Injury Report: Keith Ballard (concussion, facial fractures)

SAnuck

Nov 25, 2013
Vancouver Island
Hey Wild fans, how has Ballard been for you this season?

Im a Canucks fan and I really regretted buying him out (I thought he was good enough to be kept as a depth defenceman) and I'm curious how he has been for the wild? I know he was injured for a while but apart from that how has he been

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
In the beginning of the season he was great, played like a top 4 defenseman. Had a few injuries. After that he's been kind of disappointing. Hope he turns it around.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Over handles the puck, resulting in turnovers. I can see why he didn't play much for you.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
He started the season great and was contributing with assists as well. Got injured and now seems to be struggling a bit. It seems that he's having trouble making good decisions in pressure situations (which to be fair, Ballard is not the only Wild player afflicted with this disease right now).

bear1

Mar 3, 2011
In all fairness the whole team is struggling. Suter made a remark about the forwards not coming back deep enough to help out in the defensive zone.

mezcal

Wild Complacency
Feb 19, 2013
CA
Was great early on, got a concussion and has been shaky since. I'm sure he will improve. Good veteran to have around too.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
too small, too inconsistent, looks like a solid LH top4 one night and then the next your wondering how he continues to see ice time, for his price tho i can't complain too much.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
He's a good puck rusher, but this system relies on passes out of the zone. And he's frequently out of position in his end. He doesn't see much PP time which sucks because he's better at that than other guys we have.

And today he's a healthy scratch...

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Like others said. Started season really well. Got injured. Now, clearly trying way too hard. He's been a turnover machine and is out of position a lot. Definitely the weak link in the Wild's blueline.

Not sure if its mental or if his game is just on the decline.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
I like him. Brings more physicality than most guys. Skates faster than most guys. Makes about the same number of mistakes, though.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
In all fairness the whole team is struggling. Suter made a remark about the forwards not coming back deep enough to help out in the defensive zone.

Suter's not wrong. There has been zero neutral zone pressure from the forwards over this little slump allowing opposing forwards to enter the D zone with speed.

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
As a $1.5M defenseman he has looked alright. He is what he is. I don't think anyone in Minnesota was expecting him to be anything great. For a $4.2M or whatever he was making in Van he would look much worse. For what he was making buyout seemed like the prudent move. Although I think he would have been a little better under Tortorella's system. At least more used.

saywut

Jun 11, 2009
We were told he couldn't play the right side, and I think its been pretty clear he's better on the left side, but he really doesn't do anything for the team there. Worse than Scandella and Suter by a large margin, and with ZK now gone and Rupp likely to be a healthy scratch, I'd rather have Stoner on the 3rd pair for toughness and a much more consistent game. I'd imagine he draws back in on our next loss in favor of Prosser, but honestly on the right side neither of them belong in an NHL line-up.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Agreed. Makes you wonder if one of the AHL boys are worth a look.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
Thread bump - Ballard was having a good season for physicality and gamesmanship. Wish him well.

Out of curiousity, he was drafted #11 overall in 2002. His points for that draft class puts him #25 over all at 175, #10 for d'men, after such guys as Keith, Bouwmeester, Wideman, Pitkanen.

Pretty good add for a guy who got bought out.

#7 of that draft class in points is PMB, 356 points.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Heard he's contemplating retiring. That's too bad, but gotta do what's best for your long term health.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I figured his career was over as I watched the scary moment on the ice.

Knowing his history, and seeing those convulsions signifying how severe this one really was... I'd be shocked if he plays another NHL game... unfortunately. :(

iLLogik87

Jan 5, 2015
Antarctica
I was at the game he got injured. About ten rows up from the penalty box so I could see him laying on the ice from across the rink. He was seizing and convulsing...I knew then his career was most likely over. Sad to hear this news that it probably is over. I agree with him that being a healthy dad to his kids is more important than continuing his hockey career. I will miss his hip check. One of the best hip check's in the game today.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad