Confirmed with Link: Kasperi Kapanen signs ELC (3 years | $925k per)

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Because the Pens could go a few years without signing him. ELC only starts once he plays in the NHL or juniors. Him getting an ELC means there is a good chance he comes over this season. That doesn't mean he will, but there is a chance because Jim also said he would get a look this season

Wouldn't the player WANT to come over in that case?

He delays becoming an RFA and UFA by staying out of NA from what you are saying.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Why is it so out of reach? No one knows if he's been training hard or not, I mean does anyone know all of the info about him from the combine?

Remember, Olli Maatta surprised everyone, albeit a year after his draft. But hey, if the kid looks good, there's a 9 game window. Couldn't hurt him to have that experience and then go back to Finland with more of a purpose than he had before and more knowledge of how to get to where he wants to be, back in the NHL but this time, not as a guy on a 9 game try out window.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Why is it so out of reach? No one knows if he's been training hard or not, I mean does anyone know all of the info about him from the combine?

Remember, Olli Maatta surprised everyone, albeit a year after his draft. But hey, if the kid looks good, there's a 9 game window. Couldn't hurt him to have that experience and then go back to Finland with more of a purpose than he had before and more knowledge of how to get to where he wants to be, back in the NHL but this time, not as a guy on a 9 game try out window.

Olli Maatta plays a smart simple game and always has. He was also 6'2 200 pounds and had been playing in London for like half of every game. Kap is a creative offensive guy, has ok size, but is clearly not yet a man, and he hasn't seen top minutes or a NA rink yet. His defensive game is also a weakness. He might be AHL capable, definitely not NHL ready, but he'll probably just stay with KalPa. If he gets into some exhibition games that will be enough for him this year. Maybe next year he'll get his 9 games.

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
What's so interesting about it? If you have the contract spot open, why not sign him now? I don't really think it means anything about his chances this season other than if he were to somehow amaze at camp, he'd already be signed.

Agreed. It is really a non factor in his track to North America. This was pretty much going to happen regardless of whether he makes the team or not.
That said, I am glad they got it out of the way. Not as if there was any drama surrounding it anyhow.

TheSlave

May 22, 2009
Praha, CZ
Actually Kapanen played in the North America during the years his father was still in NHL but he was very young back then...

Anyway, I guess the main reason why Penguins sign young (top talent) players immediately after draft is the fact that even if the player returns to juniors or Europe, he will still get his signing bonus for that year. It's not a massive amount of money but it gives the player a chance to fully concentrate on his career. He has enough money to just play wherever he can develop best, even if the team can't afford to pay him much. He has money to pay for personal trainers and knows that WHEN he is finally ready, he will have those three years to prove himself. This plan works well with players who have professional attitude, they will feel secure and do all they can to get better without trying to hurry themselves to NHL. But there's always the risk that guaranteed money will mix a young guy's head...

Derrick Pouliot's cap geek page as an example of the signing bonus usage.

member 51464

Crazy that an unproven prospect signing bonus is more in each of those 3 years than most on here will ever make in their real career.

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
Because the Pens could go a few years without signing him. ELC only starts once he plays in the NHL or juniors. Him getting an ELC means there is a good chance he comes over this season. That doesn't mean he will, but there is a chance because Jim also said he would get a look this season

Going a few years without signing him would be Pejorative Slured.

Stad

@Mahomes2Helaire
Apr 22, 2007
Saskatoon
I really want him somewhere in north America this year... best to start getting used to it like Maatta did

literally, just a glimpse, because they are only opening one of those days to the public right?

I'm not sure? i know it's being streamed though.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Crazy that an unproven prospect signing bonus is more in each of those 3 years than most on here will ever make in their real career.

even a guy like Reid McNeil who gets a very basic ELC will make 100 grand in signing bonuses.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad