Prospect Info: Kasperi Kapanen | Winger | KalPa (Liiga) | 4/3: Assigned to Wilkes-Barre

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
BrLmr5TCIAAkl5I.png

BrLpF0CCUAAMsQM.png

Scouting Report:
http://lastwordonsports.com/2014/04/15/2014-nhl-draft-profile-14-kasperi-kapanen/

Date of birth: 7/23/1996
Place of birth: Kuopio, Finland
Ht: 6’0″ Wt: 181 lbs
Shoots: Right
Position: RW
NHL Draft Eligibility: 2014
Twitter: @kasperikapanen

http://thehockeywriters.com/kasperi-kapanen-prospect-profile/

There's enough Kapanen-specific talk to warrant a second thread in my book.

Maybe add this to the first post

Schedule and Scores for Liiga: http://liiga.fi/ottelut/2014-2015/runkosarja/
- Seuranta = boxscore/highlights
- make sure ad block is turned off if you have it or video won't play

Today's game is here: http://liiga.fi/ottelut/2014-2015/ru...6281/seuranta/

Maybe add this to the first post

Schedule and Scores for Liiga: http://liiga.fi/ottelut/2014-2015/runkosarja/
- Seuranta = boxscore/highlights
- make sure ad block is turned off if you have it or video won't play

Last edited by a moderator:

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
cygnus47 said:
There's no official reason why he can't come to Pittsburgh or the AHL at any time other than a gentlemen's agreement that he plays the whole season in Finland. His rights are the Pens' and only the CHL major junior leagues have the issue with transfer to the AHL. I think the Liiga finishes in March (?) so there's no reason why he can't come to the A or the NHL when the season is finished.

Gentlemen's agreement? If I ever get a strip club... I have the name right there.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
He'll probably join the baby Pens when the SM-Liiga season is up, but I can't picture the team throwing an 18 year old rookie into a scoring role in the NHL at such a tough point in the season.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
If KK has a strong WJC tournament under that kind of pressure in NHL arenas (Toronto and Montreal), then I think we'll know more about his potential readiness for late-season NHL action.

Also, Rutherford could shut this door completely until training camp by doing his job and acquiring a couple of top-six forwards. And Johnston can also shut this door by using Beau Bennett as a top-six winger.

If neither does that, Kapanen is a viable late-season option for us.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
He needs to develop both physically and go through the grind of development. Bennett wasn't ready to play in the NHL at 18 or 19. The best thing for KK is to develop at each level and get enough bats to be really ready to contribute at the appropriate time.

BobCole

May 21, 2014
He needs to develop both physically and go through the grind of development. Bennett wasn't ready to play in the NHL at 18 or 19. The best thing for KK is to develop at each level and get enough bats to be really ready to contribute at the appropriate time.

Agreed. The kid oozes skill and easily projects as a Top 6 player in the NHL. But physically he's not ready yet.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
He's not frail by any means, definitely needs to add on muscle but I kind of wish he played in the AHL this year, not that anyone would have guessed we'd lose Dupuis the way we did (sad still).

penguins2946*

After the Liiga season is done, he'll probably come over to NA and play some games with WBS. He can't play more than 10 regular season and playoff games combined, so he will probably only get into a couple regular season games and maybe 2 or 3 playoff games. Kinda like what the WBS Pens did with Maatta in 2013.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
After the Liiga season is done, he'll probably come over to NA and play some games with WBS. He can't play more than 10 regular season and playoff games combined, so he will probably only get into a couple regular season games and maybe 2 or 3 playoff games. Kinda like what the WBS Pens did with Maatta in 2013.

I thought that 10 thing only applied to players that play in the CHL?

penguins2946*

I thought that 10 thing only applied to players that play in the CHL?

No it's any player that has signed their ELC. That's why Teravainen only played 8 games total between the Hawks and IceHogs last year.

I actually think Teravainen is a pretty good comparison for Kapanen. Here is what their production has looked like (both played in the Liiga):

Teravainen:

11-12: 40 games, 11 goals and 18 points (his draft year)
12-13: 44 games, 13 goals and 31 points
13-14: 49 games, 9 goals and 44 points

Kapanen:

12-13: 14 games, 3 goals and 3 points
13-14: 47 games, 7 goals and 14 points (his draft year)
14-15: 9 games, 5 goals and 9 points

He's trending along pretty nicely. I wouldn't be surprised for him to have Teravainen level hype once he comes over to NA.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
The Bottom line is if you need him and have no other options, then the 10 game limit be damned. yes it will cost us a year on his ELC, but if he can contribute to a cup run it is worth it.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Really looking forward to seeing him play in the World Juniors.
Finland reigning champs. They are well coached.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
He's trending along pretty nicely. I wouldn't be surprised for him to have Teravainen level hype once he comes over to NA.

Teräväinen earned the hype by leading Finland to WJHC gold medal in an average (if not below) team, then continuing by demolishing the Liga after the tournament. You get to see that kind of a display in Europe few times a decade maybe. Kapanen doesn't have the traits of TT and won't be that kind of a gamebreaker. He's still a fantastic prospect and can become a star at NHL level. Should he end up playing with Crosby one day, they'd be one of the fastest lines of modern hockey. Really exciting to see him develope and truly quite a catch for #22.

By the way someone mentioned 5'11, while I think I've seen reports that he is over 6'0.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Scored again today. So 10 games 6+4. He also fight with Pekka Jormakka in the third period. KalPa is now leading FEL.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Scored again today. So 10 games 6+4. He also fight with Pekka Jormakka in the third period. KalPa is now leading FEL.

What is the reason for their turnaround? Apparently they were historically bad last season from what I read.

Boocock

Feb 3, 2007
What is the reason for their turnaround? Apparently they were historically bad last season from what I read.
Part of the answer might be the player featured in this very thread. If that's the case, we should all be very excited about the future in Pittsburgh.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Another puck came out to him and he finished it. He's got the whole right place at the right time thing going on, and his shot is sick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad