KC Royals New Baseball Stadium

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
Hmmm… that Clay County site.

I don’t want to hijack the thread for Portland stuff… but it’s funny that there is now a rendering for a potential Portland team at the Lloyd Center (older failing mall just a few blocks from the Moda Center. ALSO, a second site suggested, the RedTail Golf Course, which happens to just be in Washington County, but on Portland-owned land. Seems like a trend to play city vs suburb (the golf course might be owned by Portland, but it’s right on the edge of Beaverton and Tigard).

I haven’t read anything yet that suggests RedTail would the like The Battery in Atlanta, but I presume it’s just a matter of time. Same with Clay County?

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
ummmm why is this $2 billion for what looks like a 35,000 seat outdoor ballpark? Please tell me the $2 billion includes the development around the stadium - parkades, plazas, offices/residential/hotel buildings, restaurants, road infrastructure. Bills are building a $1.5 billion 65,000 seat outdoor stadium.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
ummmm why is this $2 billion for what looks like a 35,000 seat outdoor ballpark? Please tell me the $2 billion includes the development around the stadium - parkades, plazas, offices/residential/hotel buildings, restaurants, road infrastructure. Bills are building a $1.5 billion 65,000 seat outdoor stadium.

Every time the cost is mentioned for stadiums, it usually has a ton of phantom dollars in it: Taxes and rents NOT charged to the team, or the price land isn't sold for. Which would be valid math for a city seeking a team when they have none, but isn't in the equation for existing teams.

My go-to example is the Mets stadium:
The LAND was given by the city to the team for free (X dollar value), and no property taxes would be charged (X dollar value), although the city owns the parking lot and leases them to the team.

But the status of the site before and after is essentially the exact same: The team didn't pay property taxes because the city owned the land; but they didn't pay rent in the last deal (from 1995-onward).

Everything is the same except there's a $450m new stadium and a parking lot instead of a paid for old stadium (that cost $25m to tear down) and a parking lot. It's really a $475m project, not a $800m project.

Now, with Kansas City, the new stadium isn't the same site as the old one. But the principle remains: The $2 billion includes the cost of GIVING the Royals 27 acres of downtown... but completely ignores that they're essentially "Giving back" half of a 220-acre complex where they used to play!

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Much better site than the other two previously explored options.

Dig the conceptual design but, speaking as architect, people are already getting way too into the weeds on what the rendered marketing images are showing.

The park or "lid" above the interstate is really key here. All that green space is sitting above I-670. This will really help connect the Crossroads and Midtown to Downtown. It's essentially our version of the Big Dig in Boston.

xhuY02F.jpeg

The elevated pedestrian plaza connecting T-Mobile Center and the new stadium is also pretty cool. We will see if it survives VE as shown lol. Though the south side of T-Mobile has the loading dock areas so connecting pedestrians above that utility access for the arena is key. Don't want crowds of pedestrian access crossing Truman at street level between the new stadium and T-Mobile, it would be ugly.

Last edited:
Reactions: IU Hawks fan

sneakytitz

Mar 8, 2023
Atlanta, GA, USA
It's for the entire development which, all things considered, is a fairly reasonable cost for what they're wanting to do.

Reactions: blueandgoldguy

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON

Leaves a bigger funding gap now. Do the Royals steer their focus to Clay Co. or across state line?

Reactions: blueandgoldguy

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO

Leaves a bigger funding gap now. Do the Royals steer their focus to Clay Co. or across state line?

I think Jackson County will try once more at the East Village site downtown. It was a bad political move to move the site from there to the site that was just voted down even if it looked cooler there in renderings. It riled up the community.

But Clay County / North KC and the Kansas side are definitely in play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad