Keeper Help Thread

Cappayne

Mar 20, 2011
With the news of the lockout coming to an end, I would think many people are in a similar situation as me, where they need to pick keepers ASAP.

Anyone can feel free to post in this thread looking for help if they don't want to flood the main page.

As for my situation:

10 team league
Head to head: G, A, +/-, Shots, PPP, Wins, GAA, SV%

Keep 4 of:

Erik Karlsson - 100% keeping
Anze Kopitar - Has a ~2 week injury apparently, not sure how serious it is. In a shortened season, could be an issue. But it's Kopitar...
Marian Hossa - Most likely keeping
Henrik Zetterberg
Jamie Benn - Really like him, he's improving every year.

Pekka Rinne - I don't know how Nashville is supposed to do this season, but I really want to keep a goalie.
Jonathan Quick - Same as before, apparently is injured. Not sure who I like better of the 2 goalies going into the season

Cappayne

Mar 20, 2011
I like those 4. The others in my league are high on Benn, so I doubt I could get him at 10 in the draft (I won last year).

mrzeigler

.. but I'm not wrong
Sep 30, 2006
Pittsburgh
I just renewed my Yahoo league and I'm pleased with my top options for my four keepers:

Malkin
Quick
Gaborik
Neal
Karlsson
Seguin
Parise
Kopitar
Backes (league has FW, hits, blocks and PIMs, Backes is one of those valuable multi-stat guys)

Malkin and Quick are locks.

Neal, with his goals, linemates and prominence on the powerplay (as well as good PIMS and hits) is 99 percent a lock.

I'm thinking of dangling Karlsson in a predraft trade to someone with weak keepers. If I could get a 3rd-round pick for him, I'd be happy. If I didn't have so many strong power play candidates to pick from, he'd get a lot more consideration, but if I start with three PP juggernauts, then I could take the approach of relying on my dmen for all of my blue-collar stats.

So, really, I'm pretty set with Malkin, Quick and Neal and one of the following four as my final keeper. If these three were available in your draft, which order would you pick them?

* Kopitar (tough to part with, since I've had him ever since drafting him in the final round of his rookie year and he is a solid 2nd C behind Malkin)
* Parise (somewhat tough to part with, since I traded Ryan Miller heads up for him early last year and I want to have bragging rights for winning that trade, but it's tough for me to get an handle on what to expect of him in Minnesota)
* Seguin (somewhat tough to part with, since I traded a few of the league's up-and-coming young guns to guarantee a 1st-place win last year and I hung on to Seguin because I thought him the most valuable in the short- to mid-term)
* Gaborik (somewhat tough to part with, since he was healthy last year and put up 41 goals and 21 PPP and gets Rick Nash as a linemate this year; however he's the anti-Backes when it comes to non-offensive stats)

jokerboysmith

May 5, 2003
Planet Nebula
Visit site
With the news of the lockout coming to an end, I would think many people are in a similar situation as me, where they need to pick keepers ASAP.

Anyone can feel free to post in this thread looking for help if they don't want to flood the main page.

As for my situation:

10 team league

Keep 4 of:

Anze Kopitar - Has a ~2 week injury apparently, not sure how serious it is. In a shortened season, could be an issue. But it's Kopitar...
Henrik Zetterberg

Pekka Rinne - I don't know how Nashville is supposed to do this season, but I really want to keep a goalie.
Jonathan Quick - Same as before, apparently is injured. Not sure who I like better of the 2 goalies going into the season

I like;
Quick, Karlsson, Kopitar and Benn.
Tough to give up Zetterberg but perhaps don't keep a goalie.

jokerboysmith

May 5, 2003
Planet Nebula
Visit site
I just renewed my Yahoo league and I'm pleased with my top options for my four keepers:

Malkin
Quick
Gaborik
Neal
Karlsson
Seguin
Parise
Kopitar
Backes (league has FW, hits, blocks and PIMs, Backes is one of those valuable multi-stat guys)

Malkin and Quick are locks.

Neal, with his goals, linemates and prominence on the powerplay (as well as good PIMS and hits) is 99 percent a lock.

I'm thinking of dangling Karlsson in a predraft trade to someone with weak keepers. If I could get a 3rd-round pick for him, I'd be happy. If I didn't have so many strong power play candidates to pick from, he'd get a lot more consideration, but if I start with three PP juggernauts, then I could take the approach of relying on my dmen for all of my blue-collar stats.

So, really, I'm pretty set with Malkin, Quick and Neal and one of the following four as my final keeper. If these three were available in your draft, which order would you pick them?

* Kopitar (tough to part with, since I've had him ever since drafting him in the final round of his rookie year and he is a solid 2nd C behind Malkin)
* Parise (somewhat tough to part with, since I traded Ryan Miller heads up for him early last year and I want to have bragging rights for winning that trade, but it's tough for me to get an handle on what to expect of him in Minnesota)
* Seguin (somewhat tough to part with, since I traded a few of the league's up-and-coming young guns to guarantee a 1st-place win last year and I hung on to Seguin because I thought him the most valuable in the short- to mid-term)
* Gaborik (somewhat tough to part with, since he was healthy last year and put up 41 goals and 21 PPP and gets Rick Nash as a linemate this year; however he's the anti-Backes when it comes to non-offensive stats)

Quick, Malkin, Neal, Parise

mrzeigler

.. but I'm not wrong
Sep 30, 2006
Pittsburgh
Backes or Benn for the next 2 years?

G, A, +/-, shots, hits, PM, PPP, GWG

thinking of keeping Backes

How savvy are the other GMs in your league? If you don't have fanatical GMs (or anyone whose a fan of the Blues) who appreciate the across-the-boards value of Backes, I think you have a better shot at being able to redraft him instead of Benn. Of course, Benn's contract status (he's an unsigned RFA, but surely he's Dallas' top priority at the moment) — if he's unsigned at the time of your draft and IF contract talks aren't going well — and and if he loses even a week of this compressed season due to contract issues, then his value decreases.

One missed week this year will amount to not having a guy for 6.25 (if Stars play three games that first week) to 8.33 percent (if they play 4 games) of the season.

In this shortened season, player availability is even more important.

Wallachia

Feb 8, 2010
OP- Karlsson, Kopitar, Benn, Quick

mrzeigler- Kopitar-->(Backes)-->Gaborik-->Parise--->Seguin

BERTUZZZZi-Backes for me easily

My dilemma-- Keeping Giroux, Toews and Petro.. Need to pick 2 of the following (normal Yahoo stats)

Lou Eriksson
TJ Oshie
Duncan Keith
Derek Stepan
OEL
Berglund
Fleishmann

Thinking Eriksson and Oshie although OEL might be a decent keep too

Wallachia

Feb 8, 2010
How savvy are the other GMs in your league? If you don't have fanatical GMs (or anyone whose a fan of the Blues) who appreciate the across-the-boards value of Backes, I think you have a better shot at being able to redraft him instead of Benn. Of course, Benn's contract status (he's an unsigned RFA, but surely he's Dallas' top priority at the moment) — if he's unsigned at the time of your draft and IF contract talks aren't going well — and and if he loses even a week of this compressed season due to contract issues, then his value decreases.

One missed week this year will amount to not having a guy for 6.25 (if Stars play three games that first week) to 8.33 percent (if they play 4 games) of the season.

In this shortened season, player availability is even more important.

I understand your reasoning for the Backes argument but I don't think Backes is as underrated as he was going into last year with the Blues recent success. In Yahoo league's he's an average 40.8 pick, while Benn is a 76.6. Backes is probably the most sought after guy for hits and PIMs. He also led the league the year before last in +/- for forwards I believe. I'd take him over Benn pretty easily.

Off Winging It

Jan 7, 2013
Great board. New poster, but frequent visitor.
Very excited we got a hockey season.

Need to name 4 keepers. Typical Yahoo league. Start 2 of C, LW, RW, 4DE, 2G

Below are the players that I would consider keeping:

Ovie
Backstrom (wash)
Nash
Pavelski
Wheeler
Eberle
Briere
Simmonds
Couture
J.Benn
Oshie
R.Miller
C.Ward

I have 2nd pick in draft.

I lean to ovie, back, nash, eberle but not opposed to miller or cam instead of eberle or back.

Thx for input.

King Henrique

¡ɹǝʌo s,ʇı ¡ǝnbıɹuǝɥ
Jan 8, 2010
NJ
Ovie
Backstrom (wash)
Nash
Pavelski
Wheeler
Eberle
Briere
Simmonds
Couture
J.Benn
Oshie
R.Miller
C.Ward

I have 2nd pick in draft.

I lean to ovie, back, nash, eberle but not opposed to miller or cam instead of eberle or back.

Thx for input.

I would pick Ovie, Backstrom, Nash, and Eberle/Benn.

Help with mine?

Categories are Goals, Assists, +/-, Penalty Minutes, Powerplay Points, Shorthanded Points, GWG, Faceoffs Won, Hits, Blocks

Pick 4:

Alex Ovechkin
James Neal
Rick Nash
Dustin Byfuglien
Loui Eriksson
RNH
P.K. Subban
Alex Edler
Pavel Datsyuk
Tobias Enstrom
Paul Stastny

Cappayne

Mar 20, 2011

Help with mine?

Categories are Goals, Assists, +/-, Penalty Minutes, Powerplay Points, Shorthanded Points, GWG, Faceoffs Won, Hits, Blocks

Pick 4:

Alex Ovechkin
James Neal
Rick Nash
Dustin Byfuglien
Loui Eriksson
RNH
P.K. Subban
Alex Edler
Pavel Datsyuk
Tobias Enstrom
Paul Stastny

Ovechkin and Datsyuk should be locks to keep. How many years can you hold onto a player for? Because if 4+ years, RNH can be a great player to hold on to. But there are a lot of categories you need to address, so you may know more about those defensemen in terms of hits and blocked shots.

Off Winging It

Jan 7, 2013

Help with mine?

Pick 4:

Alex Ovechkin
James Neal
Rick Nash
Dustin Byfuglien
Loui Eriksson
RNH
P.K. Subban
Alex Edler
Pavel Datsyuk
Tobias Enstrom
Paul Stastny

i lean to ovie neal nash datsy
thx

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010

As for my situation:

10 team league

Keep 4 of:

Henrik Zetterberg

Karlsson, Kopitar, Rinne, Quick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad