Speculation: Karlsson to Toronto?

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
But Knies is the greatest prospect of all time!

No one is saying that. But he is a power forward prospect and the Leafs need guys like him to become top 9 players because these players aren't traded by other teams. So the hole he fills is greater than any other hole on the roster being filled.

As for the OP, there has been 0 media talk about Karlsson being added. They are full of it and this thread is bait

• Haha
Reactions: Haatley

Zur En Arrh

Apr 16, 2022
Im down to get it done. I just think the return will have to be much better than Knies + cap dump(or is it if he can LTIR - worthless asset) + I assume 2023 TOR 1st as those (picks) + more

I like Knies as much as anyone but retaining half of 11m for the next 5 seasons(including this one) but that kinda retain can warrant Knies alone as payment
not sure Leafs have the assets to get this done
you're being trolled...they want us stuck with that contract..none I've had they wrote was sincere

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Karlsson at 50% retained returns a hell of a lot more than that. Especially with a cap dump in Muzzin added to the deal as well.

Unless those "picks" are multiple 1sts, this is really awful.

Reactions: Gecklund

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
Muzzin doesn't need to be dumped as he's probably gonna be LTIR'd.

The Leafs need Knies too much to move him. Our prospect pool is littered with small skill guys and Knies is literally the only Power Forward we have.

I expect the Leafs to be targeting a 2LW personally, just in case Knies isn't ready or good enough. Knies could potentially take Engvalls spot of the 3rd line aswell.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Do the people proposing these 50% retained deals on Eric Karlsson even understand what that means? Karlsson is not a rental whose deal is up at the end of this season. He has four more years left on his deal after this one, during which time he will earn $38M dollars in actual salary plus whatever is left for this years. So, if you're asking San Jose to retain 50% of that, you're basically saying that you want them to give up Eric Karlsson and over $19M in real money plus take a four season cap hit of $5.75M a year. in exchange for what you're giving them.

If Muzzin is sent back in the return and he's able to play then SJ has to pay out another $4M and take a $5.625M for 1 year. If Muzzin is unable to play and his deal is fully insured then he won't cost them anything. I think the latter is more likely, so SJ taking him is probably just a favour to the Leafs.

So, basically, it comes down to what is $5.75M in dead cap for each of the next 4 years, $19M in real money, and Eric Karlsson worth?

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
So, basically, it comes down to what is $5.75M in dead cap for each of the next 4 years, $19M in real money, and Eric Karlsson worth?
1671309868951.gif

Reactions: Groo

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
We're not a fit for Karlsson. Can't afford him and SJ is better off trading him to a team that can give them a lot more draft capital and prospects.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
We're not a fit for Karlsson. Can't afford him and SJ is better off trading him to a team that can give them a lot more draft capital and prospects.
I’d agree with this. I think obviously Karlsson in Toronto (and Edmonton) would be real good but he’s really more of a want than a need for both teams. Between cap hit, time left on the contract, and overall value of EK, it’s just hard to put something together that makes sense for everyone involved.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad