Katz selling Rexall chain

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Taxes don't have to go up for the deal to cost taxpayers money.

Bingo.

tbh It annoys me tax money went to the rink, but it's about $200 per taxpayer.

I will get a lot more personal enjoyment out of the new rink than I will out of the new RAM or the AGA or any other number of facilities in the city/province/country that my tax dollars went towards.

sdimedru

Jan 19, 2007
Taxes don't have to go up for the deal to cost taxpayers money.

I won't argue that, my post was specifically reffering to omgitsadam spouting off that Edmontonian's taxes will "skyrocket" due to the arena deal.... which is 100% bull

anyways, arena deal discussion for the arena thread... onward with Katz's shifted business discussions...

sdimedru

Jan 19, 2007
Bingo.

tbh It annoys me tax money went to the rink, but it's about $200 per taxpayer.

I will get a lot more personal enjoyment out of the new rink than I will out of the new RAM or the AGA or any other number of facilities in the city/province/country that my tax dollars went towards.

also just curious, how did you calculate that?

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
also just curious, how did you calculate that?

A very quick guess. $279 million in direct cash via the CRL. ~1 million residents in Edmonton. Factor in some of that $279M is money that is specifically generated because of the rink which could be argued shouldn't be included.

I'm pretty sure a much more detailed analyses would come up with a number in the $100 to $300 per citizen range.

Depending on any number of fiscal and philosophical questions/assumptions: how much of the CRL is new revenue? Should new tax revenue into the CRL specificially generated by the rink 'count' as tax money for this discussion?

Who are taxpayers? Residents of the city? Homeowners? Renters?

I specifically don't consider the $125M in ticket surcharge as taxpayer money. Or the $138 M in lease payments.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
:shakehead on the entire topic of anonymous message board posters judging how a self-made billionaire manages his business empire and wealth. How incredibly ridiculous.

I bet most of you aren't even millionaires. :laugh:
Nope I am not but my son made his 1st million by age of 21 .God bless online poker:laugh:

sdimedru

Jan 19, 2007
A very quick guess. $279 million in direct cash via the CRL. ~1 million residents in Edmonton. Factor in some of that $279M is money that is specifically generated because of the rink which could be argued shouldn't be included.

I'm pretty sure a much more detailed analyses would come up with a number in the $100 to $300 per citizen range.

Depending on any number of fiscal and philosophical questions/assumptions: how much of the CRL is new revenue? Should new tax revenue into the CRL specificially generated by the rink 'count' as tax money for this discussion?

Who are taxpayers? Residents of the city? Homeowners? Renters?

I specifically don't consider the $125M in ticket surcharge as taxpayer money. Or the $138 M in lease payments.

That's why I asked... The 279mil comes only from property taxes from within the CRL boundary.
I live in Griesbach in Edmonton, $0 of my taxes go to the $279mil.

The incremental property tax revenue from office towers, condos and businesses is what pays for that $279mil, again, no one is getting a tax increase to pay that off. (Never mind a skyrocketing increase as initially suggested by the other poster)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad