Keegan Kanzig, 3rd Round, 67th Overall

MC Ride

Feels bad man
Feb 4, 2009
Love this pick, even at 67. The guys massive and I can easily see him playing a shut down bottom line role. If we can teach him how to skate, he'll definitely be a force.

Rockmorton

Oct 26, 2011
That's the biggest knock against him is his skating. Does anyone know how his other attributes are? Is skating his only weakness?

MC Ride

Feels bad man
Feb 4, 2009
That's the biggest knock against him is his skating. Does anyone know how his other attributes are? Is skating his only weakness?

To be honest, the only positive things I've heard about him are his size and toughness. I'm hoping all his other attributes are at least average.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I'm hoping he doesn't become like Nemisz, but rather he improves in the skating department. Kanzig would be dangerous if he had some wheels.

Reinhart

Jun 13, 2011
To be honest, the only positive things I've heard about him are his size and toughness. I'm hoping all his other attributes are at least average.

Intelligence and leadership are both very high according to Todd Button. His intelligence was apparently the second thing they noticed after his size.

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB
By intelligence, they mean he can be a serial killer for eight years and nobody except James Doakes would suspect him of killing people, right? Seriously, Kanzig makes Dexter look like a completely normal guy!

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Watched him a bunch in Victoria. Yeah, he's big and yeah he can beat up teenagers, but his footspeed leaves something to be desired, and his puck-skills and offensive ability is poor. Feel like he would've been a better pick in the 5th and onwards.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

His offensive game simply isn't there. His skating is a weak point but he plays like Hal Gill.

Seeing how well Breen has learnt how to skating I can see why Feaster and co are willing to gamble on Kanzig. If he can improve his skating like Breen has he could be our version of Grossmann.

He would be a great #4/#5 defenseman.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
His offensive game simply isn't there. His skating is a weak point but he plays like Hal Gill.

Seeing how well Breen has learnt how to skating I can see why Feaster and co are willing to gamble on Kanzig. If he can improve his skating like Breen has he could be our version of Grossmann.

He would be a great #4/#5 defenseman.
When Breen was signed as an undrafted UFA he was already considered a good skater.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Source I remember it differently.
you think 3 years later we will find a source about the signing of an undrafted CHL player? Good luck with that. :laugh: The only article I found about the signing was a Flames Nation/Kent Wilson piece where he says Breen has need future because he went undrafted despite admittedly not even reading a scouting report on him :laugh:

but I made the assumption there was a discussion here about the signing and no links about it, just a couple people commenting on his skating ability.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=781640&highlight=breen

If you're basing this on his PIMs, then you've never seen him play. He couldn't rack them up because other players were simply scared to mess with him in the O. He does skate like a smaller player though, smooth for his size.
Likely never an NHL player, but a nice addition to the prospect pool.

Such a smooth skater.

and it appears neither were Flames fans.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
you think 3 years later we will find a source about the signing of an undrafted CHL player? Good luck with that. :laugh: The only article I found about the signing was a Flames Nation/Kent Wilson piece where he says Breen has need future because he went undrafted despite admittedly not even reading a scouting report on him :laugh:

but I made the assumption there was a discussion here about the signing and no links about it, just a couple people commenting on his skating ability.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=781640&highlight=breen

and it appears neither were Flames fans.

I remember his first year he had a real hard time keeping up with the play and was rather slow looking.

Lets just say if he can improve his skating he will be a valuable player.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I remember his first year he had a real hard time keeping up with the play and was rather slow looking.

Lets just say if he can improve his skating he will be a valuable player.
Improving skating is never a bad thing.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Agreed, he can't improve his skating he will be a #7 tough guy (aka John Scott) if improves his skating a little he will be a poor mans Hal Gill, if he improves his skating a lot he will be a poor mans Grossmann.
I wish I had Shaw for a cable provider so I could have had the chance to catch some Royals games next season as apart of their WHL coverage. I would love to see how he plays the angles and such.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Agreed, he can't improve his skating he will be a #7 tough guy (aka John Scott) if improves his skating a little he will be a poor mans Hal Gill, if he improves his skating a lot he will be a poor mans Grossmann.

Poor kid.
Just a poor man's everything at best lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad