Post-Game Talk: Keefe Throws Game, Leafs Lose 4-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
willy didnt have it last night i didnt even see him get anywhere close to top speed on offense
Yep - clearly Tampa's game plan was targeting him, often with two men, so he couldn't get going. Despite that the underlying numbers say he was our second-best forward. Scary.

Reactions: arso40

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Meh... leafs have been excellent since Marner has been out. Even this game the shots were 29 to 26 in favor of the Leafs.

Both goalies made a couple 10 bell saves. Just breakdowns on Defense that led to stupid chances that Woll can't be blamed for.

Would Marner move the needle more than a #1 defenseman? I'd say certainly not. Playoff Marner is the worst offender for giving away the puck for odd man rushes against. Having Marner wouldn't have suddenly changed the shot totals to 20-30 in favor for Toronto. He never does.

This team would be Stanley Cup caliber with say Fox instead of Marner right now. Of course and an NHL coach.

since 2019

matthews 1 goal against every 29 minutes
marner 1 goal against every 28.2 minutes

point 29.9( but with the best goalies of the world behind him)
mackinnon 1 goal every 25.7 game
bergeron 1 goal every23.3 min
barkov 1 goal every 19.8 min
mcdavid 1 goal every 15.6 min
nylander 1 goal every 15.7 min

We can talk about marner/matthews who didn't produce enough offensively but no body can talk about their defensive game or number or turnover they create or those part of the game.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
When the coach treats the game as an experiment against one of the hottest teams in the league, the end result was not surprising.

I really hope that Keefe tries to find consistency with the lineup deployment going into the playoffs, but I won't hold my breath.

Captain34

Sep 18, 2019
The only more infuriating thing about watching the Leafs play last night, including Keefe's stupid decision to play the 4th line against Kucherov, was having to watch and listen to Jen Botterill. She is absolutely awful and should not be involved in any NHL broadcasts. I cannot believe there isn't anyone better than she is for the role.

Before someone accuses me of being sexist, I think Cheryl Pounder is one of the best and always enjoy listening to her. I also enjoy Caroline Cameron hosting the panel.

sittler rules!!!

Feb 9, 2004
This team is going nowhere. Absolutely nowhere. They'll be out in 5 at the most in the 1st round.

There's tons of reasons why I think that. But galaxy brain Tommy Boy behind the bench is the biggest reason.
But at least he has their respect

When the coach treats the game as an experiment against one of the hottest teams in the league, the end result was not surprising.

I really hope that Keefe tries to find consistency with the lineup deployment going into the playoffs, but I won't hold my breath.
Time to pull a Lamarello and fire Keefe now

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
The only more infuriating thing about watching the Leafs play last night, including Keefe's stupid decision to play the 4th line against Kucherov, was having to watch and listen to Jen Botterill. She is absolutely awful and should not be involved in any NHL broadcasts. I cannot believe there isn't anyone better than she is for the role.

Before someone accuses me of being sexist, I think Cheryl Pounder is one of the best and always enjoy listening to her. I also enjoy Caroline Cameron hosting the panel.

Caroline Cameron is insufferable. I agree with you though on Botterill, she should stick to commentating on the womans game.

• Wow
Reactions: arso40 and TMLife17

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I am perfectly fine not having home ice advantage. It's such an odd thing to get caught up on. Being able to start on the road and have the opportunity to steal games in other teams rinks is an incredible opportunity.
Very true, and Keefe doesn't even use last change to his advantage so I don't think it will be as big of a factor as it is in most cases.

Reactions: GrizzLeaf

pdson

Apr 14, 2014
That was a big win for Tampa, moves them within 4 points of us. Imagine we get bounced from the top 3 into a wild card spot heading into the playoffs. Either way, facing Florida or Rangers I think we’re screwed…
In order for us to play the Rangers Boston would have to pass them and i don't see that happening.

Reactions: Ports

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
He did the same thing when Florida had the goalie pulled when it was 5-3, I have no clue wtf he's thinking. Maybe he's trying to get the 4th line some tough reps before playoffs start ? Like there will be situations where those guys are forced to defend against the oppositions top line, so maybe it's a teaching moment and to give the guys some experience ?
I think this is exactly what it is. He's trying to put some of these guys in spots they will inevitably end up in during playoff games.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
What I appreciate most about Keefe is his consistency.

Consistently incompetent in line matching

Consistently the 2nd best coach in the game.

Consistently screwing with our young players heads.

Consistently putting together lines base on paycheques vs how player talents fit.

Consistently Cooper’s b*tch.

In this ever changing world that we live in, Keefe’s consistency stands out.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
This feels just like last year. Detroit ain't making up 13 points in 7 games so it almost doesn't matter how the Leafs finish out. It'll be Bruins, Florida, Rangers, whatever. I'd mail it in too with almost nothing to play for (home ice looks like a pipe dream too).

Reactions: ToneDog

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto

Jennifer Boyissheshrill is the reason the Mute button is such a great thing.

Unwatchable and irrelevant.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Playing the 4th line against one of the best lines in the league on a defensive zone face off is the definition of a Pee-Wee mistake.
It is clear that Keefe is building trust with his team. It is a team after all and he can't play Matthews 28 minutes a game.

I am generally pessimistic and I won't ever fully buy in to this core. With a couple of key regs still out, I am seeing some positive play by depth players that may pay dividends come playoffs.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
It is clear that Keefe is building trust with his team. It is a team after all and he can't play Matthews 28 minutes a game.

I am generally pessimistic and I won't ever fully buy in to this core. With a couple of key regs still out, I am seeing some positive play by depth players that may pay dividends come playoffs.

I agreed but why is he doing that in game 74? That’s my issue with Keefe, he does this stuff at the wrong time. You should be leaning on your young guys/fourth line early in the season so they can make those mistakes then. Now down at the stretch where we have statement games is the wrong time to be seeing who can hang against top lines

What I appreciate most about Keefe is his consistency.

Consistently incompetent in line matching

Consistently the 2nd best coach in the game.

Consistently screwing with our young players heads.

Consistently putting together lines base on paycheques vs how player talents fit.

Consistently Cooper’s b*tch.

In this ever changing world that we live in, Keefe’s consistency stands out.

Keefe is the worst coach with last change. How do you look at Kucherov and go, yep I’m gonna throw Ryan Reaves out there. It’s idiotic

NJG

Jun 27, 2015
You can’t expect a young goalie to get 1 start every 5/6 games and be at the top of his game.
Samsonov is a great goalie one period and lets in 3 softies the next.
Goaltending will sink this team once again. Doesn’t matter if matthews gets 90 goals goalies have been our Achilles heel.
If we get this goaltending by Samsonov and Woll in the playoffs we are one and done again.
Um, what are you talking about? Since Samsonov was recalled from the AHL he's played the best he has in a maple leafs jersey and he hasn't been the problem at all. The defence is what is going to sink this team, not the goaltending.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
He has been dragged down with Tavares' less than stellar play over the past few games as well. Willie can only do so much, and McMann is bound to have games where he can't find a way to be productive. My only hope, is that in games like that they continue to be defensively aware and strong.

There are much bigger things at play than a Wednesday night game in early April vs Tampa. Keefe knows he is toast if he can't find a way to get his team to at least round two... so sure, you want to win, but win what? Playoff series are font of mind this time of year for him I would think.
While I agree I dont like Willy and Johnny together, Willy dangling at the blue line lately while last man back has nothing to do with Keefe or Tavares. Last night Willy got hit a few times and he faded into the background. A mean nothing game but still not a great look.

I think you are giving Keefe too much credit. I honestly dont think he thinks the game that deeply.

Way too much pitching about a game that doesn't really matter, and we got out goalied like crazy.

Woll constantly letting in the 1st shot on goal has to be super deflating.
There have been many many odd man rushes against lately as well.

Reactions: wingman75

NJG

Jun 27, 2015
Yep - clearly Tampa's game plan was targeting him, often with two men, so he couldn't get going. Despite that the underlying numbers say he was our second-best forward. Scary.
Another reason why Keefe is a bad coach. He should have realized that and put him with Matthews and the problem would have been solved, They can't put two guys on Nylander and Matthews. You want to put two guys on Nylander cool, but now you're leaving more space for Matthews and Domi/Bertuzzi.

Reactions: arso40

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Scary that people put any legitimacy into those numbers. There isn't a person alive who watched that game and would say Nylander was the 2nd best forward.

Blanka

Mar 27, 2013
Keefe is Keefe.

Reaves, Matthews and Benoit are the only ones to show up tonight.

Reading a Bolts thread is a what’s what of - tell me you know nothing about hockey, without telling me you know nothing about hockey.

Woll is more of a fence than anything.
Like Florida, their "fanbase" is two bad seasons away from $10, 5th row, center ice and "$5 all-you-can-eat hot dog" Mondays.

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
Like Florida, their "fanbase" is two bad seasons away from $10, 5th row, center ice and "$5 all-you-can-eat hot dog" Mondays.
Yup, and yelling at refs to call more “fouls”.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Brilliant, lets fire the coach 2 weeks before playoffs start.

Can you imagine having a team that has the makeup to win but loses in the first round again due to coaching issues. These are Coaching issues that many people have brought up consistently since the mtl series.

No question if there is no conference final Shanahan and Keefe should be on the street.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad