LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
Last edited by a moderator:

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
So just sending him down to utica. Free's up cap space for free agency

If I were a team needing help on D I would claim him. NYI?

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
I guess the idea is to put him on waivers first to see if anyone picks him up - then if there is no action, try unconditional waivers and a buyout?

Dado

Salary in the minors still (mostly) counts against cap.

CBO period ends in three days. If someone doesn't claim him, and we want to buy him out, do we have to bring him up from conventional waivers and then put him back on CBO waivers?

BerSTUzzi

Jan 24, 2006
Kamloops
So just sending him down to utica. Free's up cap space for free agency

If I were a team needing help on D I would claim him. NYI?

In the new CBA you cannot hide contracts in the minors. I believe they are only allowed to save $900,000 from his contract (that part I'm not 100% sure on, first part I am).

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
I thought you were no longer allowed to bury bad contracts in the minors under the new CBA?

Yeah that's not an option anymore.

I guess the idea is to put him on waivers first to see if anyone picks him up - then if there is no action, try unconditional waivers and a buyout?

I should hope so; if not, we're in a whole world of hurt with respect to the cap.

LolClarkson*

Salary in the minors still (mostly) counts against cap.

CBO period ends in three days. If someone doesn't claim him, and we want to buy him out, do we have to bring him up from conventional waivers and then put him back on CBO waivers?

Yeah. So why not see if he gets picked up? He's too good for the minors.

Who won that Ballard trade?

Dado

Conventional waivers is 24 hours. Re-entry waivers is gone, right? Buyout waivers is 48 hours. It seems like there is still time to buy him out, if we choose to.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Couldn't even garner a pick.

I guess this is one way to see if they can get rid of his salary outright.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
Good bye Ballard. Wish you all the best after you're bought out.

EDIT: Misread OP. Well, maybe there's still hope we buy him out.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
He is on regular waivers. Gillis did this to see if any team will claim him for free. If he isn't claimed by tomorrow 12pm est gillis will then have up until July 4th I believe to decide whether he will place Ballard on unconditional waivers for a buy out or not.

Unconditional waivers is the same 24 hour period where a team can claim him.

If the canucks choose to just demote Ballard at seasons beginning, 900k from his 4.2M cap hit is going to be taken off of our cap. So we would still be hit with a 3.3M penalty for having Ballard in the minors

canucksfan100

Apr 3, 2007
I don't think Ballard will be bought out. Same reason why We wouldnt retain some of Luongo's salary or consider buying him out. The Aquillini's are cheap and dont want to lose or waste money as show by the ticket price increase, Retiring Bure's Jersey(They'll make a ton $$ off Merch and stuff)

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Who knows, maybe some GM told Gillis they'd claim him if put on waivers? I guess the good news is that it appears that Ballard is not in the Canucks' plans for next season.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I don't think Ballard will be bought out. Same reason why We wouldnt retain some of Luongo's salary or consider buying him out. The Aquillini's are cheap and dont want to lose or waste money as show by the ticket price increase, Retiring Bure's Jersey(They'll make a ton $$ off Merch and stuff)

Well they are not cheap, we spend more then any other team every year to the cap, they pay for luxuries other players dont have.

They are just cheap when it comes to buyout money, someone i think kuzma claimed they are cheap as in, they dont want to waste a penny, and i think they view buyouts as throwing money away for nothing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad