years, Jasmin Palacios of Brighton.
They met online, after the South Texas native came to Boston to earn a master’s in public health at Boston University. She described him as bright, kind, patient, humble, and hard-working; a surprisingly good dancer and singer with an innate sense of rhythm; and a devoted father of two tuxedo cats, Sherlock and Watson.
“I think he was exactly where he wanted to be in his career,” she said. “He was so happy with life in general. It makes it all that much harder.”
She pulled up a text from Aug. 18, at 8:48 p.m. That month, she and Garman’s family rented a vacation home in Rehoboth Beach, Del., and spent two weeks there. They were readying for another hockey season. At that moment, Garman texted her: “I love my life. It’s so good.”

Six days a week, nine months of the year, Garman cooked breakfast and lunch for Bruins players and staff. He prepared take-home meals for several players, including Charlie Coyle, all year long. Garman whipped up post-practice snacks, pregame meals, and late-night dinners. Guided by nutritionist Julie Nicoletti, Garman and assistant chef Mike Schauer fueled a team of high-powered athletes.
In a hockey season that constantly drains their physical and emotional reserves, Garman helped them recharge. His kitchen was a haven for them. The Bruins would connect with Chef Keith, then each other as they readied for the next game.

“If you didn’t know him, he was super quiet and did his thing,” Patrice Bergeron said. “But he opened up. He was funny and laid-back with some good stories. We love what we do, but it’s a stressful job. He had a way of taking that stress away every time we talked. He was a genuine person.”
In stark contrast to previous generations, today’s NHLers are notoriously clean eaters. They are also calorie-incinerating engines. Garman was always ready with a cheat meal.
“I don’t know if I should tell this,” one veteran Bruin said. “When the boys were going out the night before, and might be a little hungover, it was, ‘Just shoot me a text and I’ll have something good for you.’ We’d come in for video and he’d have grilled cheeses for the boys. Nine different cheeses in there, and some tomato soup.”
Jake DeBrusk acknowledged his diet has improved in recent seasons, but he likes his treats. Bruins fans standing behind the glass toss packages of Oreos to him during warm-ups. Not only will he accept, “sometimes I have one before the game,” DeBrusk said. “I offer them to the boys. You’d be surprised — lots of guys dabble in there. It’s a little sugar rush, a little kick.”
“He used to hide the Coca-Colas, so that only I knew where they were, because they were getting rinsed from the team,” DeBrusk said. “So he’d always have a secret stash in case I needed one. Then Pasta [David Pastrnak] found out about the stash, and it got around. It was a good attempt. It got cleaned up.”

Come breakfast time, Garman had DeBrusk’s order ready: “I’d walk in, say hi, same thing. Omelette, ham and cheese. When I wasn’t hot, he’d switch it up and throw different things in there.” Likewise, a flash of a thumbs-up from Matt Grzelcyk had Garman making his favorite omelette: ham, onions, tomato, and spinach, with avocado on the side. Clifton would object to their pickiness, but Garman didn’t mind.
“He’s cooking for 50 people, the whole organization, every day,” Clifton said. “A couple guys don’t want the beautiful buffet he’s just worked all day on. Grizz will get a customized omelette. Sway doesn’t like baked broccoli, so Chef steams some. I’m always on them. ‘Really guys?’ But he never took my side. ‘No, no. That’s why I’m here. I’ll make whatever you want.’ ”
Garman’s skill altered palates and broke hard-wired routines. Clifton needed his game-day chicken, until he tried Garman’s pan-fried salmon. Coyle wasn’t a soup guy, but “some of them tasted like dessert.”
“Top-notch,” Linus Ullmark said. “I do love soup. The variety and quality … phenomenal. Everything was tremendous. You’re so blessed to have food on the table after practice.”
Swayman would grab a bowl and stand behind the counter, often chatting about music (they shared a love for the Red Hot Chili Peppers) and fishing (the Alaskan goalie is an avid angler).
“I loved his butternut squash soup,” Swayman said. “And so he texted me a full-[on] recipe, like four pages long over text — Chef, are you kidding me? I tried [to make it]. It was not good.
“Yeah … I miss him.”
Garman was “the best,” Derek Forbort said. “There were such good vibes in that room. You’d come in after a tough loss, get breakfast, and say ‘what up’ to him. He always had good tunes going. He’ll be missed.”
“He had a smirk to him,” Grzelcyk said. “He got it. He had that sense of humor. He’d listen before he spoke. He always kept it so light.”
“I always enjoyed our mornings,” Ullmark said. “The small things. It’s very sad we won’t have any more fun moments. It reminds you that life is very precious.”
“It’s so tragic and surprising, how it happened,” DeBrusk said. “For him to leave that way was tough. It won’t be the same without him. Life’s life. It can get taken away from you for different reasons. You just try to remember the good times.
“His alfredo sauce was electric. I don’t know if alfredo will ever taste as good.”

Stunning and wow
Nice read. Thanks for posting

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
My interactions with Keith were minimal but his grilled ham and cheese was perfection.

I think the room has dedicated this season to him......

1667108628864.png

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
terrible, way too young. Another heart attack in a young guy, this has been happening way to often lately

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
MATT PORTER

“Yeah … I miss him.”

Stunning and wow
beautiful, RIP Keith

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I just posted this on the main board

I fully expect I will be torn to shreds from the yahoos in the 416 but I believe Keith's death shook the team and they have bonded over his tragic passing.

Maybe the main board will surprise me :rolleyes:

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
I'm glad the article was written. It shows a man who was very happy in his life. When a 33 year old man dies suddenly without explanation, I think most of us assume it is one of the "deaths of despair" that are unfortunately too common. I think given how much publicity this received from the team, and article like this was important for his memory.
Was not aware of this story until I saw it on the main board from Fenway. Very well said Beesfan. Death is part of life we all know this especially at my age. But 33 is way to young to past away. Guy seem a very good human... and we all know we need those type of human. Sympathy to his parents, girlfriend, family and friends.

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
I just posted this on the main board

I fully expect I will be torn to shreds from the yahoos in the 416 but I believe Keith's death shook the team and they have bonded over his tragic passing.

Maybe the main board will surprise me :rolleyes:
I do beleive their might be a correlation between mr Garmen passing away and Boston incredible opening season ride. Your hypothesis is simply a well known human nature imo. Rip the young man

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad