Karlis Cukste (130th), Rudolfs Balcers (142nd), & Adam Parsells (160th)

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
64166a.jpg

24v314h.jpg

16kyx07.jpg

"Mammoth US born defender with a good hockey IQ an active stick and a wingspan of an airplane. He has great balance and four direction mobility for a growing teenager and is calm and confident going into his zone to retrieve dump ins. Poised in his zone and masks his intentions on break-out well. He has a heavy point blast. Has some carrying skills but is a better player if paired with a true mailman dee-man. His improvement will hinge upon a few what-ifs, primarily if he can become a more assertive defenseman with more edge, and it seems a certainty that a team will call his name and find out down the road. He will start his development at the University of Wisconsin.
—Bill Placzek—"

and an interview with him about potentially being drafted:
http://www.wausaudailyherald.com/st...s-parsells-hopes-selected-nhl-draft/29295263/

Last edited:

hockeey

Oct 28, 2014
CA
Before anyone ****s on Cukste, that video is a few years old I think. Don't know what to think of him yet though but I would imagine his skating has improved since then

GX

Dec 28, 2011
Čukste is playing USHL next season, Balcers 'is ready to stay in Stavanger', but that might change.

So, there will be three Latvians at Sharks dev camp? Čukste+Balcers+Jevpalovs. ;)

Helistin

Dustin's equilibrium
Aug 12, 2006
Close to you
Hmm, what with the all Latvians recently? It's not like there has been ton of NHL players coming out of Latvia in the past.
Not hating the picks or players , just curious.

GX

Dec 28, 2011
Hmm, what with the all Latvians recently? It's not like there has been ton of NHL players coming out of Latvia in the past.
Not hating the picks or players , just curious.

There were way more Latvians in the NHL in late 90s, early 2000s than now. For a long time there was the core of regular NHLers of Ozolinsh, Irbe, Zholtok, Skrastins, also Skudra with a couple of players getting their chances from time to time as well. There were like four seasons in a row when 7 Latvians hit NHL ice. Currently there's only Girgensons and Kenins with Gudlevskis being very close to the league.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
There were way more Latvians in the NHL in late 90s, early 2000s than now. For a long time there was the core of regular NHLers of Ozolinsh, Irbe, Zholtok, Skrastins, also Skudra with a couple of players getting their chances from time to time as well. There were like four seasons in a row when 7 Latvians hit NHL ice. Currently there's only Girgensons and Kenins with Gudlevskis being very close to the league.

:cry:

I always wanted Skrastins as a Shark.

nabbyfan

Oct 4, 2007
Santa Clarita, CA
You forgot Raitis Ivanans!

Ivanans was the man! The Latvian John Scott if you will.

Also Oskars Bartulis, Janis Sprukts, Martins Karsums, Kaspars Daugavins, and Arturs Kulda are all Latvian and spent a decent amount of time in the NHL. Could be more that I'm forgetting.

I speak Latvian as a result of studying in Riga for a year in my youth and am very happy to see the organization suddenly be full of Latvian prospects.

I ran a pretty good scam for a while where anytime a Latvian NHL player came to SJ, I would wear my team Latvia Ozolins jersey and watch the away team warmups on the glass....they would always manage to get me a puck :)

I'm very excited about the Balcers pick. A Latvian Hagelin/Zuccarello mix.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad