Value of: Karlsson or Doughty for 1st overall?

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Hypothetical here but if a team wins the lottery and either of these guys are willing to extend, what are the chances the first overall straight up gets it done?

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
0% chance. Bottom half teams are always going to want the young cost controlled stud vs a player that helps a win now type team.

Generally speaking, yes. but when you look at some of the teams that have the potential to be lottery teams, that gets a little muddier. Oilers, for example, could absolutely use a 'win-now' piece, as opposed to waiting and hoping on Dahlin.

that being said, if the oilers win another first overall, the team should be removed from all future lotteries.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Generally speaking, yes. but when you look at some of the teams that have the potential to be lottery teams, that gets a little muddier. Oilers, for example, could absolutely use a 'win-now' piece, as opposed to waiting and hoping on Dahlin.

that being said, if the oilers win another first overall, the team should be removed from all future lotteries.
I'm not familiar with the Oilers cap space. Can they afford an expensive piece like EK or Doughty long term?

The Senators Guy

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope we sign EK65, great player and damn he deserves it. I think he's worth 9 or 10M. I really hope he gets to stay in Ottawa especially after what just happened. It'd be so hard to then go to another team because Ottawa won't sign him. It'd be even more heartbreaking than it is.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I think if you have the chance to draft Dahlin, you don't trade that pick for anything short of McDavid. Dahlin is going to be a good player, and you get 3 years of him on his ELC.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

I think their is a bunch of teams who might look for the quick fix. I know if the opportunity opened up for the Islanders to trade and sign either they would probably go for it.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I'm not familiar with the Oilers cap space. Can they afford an expensive piece like EK or Doughty long term?

Probably not. theyd have to make some pretty significant changes, i think. But im also not super knowledgeable about their cap either.

You could argue a team like Montreal, or Chicago might prefer the established player, as they have an older core and may want to make a push. You could easily argue it the other way too, though, and I wouldn't disagree either.

Its just a weird year where you have some teams that had bad years that shouldnt be potential lottery teams, but are.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Dallas is a team that could make it work... suppose they don't make the playoffs and win the top pick somehow.... They could us Karlsson, and seem to have cap space. They aren't exactly a young team, so it might be better to have the star now, than a great future piece.

If Ottawa doesn't think they can resign, I'm sure Dahlin would be a nice consolation prize.

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
Most of the teams that could win the lottery are in the situations they are because they're missing a guy like Karlsson/Doughty. That would probably be a good move instead of waiting and hoping on Dahlin.
On the other hand, if you're the worst team in the league (or bottom-5, anway), you're not 'just' one elite player away from being a contender.

Karlsson and Doughty are already 27-28 and they may start to regress by the time that team becomes competitive.

.. also, they'd have to be able to afford a 10+ M cap hit.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Not likely ,and extended EK or Doughty is worth alot

that is the key

I do not see any sane GM trading first overall for a player with 12 months on their contract only to see him walk after one year

If you can get one of OEL, EK or DD extended--for say 5 to 6 years--that would be worth 1st overall this year

Mar 14, 2011
0% chance. Bottom half teams are always going to want the young cost controlled stud vs a player that helps a win now type team.
Oilers and Sabres would most likely part with the 1st overall for a signed EK or Doughty, Montreal might do it as well if they have the cap space and think Price can bounce back next season.

cactusjack

Apr 3, 2015
highy unlikely. If your a bottom8 team, your probably 3-4 players away from contention. I think you try Dahlin to see what he's got at the nhl level first. He might be ready for top4 minutes. Anyway if i'm looking to trade it for EK or DD at 10M x8 years, LA or Ott will have to add. 3 years on ELC is worth some, and EK injury is kind of worrysome.

cactusjack

Apr 3, 2015
Probably not. theyd have to make some pretty significant changes, i think. But im also not super knowledgeable about their cap either.

You could argue a team like Montreal, or Chicago might prefer the established player, as they have an older core and may want to make a push. You could easily argue it the other way too, though, and I wouldn't disagree either.

Its just a weird year where you have some teams that had bad years that shouldnt be potential lottery teams, but are.

Problem is both EK and DD are righty. We need LHD to play with Weber. And with bad contracts like Price/Weber/Shaw/Alzner and no top6 centers, we need the Dahlin ELC more than established D-men

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Problem is both EK and DD are righty. We need LHD to play with Weber. And with bad contracts like Price/Weber/Shaw/Alzner and no top6 centers, we need the Dahlin ELC more than established D-men

Very true. I think i was just using them as a good example of a team who isnt (or at least shouldne be) as bad as their record indicates.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Oilers and Sabres would most likely part with the 1st overall for a signed EK or Doughty, Montreal might do it as well if they have the cap space and think Price can bounce back next season.

Montreal wouldn't do it, better to have Weber mentor Dahlin and be replaced by him as he gets older.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
highy unlikely. If your a bottom8 team, your probably 3-4 players away from contention.

Just looking at teams out of the playoffs I could see this be a list of teams willing to go with the ready now(not 4-5 years from now) aspect of the deal.

Buffalo, Oilers, Islanders, Dallas and one of NJ/Florida if they miss the playoffs. Now big question is would Karlsson/Doughty be willing to sign with those teams plus would LA trade Doughty(I heard a rumor LA may be interested in Karlsson and will trade Doughty to get the assets and free up capspace)

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I think their is a bunch of teams who might look for the quick fix. I know if the opportunity opened up for the Islanders to trade and sign either they would probably go for it.
I am not convinced that the isles owners would sign off a on a 7/8 yr /$12m per season for either EK or Doughty .
A potential franchise D on an ELC is pretty tough to pass up. 20 yr old Barzal+Dahlin+ that 2nd top 15 pick is several yrs of high end, cost controlled talent

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
If it's an older team that is close to winning but just missed the playoffs then it might make sense. Other then that I'd keep the pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad