Value of: Karlsson or Doughty for 1st overall?

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
highy unlikely. If your a bottom8 team, your probably 3-4 players away from contention. I think you try Dahlin to see what he's got at the nhl level first. He might be ready for top4 minutes. Anyway if i'm looking to trade it for EK or DD at 10M x8 years, LA or Ott will have to add. 3 years on ELC is worth some, and EK injury is kind of worrysome.
Ek isnt injured. He’s taking some time off because of the death of his child

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
From Kings POV - Are they ready to move on?

From Sens POV - Hell yes.

Potential lottery winners I think would turn it down:
Rangers
- Doesn't work with the rebuild they're going through. Doughty and Karlsson won't be good enough when they're pushing for their next cup, I assume.
Carolina - They've got a good enough blueline. If they traded the first overall pick it would be for some forwards, right?

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
There's only one, possibly two players in the entire league that would return this year's 1st overall. Karlsson or Doughty are definitely not one of them.

Reactions: Kreator

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
For Edmonton I’d trade 1st overall for an extended Doughty. Sekera would have to be willing to waive as a cap casualty

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
Kings and Senators could get more proven players if they traded a signed Doughty or Karlsson to another team than take a chance on a prospect, all be it a good one.

I leave with Nail Yakupov's pre-draft report.
  1. Yakupov is a gifted goal scoring forward, something that really doesn’t seem to come around that often, so when one does he is a hot commodity," said Head Scout Ross MacLean of International Scouting Services.
    Hockeyprospect.com's Mark Edwards had the following to say about Yakupov:
    "Nail is arguably the best prospect available in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft for several reasons. First and foremost is his skating. He maintains a low centre of gravity, great strength in his lower body and his quick footwork allows his first few steps to be very strong, giving him exceptional acceleration... He can explode on the outside, but also has excellent lateral agility and can go outside/inside better than most players in the CHL... The release on his shot is powerful and accurate, none more so than his one-timer. Goaltenders simply need to hope that the puck hits him, because when he connects it’s just a blur."​
    NHL Central Scouting's Chris Edwards had similar praise for Yakupov:
    "His first step and ability to control bouncing pucks, knock them down and make a play are the best of any of the guys in the draft, in my opinion. He really gets up to top speed very quickly and his hands are outstanding. Like Pavel Bure, Yakupov is dangerous every shift."​

spaghtti

Oct 13, 2013
My guess is they would trade RNH if they need the money or try unload Lucic
Or how about keep the guy on ELC, I think that soulmate the most sense unless it was a sign and trade with the team giving up EC or Doughty retaining

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Just looking at teams out of the playoffs I could see this be a list of teams willing to go with the ready now(not 4-5 years from now) aspect of the deal.

Buffalo, Oilers, Islanders, Dallas and one of NJ/Florida if they miss the playoffs. Now big question is would Karlsson/Doughty be willing to sign with those teams plus would LA trade Doughty(I heard a rumor LA may be interested in Karlsson and will trade Doughty to get the assets and free up capspace)
Uh...forget the spectulation, I want to hear more about this.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
that is the key

I do not see any sane GM trading first overall for a player with 12 months on their contract only to see him walk after one year

If you can get one of OEL, EK or DD extended--for say 5 to 6 years--that would be worth 1st overall this year

No GM is going to trade for either EK or DD unless they have the will and cap space to do whatever needs to be done to keep them. I would imagine some informal talks would take place with the players agent about 'would they be willing to re-sign with us' prior to any trade as well

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
Hard to think that the Kings move Doughty, unless he said to management that he wants a trade.

Hard to think Ottawa gets first overall when Karlsson will refuse to sign an extension to the team that gets the #1 pick. He wants to end up in Tampa. Ideally, Ottawa would be wise to give up Karlsson and get Rasmus Dahlin. But it just isn't likely. If Karlsson was willing to sign an extension, then it makes sense if it's someone like Edmonton that won the lottery.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
There's only one, possibly two players in the entire league that would return this year's 1st overall. Karlsson or Doughty are definitely not one of them.
This is almost certainly false, especially when you do not know the team in question.

Defensemen are a different animal, no GM is going to draft him thinking he'll instantly step into their top pair unless their blue line is utter garbage. You simply do not know how long it will take for him to be an impact player. Took Pronger a couple years to hit his stride as I recall. I can think of many players a team that wants to win now would consider in a trade for Dahlin. NHL GM's aren't all HF posters you know?

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Oilers and Sabres would most likely part with the 1st overall for a signed EK or Doughty, Montreal might do it as well if they have the cap space and think Price can bounce back next season.
as great as they are,i don't think montreal does it. they keep dahlin and use the money elsewhere. a lot already tied up in weber and price. management has already gone on record as wanting to get younger. they don't have a player over 30 in their line-up right now i don't think.... weber is out for the year

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
This is almost certainly false, especially when you do not know the team in question.

Defensemen are a different animal, no GM is going to draft him thinking he'll instantly step into their top pair unless their blue line is utter garbage. You simply do not know how long it will take for him to be an impact player. Took Pronger a couple years to hit his stride as I recall. I can think of many players a team that wants to win now would consider in a trade for Dahlin. NHL GM's aren't all HF posters you know?

I understand that d-men are tough to predict, but teams simply don't trade away 1st overall picks in the salary cap world.....ever. Especially when the player at the top is as highly rated as Dahlin. It's a PR nightmare waiting to happen if you go down that route. Teams wait decades to get a shot at drafting a franchise star 1st overall. We go through the same song and dance almost every season and still a 1st overall hasn't been traded in 15 years. Even then, that trade was just moving down a couple spots in a draft that was loaded. This year there's Dahlin and then there's everybody else. The last time the 1st overall was traded where the main piece coming back was an active player was 35 years ago. Sorry, just not gonna happen. The only way any team with a realistic chance of winning the lottery passes up on the chance to draft Dahlin is if they're getting somebody like McDavid back IMO. If they're winning the lottery they're probably not in a situation where they feel the need to win now anyway.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I understand that d-men are tough to predict, but teams simply don't trade away 1st overall picks in the salary cap world.....ever. Especially when the player at the top is as highly rated as Dahlin. It's a PR nightmare waiting to happen if you go down that route. Teams wait decades to get a shot at drafting a franchise star 1st overall. We go through the same song and dance almost every season and still a 1st overall hasn't been traded in 15 years. Even then, that trade was just moving down a couple spots in a draft that was loaded. This year there's Dahlin and then there's everybody else. The last time the 1st overall was traded where the main piece coming back was an active player was 35 years ago. Sorry, just not gonna happen. The only way any team with a realistic chance of winning the lottery passes up on the chance to draft Dahlin is if they're getting somebody like McDavid back IMO. If they're winning the lottery they're probably not in a situation where they feel the need to win now anyway.

You are lacking imagination. MacKinnon, Matthews, Laine, Eichel, just to name a few could all be swapped for such a player if the team in question was already strong at D.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
If it is a team that isn't having cap trouble, one consideration has to be that even if Dahlin will be on his ELC for three years, after that he'll be set to make 7.5M-10.5M.

Ekblad received 7.5M under a cap that could be as much as 15-20 million lower than what Dahlin will sign his big contract extension under, and Dahlin is seen as having a much higher ceiling than Ekblad.

So if a team can acquire Karlsson or Doughty, get them on 1 year at their current low cap hits, and then 7 years at 11-12 million, how far off is that from having Dahlin at roughly 4M for 3 seasons, and then as much as 10M for 8 seasons after that?

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
You are lacking imagination. MacKinnon, Matthews, Laine, Eichel, just to name a few could all be swapped for such a player if the team in question was already strong at D.

Sure anything could happen. I'm just basing my opinion off what has happened for the last 30+ years though. Teams simply don't trade 1st overall picks. They draft what they hope to be a franchise player with that pick and sort out the areas of need by dealing other assets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad