Prospect Info: Kasper Bjorkqvist | Winger | Blues Jr. → Providence (HE) | 2nd round, 61st overall

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
ClzkQslWQAAZKa1.jpg

Pick was originally sent to Toronto for Daniel Winnik, then re-obtained last summer in the Kessel deal.

Ranked #136 by ISS Hockey
Ranked #134 by Future Considerations
Ranked #22 by NHL Central Scouting (EU Skaters)
Ranked #79 by TSN/McKenzie

www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=122146

The physical game is Björkqvist’s bread and butter. He is strong and knows how to use his body. He can throw heavy hits and won’t turn away from contact.

General assessment: Björkqvist went undrafted last year when he was first eligible, but it’s almost certain he hears his name called in 2016. He plays with a 110% attitude all the time and can provide everything a team needs from solid PK to offensive contributions.

http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/arponen-scouting-the-2016-nhl-draft-four-finnish-forwards/

Last edited:
Reactions: BladeRunner66

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Going to Providence, hope he works out better than our last pick who went there.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Is he undersized, though? That is the real question here. :laugh:

Nah, he's like 6'1" and 200 lbs.

I don't like this pick, even more than the Gustavsson pick (I was mainly confused on this pick). This seems like a big reach for a guy that doesn't seem to have top-6 upside. This pick seems like a low risk, low reward pick. He's a pretty good bet to be a bottom-6 player, but I don't think he has more upside than that.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Not sure about this one. I would have liked the Pens to go for more skill for a forward and take a little risk. Time will tell I guess. He's probably 4 years away from really knowing what we have since he's going to college.

Plair

Feb 27, 2012
I see Erik Haula clone in Björkqvist. Potential to be a good 3rd line winger with excellent PK skills. Gritty forward, but has also decent puck skills. Good skater but needs to improve his physicality. I'm surprised though that he went this early.

Last edited:

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
The Friars are losing six forwards to graduation this summer so Björkqvist should see enough ice time with Providence at least. They've been a top college team recently, winning the Frozen Four in 2015 and Hockey East in 2016.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
He'll be on the Finnish U20 team, so we'll finally have some representation in that tournament again.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I see Erik Haula clone in Björkqvist. Potential to be a good 3rd line winger with excellent PK skills. Gritty forward, but has also decent puck skills. Good skater but needs to improve his physicality. I'm surprised though that he went this early.

I'd be very happy with Haula at #61. Thanks for the report.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Glad to have him aboard. Not a prospect I researched at all so...interested to read more on him.

Dropkick Murphy

Jul 9, 2011
In the bubble
Björkqvist would had played major role in FEL, but because he was NCAA-bound, he was not able to play in men's. Great attitude, team first player. Quite possible that he will pan out as elite bottom 6 forward. That's great outcome for third rounder.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad