Prospect Info: Karson Kuhlman

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Kuhlman was right there with Studnicka in DC - I went last 3 days and he was all over the place

If you watched the Frozen Four he was dominant but he wasn’t on lists I looked at one of the handful of top college FA

Last night I was a bit surprised how fast (and good) he looked but apparently I’m late to the party after reading this

Notes from 2nd day of Prospects Challenge

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
I don't think he was rated very highly because he's never really been a point producer.

Then again, guys like Noel Acciari, Tim Schaller, and Sean Kuraly weren't real big scorers in college, and they all seem to have carved out productive NHL roles for themselves.

Reactions: DKH

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
GM Sweeney was impressed with Kuhlman at rookie camp.

Eight different prospects scored goals at the challenge, with Karson Kuhlman being the lone player with two goals. The former University of Minnesota-Duluth forward's level of play since camp started has caused the Boston brass to take notice.

"The tenacity of Karson [Kuhlman] is probably what's going to stand out," said Boston Bruins General Manager Don Sweeney. "Manages the puck really well, goes to the hard areas of the ice, got rewarded the other night, can penalty kill, he'll forecheck, a responsible player. He's certainly a guy we've identified that might grow with us and carve out a niche."

https://www.nhl.com/bruins/news/sweeney ... -300043630

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
Found money. The Bruins were smart to bring him in prior to his senior season for Development Camp. It made him an easy sign.

Most of the media is pegging him as the 1st injury call up.

Johnny Danger

Jul 7, 2002
Suisse
Visit site
how do you like Kuhlmans development? He's been an energy-type of player in college and seemed to add some offense in his AHL rookie season (6G, 13pts so far)

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
how do you like Kuhlmans development? He's been an energy-type of player in college and seemed to add some offense in his AHL rookie season (6G, 13pts so far)
Very smart hockey player, killer on the PK,doesn't have the stone hands the bottom 6 usually have but isn't particularly creative he's right on schedule

Reactions: JRull86 and Malt

Malt

Jul 6, 2007
Providence, RI
He's gaining confidence as the season is progressing, even as Providence struggles to play .500 hockey. As mentioned above, he's great on the PK. Would love to see him get a chance to see him stick with a center and get some chemistry going---he's been all over the lineup this year.

Reactions: JCRO

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
does he have the foot speed to compete at the NHL level
I assume you didn't get to see him in the Prospect game or Pre-season? He's real fast,arguably the fastest on the team

Last edited by a moderator:

BruinsNetwork

Very smart hockey player, killer on the PK,doesn't have the stone hands the bottom 6 usually have but isn't particularly creative he's right on schedule

I second this. Not very creative, but in terms of north-south style, he’s actually quite refreshing in the bottom-six. Really smart, awesome on the PK and has that “killer” instinct on offense, especially along the boards. He rarely lets his foot off the gas in any zone.

He’s one of the players that I wish would get a look in the Boston.

Reactions: Johnny Danger

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
GM Sweeney was impressed with Kuhlman at rookie camp.

Eight different prospects scored goals at the challenge, with Karson Kuhlman being the lone player with two goals. The former University of Minnesota-Duluth forward's level of play since camp started has caused the Boston brass to take notice.

"The tenacity of Karson [Kuhlman] is probably what's going to stand out," said Boston Bruins General Manager Don Sweeney. "Manages the puck really well, goes to the hard areas of the ice, got rewarded the other night, can penalty kill, he'll forecheck, a responsible player. He's certainly a guy we've identified that might grow with us and carve out a niche."

https://www.nhl.com/bruins/news/sweeney ... -300043630

Look forward to seeing this kid's growth with the organization.

Interesting word choice by Sweeney, "carve out a niche." Seems like most of the forward prospects are more likely to, if they make it, "carve out a niche" rather than rapidly ascend to key roles.

Pasta exploded onto the scene. DeBrusk developed into a valuable player quickly. Other picks...not so much, unfortunately.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I second this. Not very creative, but in terms of north-south style, he’s actually quite refreshing in the bottom-six. Really smart, awesome on the PK and has that “killer” instinct on offense, especially along the boards. He rarely lets his foot off the gas in any zone.

He’s one of the players that I wish would get a look in the Boston.

He can't be any worse than Noel Acciari.

Reactions: Dr Hook

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I've noticed you are the Chairman of the Noel Acciari fan club and was wondering what it would take for me to be nominated as VP of communications for the fan club? :)

Forget the nomination, the job is yours. It comes with some perks, it gives you free reign to comment on the greatness of Noel Acciari into every thread at your discretion.

Welcome aboard! ;)

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
Noel Acciari is there because he hits and kills penalties
Good luck to this kid Kuhlman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad