Line Combos: Keefe juggling again

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Do it during the regular season while you can. It also keeps players fresh with new challenges instead of feeling mentally stunted and too comfortable.

Once playoffs begin (if they qualify), run with what is most efficient, especially in the backend and players will be better prepared to meet the challenge the opposition puts forth (one hopes).

It also allows for players being familiar with each others tendencies on different lines if injuries or trades occur.

Reactions: Apex Predator

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Good. We need to be playing all of them on different lines and with different players come playoff time.

All of the time is bad...occasionally is good.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
It's not as if Matthews, Marner and Ritchie were given much of a chance to develop any cohesion. Matthews was just coming off an extended absence with no training camp, Marner was struggling, and they only played 3 games together.

Now is a good time to try it again. Marner and Ritchie have both played better since the beginning of the season, and Matthews is starting to regain regular season form.

If it doesn't work, Keefe can always go back to the previous lines.

Last edited:

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Getting Ritchie going for us would be huge, and would give him quite a bit of confidence... I'm skeptical, but we'll see.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Willy and Kerfoot work well together so da only one who will struggle to keep up is JT .. look for JT to get orphaned again on that line

Matty and Mitch will struggle again together .. not a good fit due to speed .. 2 different guys who skate at different speeds

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Getting Ritchie going for us would be huge, and would give him quite a bit of confidence... I'm skeptical, but we'll see.

I didn't have a lot of confidence in him to be able to keep up with those guys in the pre-season, Ritchie has shown me that nothing has changed

If a player is going to be last back on the majority of transitions, than at least he has to be first in on the forecheck on a majority of rushes

I really hope something changes for him, because he has to start having some kind of a positive impact on the game in some area, real soon!

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Willy and Kerfoot work well together so da only one who will struggle to keep up is JT .. look for JT to get orphaned again on that line

Matty and Mitch will struggle again together .. not a good fit due to speed .. 2 different guys who skate at different speeds

Last year would suggest otherwise. One was the Rocket Richard winner and the other a 1st team All Star.
That being said I liked JTs game a lot with MM. 8-1 since the change.

Wierd timing IMO

Reactions: studebaker17

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Ritchie had 3 goals, in 3 games in the Pre-Season... Ok, just the Pre-Season, but at least he's getting a chance....

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Just weird timing for me. Don’t understand why Keefe didn’t do it in game with a good lead and see how it goes.

Reactions: The Iceman

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Last year would suggest otherwise. One was the Rocket Richard winner and the other a 1st team All Star.
That being said I liked JTs game a lot with MM. 8-1 since the change.

Wierd timing IMO

I agree that the timing is odd.

That said, it appears that Keefe doesn't want complacency to set in, win or lose. Mix lines up, alter ice time and maintain a high level of competition and cohesion.

Players in and out, up and down from the AHL, different lines. It worked last year in the regular season and they won the division.

I am also noticing subtle decisions by some players that suggests to me they are learning to be more comfortable with tight games, patience and less space.

This will bode well for them if they learn the lesson.

Reactions: The Iceman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad