Confirmed with Link: Kasperi Kapanen signs ELC (3 years | $925k per)

penguins2946*

That's interesting to say the least. The Pens did not need to sign Kapanen anytime soon, they would retain his rights for a few years. The only reason I think they signed him is that they were serious about giving him a look on the roster for this season.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
That's interesting to say the least. The Pens did not need to sign Kapanen anytime soon, they would retain his rights for a few years. The only reason I think they signed him is that they were serious about giving him a look on the roster for this season.

What's so interesting about it? If you have the contract spot open, why not sign him now? I don't really think it means anything about his chances this season other than if he were to somehow amaze at camp, he'd already be signed.

mikethelegacy

formerly mikelegacy
May 9, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa
Great, albeit expected, signing. Hopefully he tears it up in training camp and make the team. Just one more nail in the Adam's Coffin i've been making. :yo:

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I think they tendency is to sign all the 1st rounders you pick straight away, unless they're going NCAA or are in Russia.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA

If he goes back to Europe, it doesn't make a difference (it won't count as a year off the deal, nor will it count against the contract limit). This gives them the flexibility to play him for a few games at the start of the season, if he earns it. He's a first-round pick, so he was going to get signed, why not get it out of the way? It's pretty standard procedure, in any case.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I still think we got EXTREMELY LUCKY with this pick. The fact that he missed the World Juniors and then played on a ****** team in Finland helped him drop way further than he would have otherwise.

And if I remember he had an injury as well.

I agree with you, usually guys picked for their last name burn you. We only have to remember Jordan, who while good, never became anything like his older brother. But this kid is a talent all his own, in many ways better than his father was as a prospect.

As for signing this contract? No big deal, he has been signing contracts with men for years.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Won't be in the lineup this year but can see it the following. Unlike on D where guys are being blocked, we obviously have openings at forward.

Kunitz - Crosby - Kapanen
Bennett - Malkin - Hornqvist

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
I really want him somewhere in north America this year... best to start getting used to it like Maatta did

You'll get a glimpse of him next week(July 15th-19th) at the prospect camp.

literally, just a glimpse, because they are only opening one of those days to the public right?

Last edited by a moderator:

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Won't be in the lineup this year but can see it the following. Unlike on D where guys are being blocked, we obviously have openings at forward.

Kunitz - Crosby - Kapanen
Bennett - Malkin - Hornqvist

i'd imagine (hope) kunitz will be out of the top six by the time kapanen is ready

Last edited:

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
This was expected. What's so interesting about this?

Because the Pens could go a few years without signing him. ELC only starts once he plays in the NHL or juniors. Him getting an ELC means there is a good chance he comes over this season. That doesn't mean he will, but there is a chance because Jim also said he would get a look this season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad