Proposal: Karlsson to NJD

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Colorado wants in on this kind of trade: No reason to give up the valuable 2019 OTT pick when we can just give up our 2018 pick instead.

COL 1st (16th), Timmins and JT Compher lol

Terrible. You know better than that, with all the hovering you do over on the Senators board. There's no way EK puts on an Avalanche sweater unless that OTT 1st comes back.

Rleo82

Jun 19, 2018
No way NJ lets Lovejoy go for EK. Lovejoy is too important to the NJ future.

I hope you are screwing with me. The only one who loves him is Hynes who kept playing lovejoy ofe mueller when healthy.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I hope you are screwing with me. The only one who loves him is Hynes who kept playing lovejoy ofe mueller when healthy.

I’m just being silly. I’ve never understood Hynes’ fascination with playing Lovejoy and even as the RD3 all he did was block Santini who almost certainly would have played well with similarly sheltered minutes. At least his contract only has one more year left.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
I don't do it. What if this team overachieved this year? Look at Ottawa. A double overtime game 7 loss in the conference finals. One goal away from the finals. Then with virtually the same team they are terrible the following year. Edmonton. Same shit pretty much. Top team and then don't make the playoffs Colorado goes from a team ready to make go he leap into the playoffs and finishes dead last and the next year becomes a playoff team. More parity in the league.
What if jersey regresses? It's highly possible. This team is still in a rebuild.
We give up a mid first, arguably our two top prospects and a very good young defenseman who is many have pencilled in as a current top four. For maybe one year of Karlsson. He might be the best defenseman in the league but if this team doesn't win the cup with him next year and he resigns elsewhere, well, this team is screwd!

Last edited:
Reactions: milehigh11

Klaus3154

Apr 22, 2018
New York
Add Bobby Ryan with no retention and maybe this deal sounds more plausible but still think NJ would need to add some picks

Zezel22

Mar 9, 2018
Add Bobby Ryan with no retention and maybe this deal sounds more plausible but still think NJ would need to add some picks

How about this:

To NJ:
Erik Karlsson
Bobby Ryan
2018 1st (PIT)

To OTT:
NJ 2018 1st
NJ 2019 1st
Damon Severson
John Quenneville

Reactions: Devilsrock17

Zezel22

Mar 9, 2018
And New Jersey gets arguably the best defenseman in the league AND a first round pick? Just awful. Makes sense cuz Dorion

He hasnt signed a contract. And the Ryan contract is beyond bad man. If he bolts and Ryan is stuck on the books this goes down as a fiasco of historic proportions for NJ. I think its worth considering because as you say, EK is that special and fortune favors the bold.

Note: NJ doesnt get a first round pick. They are swapping first round picks this year - NJ goes down to 22 from 17 as part of the deal. Then the 2019 NJD 1st is given to Ottawa straight up. Ottawa is getting a 2019 1st, Severson, Quenneville, moving up 5 spots with their 2nd 2018 1st and to unload one of the worst contracts in the NHL.

Zezel22

Mar 9, 2018
At the rate things are going, Ottawa is going to need Ryan's contract to get to the cap floor.

Nobody has talked about the Gaboric contract, which is not as bad as Ryan's but also quite bad. You could also work that into a Karlsson deal if u wanted. I think Ryan is a far more valuable asset as a PLAYER tho, as far as a guy who could potentially help your team, namely in the postseason.

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
How about this:

To NJ:
Erik Karlsson
Bobby Ryan
2018 1st (PIT)

To OTT:
NJ 2018 1st
NJ 2019 1st
Damon Severson
John Quenneville

I don't do this deal, simply because I think EK tests free agency and the Devils will be stuck with Ryan's awful contract and fewer assets.

If you want to talk about an extended Karlsson, then sure. But if we're talking Karlsson + contract every team in the league will be that offer.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
Nobody has talked about the Gaboric contract, which is not as bad as Ryan's but also quite bad. You could also work that into a Karlsson deal if u wanted. I think Ryan is a far more valuable asset as a PLAYER tho, as far as a guy who could potentially help your team, namely in the postseason.

Ottawa is likely going to trade Karlsson and Matt Duchene, and in all likelihood not take back significant salary in either of those deals. Unless Melnyk just really hates the city of Ottawa and the fans of his team, there's no need for him to dump salary especially since it will diminish the return. At this point, saying "we were on goal away from the finals" has more to do with nostalgia than any sort of insight on how the team should be managed going forward.

Devilsrock17

Jun 20, 2018
Devils trade Severson,Quennville,Mcleod,Blackwood,and the 17th overall pick for Karlsson and Ryan...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad