Confirmed with Link: Keaton Middleton (D) Signed by Colorado to a 2 year entry-level contract

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Feels like we are going to move some of our better prospects in the AHL and just want to make sure we have enough warm bodies?? :dunno:

I'll be surprised if Kaut doesn't get moved, personally.
If they trade Kaut now without giving him a try it would be so dumb.

What we need to do with our prospects is give them exposure to build their value then trade them if needed. We have the perfect team to do that were a kid can be plugged in and look good in a support role and then sold “high”.

Reactions: Richard88

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Feels like we are going to move some of our better prospects in the AHL and just want to make sure we have enough warm bodies?? :dunno:

If Seattle take Donskoi in the expansion draft - which is a legit possibility given how much he's producing this year, then Kaut would be the perfect replacement.

I'd say that Timmins or Bowers are more likely to be traded if one of our high end B prospects get moved. Bowers has less value to the Avs if he's going to be a LW rather than a C which looks likely to be the case.

Reactions: MarkT

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

I wouldn't be surprised if the Avs make some moves with their prospects... not a ton of room on the roster and some still have solid value to return what the Avs need. If you can parlay Timmins/Kaut/Bowers + 3rd into a good backup goalie that is here a few seasons, to me that is a solid move.

Now with these moves, the Avs tend to do these in bunches and announce them that way. With no official announcement, they don't seem to be done and are organizing a bit for next year. If you look at the defense in Loveland in particular, it looks rough... Timmins is make or break in the NHL at that point, so not an option. Gilbert is a RFA and should be brought back. Now we have Middleton and Clurman to add as well. Still that is only 3 roster spots. Barron is likely to make that 4. There isn't any other prospect that is clear to be brought in... only 2 others are really ready in Zhura and Leivermann. Looks to me they are setting up next year's Eagles lineup and figuring out what they need while trying to have some continuity.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Yeah, don't get this signing except that they think Byram, Johnson, or somebody else is out long-term to the point of season?! Biller got his phone calls in during Sakic's nap time I guess.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
If they trade Kaut now without giving him a try it would be so dumb.

What we need to do with our prospects is give them exposure to build their value then trade them if needed. We have the perfect team to do that were a kid can be plugged in and look good in a support role and then sold “high”.

The ultimate goal SHOULD ALWAYS BE to win the Stanley Cup.

Was it dumb of the Lightning last year to trade Nolan Foote to the New Jersey Devils to get Blake Picklejuice Coleman??? I think he was a big part of their run and I don't think they regret it.

I'm not suggesting trading Kaut for picks or another prospect but to get a player that will put us over the top.

If Seattle take Donskoi in the expansion draft - which is a legit possibility given how much he's producing this year, then Kaut would be the perfect replacement.

I'd say that Timmins or Bowers are more likely to be traded if one of our high end B prospects get moved. Bowers has less value to the Avs if he's going to be a LW rather than a C which looks likely to be the case.

Agreed that he would be a solid replacement for Donskoi. I still think Seattle will take Graves though as good d-men will be harder to come by then 3rd line wingers.

I just get the feeling that Kaut has never really been given a solid shot and just might not end up getting one. Kind of like Johnny Boychuk (boy, was that a disaster) it just kind of feels like there's a disconnect between Kaut and the organization. Don't know if he'll get moved but I won't be surprised if he does.

Reactions: Rumplesnipeskin

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Cronin might have some input with signings like this one.

Obviously he hasn’t had a great year and most likely doesn’t have NHL upside, but Cronin might want some size on his defence.

He obviously knows what he’s doing with defenceman, given what we’ve seen from MacDonald, Graves, and Renouf.

Reactions: MarkT and Richard88

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
I wouldn't be surprised if the Avs make some moves with their prospects... not a ton of room on the roster and some still have solid value to return what the Avs need. If you can parlay Timmins/Kaut/Bowers + 3rd into a good backup goalie that is here a few seasons, to me that is a solid move.

Now with these moves, the Avs tend to do these in bunches and announce them that way. With no official announcement, they don't seem to be done and are organizing a bit for next year. If you look at the defense in Loveland in particular, it looks rough... Timmins is make or break in the NHL at that point, so not an option. Gilbert is a RFA and should be brought back. Now we have Middleton and Clurman to add as well. Still that is only 3 roster spots. Barron is likely to make that 4. There isn't any other prospect that is clear to be brought in... only 2 others are really ready in Zhura and Leivermann. Looks to me they are setting up next year's Eagles lineup and figuring out what they need while trying to have some continuity.
How do you do that without creating a situation where Seattle take that goalie though? For that package you'd expect to get a good goalie, like say Korpisalo, but exposing him would almost guarantee that Seattle take him. Unless of course they play games by exposing Grubauer and try to resign him as an UFA instead - is that what you would do?

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Yeah, don't get this signing except that they think Byram, Johnson, or somebody else is out long-term to the point of season?! Biller got his phone calls in during Sakic's nap time I guess.
If Byram and Johnson are out surely they would simply acquire a depth Dman at the deadline. Even playing Pateryn or Renouf over Middleton would be preferable. Don't really see the reasoning here.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
How do you do that without creating a situation where Seattle take that goalie though? For that package you'd expect to get a good goalie, like say Korpisalo, but exposing him would almost guarantee that Seattle take him. Unless of course they play games by exposing Grubauer and try to resign him as an UFA instead - is that what you would do?
Upgrade it to a first and get Elvis! :laugh:

I wouldn't say it is a guarantee that Seattle would take that level of goalie. They'll have plenty of options and there are ways around that.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
The ultimate goal SHOULD ALWAYS BE to win the Stanley Cup.

Was it dumb of the Lightning last year to trade Nolan Foote to the New Jersey Devils to get Blake Picklejuice Coleman??? I think he was a big part of their run and I don't think they regret it.

I'm not suggesting trading Kaut for picks or another prospect but to get a player that will put us over the top.

Agreed that he would be a solid replacement for Donskoi. I still think Seattle will take Graves though as good d-men will be harder to come by then 3rd line wingers.

I just get the feeling that Kaut has never really been given a solid shot and just might not end up getting one. Kind of like Johnny Boychuk (boy, was that a disaster) it just kind of feels like there's a disconnect between Kaut and the organization. Don't know if he'll get moved but I won't be surprised if he does.
Tampa had the benefit of being able to keep their deadline acquisitions for another year without risk of losing them to Seattle. If Avs want to go out and get Miles Wood they'd pay the price of acquisition for two playoff runs, but risk losing him for nothing to Seattle. That said, maybe all teams being wary of the expansion draft will lower the price a bit compared to last year.

Whenever I've done a Seattle mock expansion draft I've found it far easier to pick Dmen than getting 14 forwards, and have had to go back and change a Dman or two to a forward instead. I could easily see Donskoi being attractive to them given that he has experience in the top 6 and producing like a top 6 forward this year. Bottom 4 Dmen will be very plentiful for them.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Upgrade it to a first and get Elvis! :laugh:

I wouldn't say it is a guarantee that Seattle would take that level of goalie. They'll have plenty of options and there are ways around that.
Are you talking about sending them a pick to not pick a goalie?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Lol, it would be helpful if you gave it to me straight instead of speaking in riddles. :laugh:

It can be picks, prospects, leaving a player unprotected... plenty of options to ensure a goalie isn't selected, if that even is an issue for the Avs. IE say the Avs made that move for Vladar (not saying he's on the market because he shouldn't be, just an example)... he's eligible for the expansion draft, but Seattle would be insane to select him over Dong or Graves.

Reactions: Richard88

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I have to think this is just taxi squad depth at this point. I think this is more of a move for the Eagles so they can have somebody actually good at that level play down there like Pateryn rather than having him languish in taxi squad limbo. And if I'm not mistaken it had to be a 2 year ELC because of his age. I'll be very surprised if he plays a game.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
I have to think this is just taxi squad depth at this point. I think this is more of a move for the Eagles so they can have somebody actually good at that level play down there like Pateryn rather than having him languish in taxi squad limbo. And if I'm not mistaken it had to be a 2 year ELC because of his age. I'll be very surprised if he plays a game.
Good point on Pateryn. He's not playing in the regular season because of his caphit, but once the playoffs start they might want to use him, and its better if he's kept in form in the AHL instead of sitting around on the taxi squad.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO

Reactions: McMetal

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Yeah I get it from that perspective. With both teams home this weekend will totally work out that way. But with the Avs going out for 4 game trip next week they really can’t have Middleton in any sort of next man up situation so we’ll see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad